Author Topic: Winchester model 54 .30-30  (Read 1265 times)

Offline live2hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester model 54 .30-30
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:28:39 PM »
Is there a way to mount a scope on the top of this rifle? I have a side mount on it now, but would like to swap it.
Don't argue with an idiot, people will have a hard time telling the difference!

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Winchester model 54 .30-30
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »
Excuse me, but I'm a little confused.

What rifle do you have ?

A Model 94, .30-30 lever action; or a Model 54 bolt-action ?

I'm thinking you typed a "5" ILO a "9" in your OP topic line - and if so, XS Sights makes a leverscout mount that lets one use an intermediate eye relief scope or a pistol scope on a Weaver=type rail anchored in the rear barrel sight dovetail and in two (new) holes drilled/tapped on the front receiver ring, inline with the bore.  The barrel dovetail must be approx 4" from the receiver for it to fit.

I have also mounted a very small 2x scope atop a M-94 bolt, letting it cycle with the bolt - it was a Beeman SS-1 rifle scope, IIRC.

If you actually have a Model 54 boltgun, besides D/T-ing the receiver top, I would think it's gonna need a bolt handle bend/job and a safety change.
YMMV, but I wouldn't do it to a nice old bolter like that.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline live2hunt

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »
No need to be confused. This gun IS a Model 54 bolt action. If it takes that much work, I won't do it. Besides the D/T for the side scope, this gun is cherry. Thanks for your input.
Don't argue with an idiot, people will have a hard time telling the difference!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
I'd keep it cherry if i were you.

Offline Tallwalker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
I saw a Model 54 sporter the other day with a top mounted scope. Of course you have to drill, and tap some holes (not good for collector value unless the side mount holes were added already as they probably were) the other problem is the wing on the safety. The one I looked at had not been altered, and the mounts were high enough to clear it. You are very lucky to have one in 30-30! I have seen one of them in my life, and nearly 40 years later I still kick myself sometimes for not buying it.