Author Topic: great articles on H&R trap shotgun  (Read 920 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
great articles on H&R trap shotgun
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:42:21 AM »
been watching this a while now,  great read , the guys really interesting
http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/threads.cfm

scroll down , its call H&R trap gun part 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: H&R Trap gun, part 1
Email:
Date: Sat, Oct 04, 2008 - 05:35 PM ET
Website Address: http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

My Topper Trap gun FINALLY arrive and I picked it up this morning from Guns Galore in Fenton. After taxes, the gun cost $339, which I didn't think was bad, slightly below where I've seen them eslewhere. While there, I opted to purchase a Briley extended full choke tube (Browning Invector), being that the gun come with only an improved modified (I'm partial to full choke for Trap).

Now, you must understand, I'm not working for one of those bias shooting mags that give EVERY gun they test a flowery two thumbs up even if it's a polished turd. I'm being completely and utterly impartial here, but we must keep in mind that this gun is what it is....a Topper. It's a very cheap, simple, basic design that has been around for many decades. That being said, it does have a very good reputation and a place in the hearts from the many of us who may have broken our first hand thrown clays in a nearby field.

My first impressions? I was personally very impressed with the vent ribbed barrel complete with center bead and screw in choke system. The thick Decelorator pad was a great feature, but is very sloppy where it meets the butt. The wood is a low grade walnut with what appears to be a lacquer finish, not great, but I have seen worse on more expensive guns. I like the cut checkering and it has a very nice pattern with a diamond area in the mid point. I don't think that the guy who worked on the forearm even knows the person who did the stock because the finish appears to be a bit different and the two pieces are likely not even from the same tree.

At the patterning board, I checked from a rest at 13 yards and then at 30. The ammo was Federal Top Gun 3 1/4dr 1 1/8oz. Now, here is where I was impressed. THE GUN SHOOTS STRAIGHT. I was a bit surprised. It's flat as hell, but straight. I've patterned my share of guns and have always been amazed at how many high production guns (and even some mid range target guns) fail this first step in checking POI. If the dang thing doesn't shoot straight, you got a problem and fitting from that point is a waste of time.

Typical 13 yard pattern:

30 yard (sorry, I didn't trace a 30" circle, but you can get the point):

At the range, we didn't have a lot of time left, but me and my buddy were SMOKING the targets all the way back to the 27. I will do this properly later and post scores for you, but like I said...ran out of time. The recoil was no issue what so ever with my buddy, but it was a bit much for me. That being said, it was far less than I thought it would be. We both were anticipating that the hammer pull was going to be an issue, but it was actually VERY light and easy with no pain or fatigue developing on the thumb. The gun broke open very crisp and smoothly and shells ejected back approx. 2 feet. So far, our impression is VERY favorable. This really isn't a bad little gun and when you consider the money a real bargain.  More in a week. I'm installing a Adjustable LOP Gracoil unit, and adjustable comb, adding weight to the forearm and stock to bring it up from the current 6 3/4 lbs up to around 8 1/2lbs.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please post them!

Reply to the Forum Thread

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: great articles on H&R trap shotgun
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:32:24 AM »
I don't have any intrest in the gun it's self but have been curious about the stocks since they were anounced. I was hoping some one who had one would have more flattering remarks of the stock as I was gonna try and buy the set when I sent my frame in for a 30-30 bbl to do the 30-40 Krag haven't talked to them yet though to see if they are availible in the accesory program. Hope the gun finds it's nitch on the trap range though. Thanks for the post Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »
I read a review on this gun in some magazine I get from a dedicated shotgunner. He admitted he had taken one big game animal in his entire hunting career. He is a dedicated wing shooter period. He is also a regular trap shooter.

He and friends I think fired roughly a thousand rounds thru it and he shot about half of them him self. He claimed to have liked it so well that he purchased it even tho the number of them for writers was limited and they really didn't want him to do that. He shot several rounds of 100 targets with it three or four as I recall and each time bettered his personal average score. That at least speaks highly to the gun shooting where it looks and patterning well. I suspect that the reason is more the open choke and he is used to a full choke as the primary reason for the better scores.

On the gun in the article there was a good close up view of the stock and I must admit I as impressed. The fit of wood to metal was very good not the usualy gross mismatch of wood and the one he had was nicely finished and the pad appeared to fit well to the stock. There was decent grain to the wood on his.

I know no more than that but at least the one example he had seemed better than the one reported on here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
if yu read on  down hes ading a adjustable comb and a graco recoil  reducer  to it

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
That is what I thought to GB of the promotional pics I have seen I thought the one I had seen looked very nice but you can't be to sure sometimes with the pictures they publish. I guess I should call the factory and see if they are even available to buy or if you have to buy the whole gun. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:55:12 AM »
Is the Trap barrel available through the accessory program?  I had a 28" 12GA fixed 'full' added to my 45 Colt Carbine, with the intention of shooting trap.  Have not shot it yet and doubt I'll ever be brave enough to try 3" Magnums, with that steel butt plate.  However, reduced target loads should be fun for a round or two of trap. 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »
As a suggestion re: the steel buttplate, I will admit I am not the first to do this but I did do it. I cut one of my Buff Classic buttstocks flat. I removed the curved section, then mounted and fitted a recoil pad to the stock. It looks and works great...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley