Author Topic: BUSHNELL BANNER SCOPE QUESTION (PARALLAX SETTINGS)  (Read 2602 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
BUSHNELL BANNER SCOPE QUESTION (PARALLAX SETTINGS)
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »
Banner model #71-3944 is a 3-9x40mm variable power scope specifically described as a black powder rifle and shotgun scope. Again, this is presumably due to its short range (50 yard) parallax correction
I like to know what if this scope is used on a long range rifle cal.7MM-08
as far as the parallax is set at 50 yards and how will it effect long range shooting out to 200 yards????
I see no specific mention of parallax correction is made in the Bushnell literature or specification sheet on there other scopes they sell

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: BUSHNELL BANNER SCOPE QUESTION (PARALLAX SETTINGS)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »
It will tend to induce a small error to your aiming but really ONLY if you move your eye around. If you put your eye in the same place in relationship to the scope/stock each time it will really have pretty much no effect. Out to 200 yards it shouldn't be blamed for any misses or poor groups you shoot. Way off out there it might.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »
Graybeard : thank you for the reply

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 01:54:27 PM »
You can see the parallax error by looking thru the scope while the rifle is in a solid rest while changing your eye position, aim at a target at the range you want to check it at, look thru the scope without moving the rifle, move your eye position slightly and you'll see the X-hair move in relationship to the target, you'll get an idea how much your eye position can affect POI. When shooting at targets placed at the same range as the scope is parallax error free(50yds in this case), the X-hair won't move when you change eye position.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
TIM: thank you for the update I would say I due position my head the same way each time at the range but in the field this happen fast sometimes and I don't need another thing to look for beside the deer.
I think I will walk it over to the for sale block

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »
   What I like about this scope is the 4" eye relief. Mounting the rifle & scope properly, as suggested by
GB, is just good basic marksmanship anyway. If we don't, some parallax could be an issue with any
scope. And there are more than a few guys out there shooting muzzle loaders 250yds. Has anyone
used this scope successfully on a high power rifle?    ???  Jim
Jim

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:10:25 AM »
If a scope has fixed parallax it is usually set at 50 - 75 - 100 yards depending on it's application. Even a "rifle" scope set up for 100 yards will have parallax issues at 200 yards. No matter where the parallax is set, keep the image as seen through the scope centered and parallax will be a non-issue.  Shot gun/ML scopes are set at 50 or 75 yards to make fast target acquisition a non issue at the ranges they are generally shot at. When there is more time to set up the shot, you can center the scope with the eye, parallax becomes a non issue. I generally like the generous eye relief found on the shotgun/ML scopes and prefer them on the heavier recoiling guns. I never felt I was handicapped because of them.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 03:05:04 AM »
All scopes without a provision for adjusting parallax have the exact same issues it just varies at what distance. Even if it has an adjustment feature your chances of getting all parallax adjusted out are slim. It's more a matter of at what distance you plan to use it most. If most shots will be at 200 or more then having it adjusted further out is helpful.

Really on scopes of 9X and less parallax is really a non issue and should not decide anything for you just ignore it. Once  you reach 10X it really does become an issue and the higher the magnification the more of an issue it is. For a 3-9 scope don't be concerned about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 05:36:15 AM »
Graybeard
thank you for the reply

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
I did part with it but I did try it and found that the parallax setting at 100 yards at full power 9x had no change to the scope with eye movement
I just upgraded it to the Simmons whitetail classic 3.5x10 from Natchez
I heard and read a few good report on the classic whitetail
Thank you guys for the ans: to my question

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
Sorry to break it to ya but you down graded you did NOT upgrade. You had a better scope in the Bushnell. I won't take a Simmons for free.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »
I don't know about that, the Whitetail Classics have an extremely good reputation for a scope today in the $100-$150 range.  Before the original Aetec scope came out (that was a hell of a good scope) the Classics were the top of the line, and retailed in the $200 range.  I've still got an old Cabela's catalog from the late '89 or '90 lying around somewhere and the 2.5-8x36 retailed for $189.  I think that the glass in the Classics is as good or better regarding clarity and light transmission than anything below the Elite in the Bushnell line.  I've had a few Classics and a few Banner/Trophy's, and the Classic is definitely better than the Banner or the Trophy.

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 08:16:16 AM »
I have a pro hunter 3x9x40MM  made by Simmons for a few years now sitting on my 30-06 barrel
Has the  cross hair that turn red at dusk battery operated in the rear of the scope and never gave me any problems.
I also have a Simmons 1.5x5 on a black powder rifle again no problems
I think it just the luck of the draw no matter what mid-range dollars scope you purchase

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »
As long as you believe that and are happy then all is well at your house. I'll use iron sights before I put another Simmons on any of my guns. I've tested the entire Bushnell product line other than the new 6500s and would take them over anything Simmons makes or ever has made.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
I bought one of them same scopes with circle X reticle 71-3944MO! Called bushnell and asked what the parallax setting was! The person asked can I hold! Then he came back on the phone and told me the parallax setting was 100 yards! I asked him twice and he said 100 yards! Its now on my savage 111 30-06! And am happy with it! Dale

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 05:09:04 AM »
As to the Simmons scopes I have had two, a Pro Hunter and a Whitetail Classic. Both died by not holding zero, however the lenses made great magnifying glass to use in my duties as a machinist.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.