Author Topic: Question on loads.  (Read 504 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Question on loads.
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »
After reading the information in the stickies about safe/legal loads and what is acceptable I'm wondering if I am reading things right. 

For a 3" Ordnance Rifle the maximum powder charge is 6 oz. of Fg. 
And the maximum projectile weight is 6 1/4 lb. avois. 

Do I have that right? 

I had been hoping to do some shooting with a standard service charge and something approximating the 9.2 pound bolt. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Question on loads.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
I would not use Fg granulation in a 3" rifle unless I absolutely after a lot of effort could not get Cannon grade granulation.  Fg produces a much higher pressure peak than Cannon.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »
Go to the NSSA or AA websites to get the exact formula. Those load are maximum not starting loads. Reduce loads signifcantly.  You should use Cannon grade not Fg.  Expect about 40% increase in pressure usng Fg as a substitute for Cannon grade.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses.   I got my numbers from the N-SSA table. 

I was wondering abut it because the numbers are significantly different than the CW era standard service loads.  I can understand the reduced powder charge.  Our modern powder is more powerful and much more consistant than the powder from 150 years ago. Plus the difference in the grain size.  I hadn't expected that much of a difference in charge weight though.

And it sounds like the 9.2 pound bolts from Paulson are right out. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
Call Paulsens and talk to them about it.  They can advise you.

Also remember that war loads were not for popping holes in paper targets 200 yards away and the load guidelines are designed to be used in equipment 150 years old. 

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »
Call Paulsens and talk to them about it.  They can advise you.

Also remember that war loads were not for popping holes in paper targets 200 yards away and the load guidelines are designed to be used in equipment 150 years old. 

That last is a good point that I hadn't considered. Thanks. 
I'm hoping to eventually find a place to shoot at 1000 yards or better.  But, even at that, the reduced charges should do, it just has to get there, it doesn't have to pound the hell out of something.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »
Just shot my little 2 incher last Sunday at 2,000 meters. Only needed a two ounce charge to reach the target with a 24 ounce ball. It doesn't take a great deal of velocity or powder to reach out quite a distance.

Back in the '60s I shot a 3" Ord Rifle with cast zinc round balls. Just guessing but we probably used about five ounces of powder. We loaded it as if it were a smooth bore and ignored the fact that it was rifled. At 1,000 meters a 50 gal drum was in peril.

The age and value of an original gun is always a consideration.