Author Topic: .45 LC Cast Bullet Loads for Self-Defense  (Read 885 times)

Offline LouisianaMan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
.45 LC Cast Bullet Loads for Self-Defense
« on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:23 AM »
     I've shot a fair amount of 250g RNFP in .45 LC Cowboy shoots, loading them over 7.2 or 7.3g of Win 231 to get a load that I estimated at about 780 fps. Looking at Speer #13, Lyman #46, Hodgdon 2008, and on-line Hodgdon (and other resources), I'm at a loss to determine whether my load is 780 or 900+ fps! Obviously I need a chronograph, but of course those seem to vary, too!
     I would appreciate your suggestions on a 250g RNFP load that would approximate 900-950 fps from my 7 1/2" bbl. Ruger Vaquero, while remaining fully safe in my S&W Mountain Gun 625-7 (4") and Uberti Birdshead Colt-clone 3.5" bbl. I would imagine a 950fps load in the Ruger would be about 800fps from the Uberti.
    Besides a new pound of Win231, I also have a pound of Unique powder available, and based on my low-volume shooting/reloading I would like to limit my options to these two powders.
     Thanks in advance.
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: .45 LC Cast Bullet Loads for Self-Defense
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »
Obviously I need a chronograph,
Yes, ... yes you do!   ;)

a 250g RNFP load that would approximate 900-950 fps from my 7 1/2" bbl. Ruger Vaquero, while remaining fully safe in my S&W Mountain Gun 625-7 (4") and Uberti Birdshead Colt-clone 3.5" bbl.
I think, not being all that familiar with the Vaquero, the key here is the Uberti.  Based on your criteria, forget the Ruger and S&W and load for the Uberti.  Just resign yourself to taking what you get in the other 2.  I believe the standard load for the .45 Colt produced somewhere around 840 - 860 fps so your 800 fps goal should be easily obtainable while remaining within BP pressures.

I also have a pound of Unique powder available,
The vast majority of my reloading is for long guns so there are a lot more knowledgeable people around here who can give you more specific information for hand guns.  But for my 38 Spl., 45C/45ACP, and now 44 Mag. reloading all I use is Unique.  See, you already have twice the options I do, and I reload a LOT!   ;)  ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:42:30 AM »
9.5 grains of unique should get you into the 900 fps ballpark and should be safe in all of your guns.
blue lives matter

Offline LouisianaMan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
Thanks, gents. I'll try that Unique load & put the chronograph on my CHRISTmas list!
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »
I've been reloading pistol and rifle ammo since 1970 or 71. I have never owned or felt the need to own a chronograph. My loads have been extremely accurate in both pistol and revolver, and rifle. I would not spend the money on the chrony unless I just wanted one. The load data, and velocity charts in most reloading manuals is very serviceable, unless one wants to shoot bench rest, or has money to spend for such toys.jmo
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »
Just wanting one was enough reason. It helped explain things that I could only suppose before I got it. It has added another dimension to our 'shooting hobby'.
My Dad thought it was an expensive toy....until...he went with me to the range. All the time I was setting it up and making sure everything was lined up correctly and all, he kept being critical about "such a waste of time". THEN, the first shot lit up the monitor, and he got interested right now. After that, everytime we went, he made sure we had the Chrony and its tripod (which he donated to the cause)!
We got along without it since 1957, but no more! Just go get one. Chrony website even has refurbs fully warranteed for less than $70.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater