Author Topic: Big Bore 94, 375 Win. Peep sight installaton  (Read 892 times)

Offline DC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Big Bore 94, 375 Win. Peep sight installaton
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »
I just bought one of my dream rifles, a BB94 in 375 Win., like new.  I am VERY excited.  Here is the question; Can I mount either a Williams or Lyman Peep on it myself or do I need the help of a gunsmith?  How about a tang sight?
Your help will be appreciated.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline DC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Big Bore 94, 375 Win. Peep sight installaton
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
 Let me add this question..Am I on track in wanting to add peep sights and if so what are your recomendations?
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
You can add a receiver peep easily by yourself, along with the higher front sight that gonna be needed to zero it (because the peep can't get as low as the barrel sight's line-of-sight).

Your BB94 should be factory D/T'd for the special side-mounted peep required for BigBores - the Williams FP-94-375, IIRC.

You can also add a tang peep, but may need a gunsmith to D/T one hole in the top tang for the sight base's forward anchor screw.
A tang sight can be zeroed with the issue height front sight, because it sits behind the receiver, ILO atop it.

Most peep users also remove the rear barrel sight, to clear the peep's sight picture, and fill the dovetail slot with a filler blank.

On some rifles, it may be advantageous to separately zero both a folding rear barrel sight AND a tang peep, each for a different distance (open=short/tang=long), and fold the barrel sight, raising the tanger if/when a long distance shot is called for.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 03:13:30 AM »
Very good info 44.
I really like the idea of the folding rear sight.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07