Author Topic: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!  (Read 3055 times)

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 02:40:13 AM »
I can remember at the age of 9, pushing a 22" mower around to all the houses who's yards I had to mow in order to get money so I could play golf. Couldn't have a gun. ( Mom had some other weird ways of thinking too. )  This summer, I had to explain over the phone, to a 17 year old, how to start a lawn mower.
Push that little red rubber button on the side, pull cord.  I may not be smarter than a 5th grader, but I still have a thing or two on the a high school senior.
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline Mike Britton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 06:23:36 AM »
It's starting to get deep..........
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 07:06:51 AM »
thats ok the 17 year old can explain the computer to you/us !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 07:10:46 AM »
thats ok the 17 year old can explain the computer to you/us !
Tell me about it! I have to get my 15 year old granddaughter to program my cell phone!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 07:11:46 AM »
glad I'm not the only one

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 09:14:27 AM »
"What we have hea' is a fail-ure to communicate."

It is called TECHNOLOGY SATURATION boys and danged if I ain't got it real bad too. 

Forget MP3. 
Forget IPOD. 
Forget Blue Tooth. 
Forget XM radio. 
Forget Blackberry. 
Forget Text Messaging. 
Forget PlayStation 3, 4, 5...Nth
Forget ALL OF IT!!!

These are the "gifts" us old farts are going to get from our young whippersnappers as they get older and more successful, dag nabbit!

I can't even make the connections between my HDTV, the HD/CD player, and the Home Theater Surround Sound System.  My 17 y.o. does that for himself/me.  When he leaves I will be hamstrung. 

Good thing I kept the instructions and will have a lot of time on my hands to try to decypher the myraid diagrams, schematics, color codes, text shortcuts, and acronyms. 

Keep the guns and ammo securly locked away though.  As the stress mounts, something is liable to get a bullet in it.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »
Really, how many remotes have I ruined throwing them across the room!!!!!

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
I once tried to figure out how these kids can figure all the new fangled stuff out.
The neighbor kid was messing with his new phone ( God I hope I never have to use one like his. )
The whole time hid dad was mowing I was thinking about it. When his dad got done mowing, he was still messing with that phone. Then I figured out where he gets the time to figure out how they work.
Hmmmmmm...................
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »
Wow that must have been so hard on you guys.  I grew up with internet and color tv and Nintendo and central heat and air.  I guess I was spoiled when it came to technology, but electronics still baffle me especially the new stuff.  Don't feel like you had it so bad though.  You took the time to get to know pepole and develop meaningful relationships.  With today's fast pace people are content w/o true friends.  You appreciate what you had more because of all you didn't.  In a way I wish that things were more like they were then now.  It would force families to spend time together and have conversations again.  Kids today are more spoiled even compared to my generation.(I was born in the mid 80's)  As I see it as technology progresses, humanity regresses.

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:37 AM »
(FROM ANOTHER POST IN ANOTHER FORUM - but better suited here - AND DEE CAN HAMMER ME AGAIN ABOUT COPPER, AMMO, AND GAS - if he wants  ;))

When you got your PC you didn't have to solder the printed circuit board together? 

Using the back of your hand, check the output from the high voltage Capacitor? 

Self-program the Operating System, and I don't mean load the disc? 

Experiment with the command DELETE *.*?

You must have come "on-line" during the easy(ier)-going MicroSoft days. 

Well let me tell you, it was WAY differnet in the DOS days.  We punched cards, made chad, created code, and had a technician feed the cards into a light source card reader which transposed the english language into machine language of 1's and 0's.  We used those chads at football games and left the stadium looking like it had just snowed (hehe).  The cleanup crew hated us if it rained the evening after the home game.

Later you had to use IBM machines or the "Apple", whatever that was.  And there was no Hard Drive.  You had to manipulate 5.25-inch floppy disks into the machine with about a 0.00025 Kbps "baud rate" and the speed of a snail across a linoleum floor for input/output.  The computer had about 125 KB of TOTAL storage capacity.  Programs had to run EFFICIENTLY and not use eggregious amounts of high memory storage or the CPU would just sit there and cook - and spend all of your tuition money on CPU connect time.

And the phone would do that ringading-ding-ding-dong.....thingamajig when connecting (oh that was the modem and later in the story...sorry).

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 03:29:23 AM »
Wow that must have been so hard on you guys.  I grew up with internet and color tv and Nintendo and central heat and air.  I guess I was spoiled when it came to technology, but electronics still baffle me especially the new stuff.  Don't feel like you had it so bad though.  You took the time to get to know pepole and develop meaningful relationships.  With today's fast pace people are content w/o true friends.  You appreciate what you had more because of all you didn't.  In a way I wish that things were more like they were then now.  It would force families to spend time together and have conversations again.  Kids today are more spoiled even compared to my generation.(I was born in the mid 80's)  As I see it as technology progresses, humanity regresses.

Heather
OK, lets go off on another tangent, but one I think is valid to this conversation.
If you could choose what period in American history you lived which would it be? For me it would be the turn of the nineteenth century to the twentieth century. Born in 1876, lived into the fifties.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 05:05:59 AM »
RIGHT NOW !

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 05:42:42 AM »
Those golden good old days of the past are gone.  I'm pretty excited to be living in the times that we are.  Technology being what it is the world will have more growth within a humans lifetime in this day and age than at any other time.  And let's face it, air conditioning, filtered water, and mac and cheese isn't too bad.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 06:23:07 AM »
It's romantic to think about the old days. But, considering what modern science and the doctors have done for me, I have to say the present time.
However it would have been nice if our population hadn't exploded and built homes, malls, and you name it in every place I ever hunted as a young guy.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
It's romantic to think about the old days. But, considering what modern science and the doctors have done for me, I have to say the present time.
However it would have been nice if our population hadn't exploded and built homes, malls, and you name it in every place I ever hunted as a young guy.
Good point!! My wife and I have both survived cancers that would have killed us not even 10 years ago!! Not to mention when my cataracts get out of control NOW something can be done.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 07:36:14 AM »
This has been a good read and has brought back a lot of memories.  Thank you
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"