Author Topic: varmint guns  (Read 1034 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
varmint guns
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:26:06 AM »
well i want to ask you people about something. What are some good varmint/predator  rifle and handguns for about 350-400$? like can a 22Lr/22mag single action do the varmint(FL varmints coon-bevers) job and which is better for predator  a bolt, auto, or single shot like a H&R and what about a 20ga for coyotes or a 12ga?  also what about a laser on a hundgun or 6 shooter for fast shots.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: varmint guns
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:42:57 AM »
It's a big question I'll try my best.
Sounds like your looking for a small/ meduim game gun.
I would say out to 100 yards 22 long rifle out of a rifle would do it.  22mag out to 150 yards.  Cut that in to 1/3 if your looking at a tryin g to do it with a handgun.  I know the guys with the T/C's are ranping up to dump on me but the T/Cs are in the same group as the rifle.
With the rainbow trajectory of the 22LR I don't think a Lazer would be effective 10 yards before or past where you sight in the gun.  Maybe on a 17HMR it would work out of a rifle but not sure.
As for a shot gun.  Your at the 40 yard mark with light shells for your condition.
Now for the cost.  When you say 350 to 400 are you talking about a handgun, rifle, or hunting rig ( Gun, optics, bases, ect)  For a rifle You can get a great CZ 452/3 for the price and depending on model mount a cheap scope as well.  If your talking handgun.  You should look at used guns.  I think even a new Browning Buckmark it going to max out your budget for an improved handgun and you will want a longer barrel.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 02:36:42 AM »
well i want to ask you people about something. What are some good varmint/predator  rifle and handguns for about 350-400$? like can a 22Lr/22mag single action do the varmint(FL varmints coon-bevers) job and which is better for predator  a bolt, auto, or single shot like a H&R and what about a 20ga for coyotes or a 12ga?  also what about a laser on a hundgun or 6 shooter for fast shots.

My varmint gun; a 375 H&H Magnum using Hornady 300 grain FMJ round nosed bullets.  It will put 3 of them into less than an inch at 100 yards off the bench.  The Jackal was taken at night with a spotlight.

Since the targets are small, the first consideration for a varmint gun is accuracy; the particular cartridge you choose isn't that important as long as you use it at the ranges for which it was designed and place the shots well.  Since you'll likely only get one shot before the animal vamooses, you don't need an autoloader.  You shouldn't be counting on "fast shots" with a handgun to net you anything other than air at other than very close range unless you plan to invest several hundred dollars in handgun practice ammo.

Unless you shop for a used gun, your budget is probably only going to buy you a rimfire chambered firearm.  If I were working with your budget, I would look for a good used .224 caliber centerfire rifle with a scope.  There are people that buy guns and tire of them whereupon they trade them in on a new toy before their first gun is even broken in.

A shotgun would work fine for your intended purpose at ranges up to 40 yards as indicated above.  A shotgun would not be my first choice in a varmint gun.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:56 AM »
i was thinking a Heritage revolver ROUGH RIDER COMBO (22 Long Rifle and 22 Magnum) there about 182$ for small game and light varoimts, some kind of 223 bolt or single shot for 400$ or less and maybe a 20GA pump for 40 or less shots. i had a 12GA noble with full coke and buck or # 4-2 shot for most yote(that gun with 22 H&R was 85$ for both). what are some good bolt guns in 223 and what about a 20GA for yotes? this is down the road mind you and at this time for hunting i have save up about 1200$ for guns,gear etc. also scopes are not a problem(i have a lot of them and high powerd scope are always on sale down here ;D)
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »
There are a lot of great guns in 223.  I have a Reminton M700 SPS I got used with a Weaver 6-24X42 scope on it.  But the big varmint guns are really heavy.  I have been looking at the CZ 527 models.  They have a removable mag and the action is actually built for a 223.  It's tricky to get 223 rounds into the 308 sized action quickly.  At least it is for me.  I have a 700 in 308 as well and am used to it.
You may look at the $399 weatherby vanguards or the Howa's by legacy sports has a varmint package that has a 3-9X40 scope already mounted and there are different color stocks that are possible.  I'll see if i can find the website.  Answer back so I can find this thread again.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »
what about a Stevens Model 200($346.00) or a Pardner Pump are they any good? I have some 3-9x,1-10x,8-24x, and one 36x scope. I like to pick up scopes when i can find them cheap.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
Wait are you now back to a scatter gun?  You don't need a high power scoope on a shot gun, if one at all. I thought you said you have a heart problem and can not take heavy recoil.
I still think your best bet is to get a 22LR mount that 3-9 scope on it and shoot it out to 100 yards.  You can slither and sneak to with in 100 yards of something.  If it's close you may want to mount the 1-10X scope and leave it at one or get a red dot.
The website I was talking about yesterday is www.legacysports.com

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
Wait are you now back to a scatter gun?  You don't need a high power scope on a shot gun, if one at all. I thought you said you have a heart problem and can not take heavy recoil.
I still think your best bet is to get a 22LR mount that 3-9 scope on it and shoot it out to 100 yards.  You can slither and sneak to with in 100 yards of something.  If it's close you may want to mount the 1-10X scope and leave it at one or get a red dot.
The website I was talking about yesterday is www.legacysports.com

not a scope on a shotgun, i just have lots of scopes. I had a 12GA before but i shot it was light waterfowl loads and it had a very thick recoil pad on it. I also use to hunt coyotes with my H&R 22LR Field Master at 50 yards or less or with my 1934 380auto. what i really want is a good coyote gun in .223 or 20GA. the other guns i can pick up as needed. i have seen the legacy guns but i want to try to get the Stevens Model 200(it cost the least) or a Pardner Pump(low cost  and i looks like my noble i used to have).

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 05:20:03 AM »
i have found a few good 20GA shotguns used and someone tryed to sell me a win model 100 in 243 for 400$ but i said no. Rifles i more they likely have to buy new cause it's hard to find a used 223 or and 22cal besides 22 rim fire.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 05:57:37 AM »
That M100 would have been perfect for you.
Low recoil.  Good round.  Able to varmint and deer hunt for you.  Oh well.  keep looking.  I see used 223's on a pretty regular basis.
You may want to tell the gun shop what your looking for give them $100 bucks and a phone number to call you if and when they get one in.  You may want to give three or four shops some cash as the first one to gets what you want, you go to the other shops and collect your $ to pay the shop that gets you one first.