Author Topic: Deer in Yard...Ethical Issue...  (Read 2920 times)

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Deer in Yard...Ethical Issue...
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:42:16 AM »
I have about 8 to 10 acres around my house that is all open fields before you get to my woods.  There are deer constantly out there feeding and playing about 100 yards from my house.  Once season comes around, would you guys shoot a deer in your "yard" if you needed the meat?  I definitely hunt for meat, not trophy.

I like having the "hunt" experience but if it gets further into season and I don't have anything, those deer in my yard are going to start looking awfully tempting.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Re: Deer in Yard...Ethical Issue...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:52:12 AM »
If a guy needs meat to feed himself & family by all means go get those deer!  Not all hunting is climbing over mountains and wading through a river.  You could always make it more of a hunt by putting up a blind or tree stand rather than just sticking the gun out the window and letting the bullets fly. 

I wouldn't look down on a guy who shot a deer on his own land to help feed his family. 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 02:18:54 AM »
Quote from: teddy12b
...a guy who shot a deer on his own land...

...is what it is all about.  Well said (in total) teddy12b. 

This is ultimately what all of us want to do.  It just doesn't get any better.  And you should take advantage of those deer there now.  As the season puts pressure on them, they may just "disappear" or go nocturnal.

There is positively nothing wrong with shooting deer in your front yard.  Go get 'em!  Then post us a good story about it. 

Bon Appetite!

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:53:06 AM »
I figured as much but it just doesn't make for as good of a hunting story with my buddies. :)

I'm sure they'll scatter as soon as season opens but they'll be back in the evenings.  They were last year at least...

There is one deep chocolate doe that is putting on a lot of weight and looking REALLY tasty! haha

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:08:47 AM »
When you're telling your buddies, make sure you do it around the grill and pass around some A1 or other sauces for their steaks.  They'll understand when they've cleaned their plate.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:28:42 AM »
I live on 10.1 ac. its a funny shape , much like a martini glass , its called a flag lot . We have to have 250' road frontage to build . ( flag lots are no longer allowed ) .
Well my 2 sons and myself have gotten does to 8 pointers , rabbit , squrril , racoon , opposum , crow and several wild turkeys with beards over 12 inches .
Hunt your land and enjoy - you pay the taxes don't you !
I was lucky in that i have a long lot with a creek bottom . Also i got out in front of urban sprawl and have had 10 years of wild life being forced my way . It won't last for ever but its good when you can just open the kitchen window and collect dinner !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 04:46:14 AM »
My sisters yard is 12000 acres....we shoot deer on it every year. There is definitely a 'hunt factor' there tho.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:48:01 AM »
the deer can only take up so much space and dosent know property lines !

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:55:11 AM »
I have 25 acres total and hunt mostly in my woods and the surrounding land.  Looks like this year I'll hunt from my porch too.  :)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 04:57:19 AM »
I agree. Have at it. Many would love to be in your situation...me included. I've had a strong interest in hunting for 22 years but have only hunted a small number of times because I grew up not knowing anyone who hunted nor a place to hunt. My experiences have been guided/outfitter hunts for hogs and exotics. I would love a place to hunt whitetail...THAT CLOSE TO HOME.

My parents have a house in Massachusetts on a 1 acre lot that backs to 100 acres of Town forest. Deer are constantly in their yard along with turkey and squirrel. I would love to take a deer for the grill, but it's illegal.

Here in FL, my house sits on a 1/4 acre lot with another 353 houses on 1/4 acre lots in the neighborhood. My house backs up to a golf course and I have rabbits daily in my back yard. I'd love to take a few if I didn't think my neighbors would see me and call the police. So....I sit and wait and hope that one year I can go hunting somewhere. Probably won't happen soon though.

Enjoy what you have...you are truly lucky!! And send me some burgers will ya? ha ha.  
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 05:02:05 AM »
BRL think trap !

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 05:07:47 AM »
I have no problem killing a deer in the yard. Just go kill the deer many guys here would love to have that opportunity.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 05:53:12 AM »
Well, I'd like to chime in with an opposing viewpoint......but I can't.
You're just like most of us and can really use/need the meat.

You can still go out and hunt other areas, with more challenge or whatever you want to call it. But when it comes down to it, the point is simple: harvest an animal and eat it
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 05:55:54 AM »
I don't see where ethcis has anything to do with it. We all hunt for different reasons. If your reason is to put food in the freezer and on the table then the where and how if it aren't that important. For some it's all about the hunt and how it's conducted and if you're one of those types then nope that wouldn't fulfill your need. You just need to decide which you are and act accordingly.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
Most all of us would do it... It's like some have said its not hunting though...

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »
I guess that's where I was coming from...the fact that it's not hunting.  We're allowed to take four deer (one antlered) each year.  While I don't want to take all four in my yard, I'll definitely get some meat out of it.  I really enjoy "the hunt".

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 07:36:28 AM »
Personally, the only thing I shoot in my yard is Hogs and vermin such as coyotes.... The wild hogs are very good eating... So I guess I'm meat hunting as well....I usually pass on the deer because I only see about 3 different deer passing through and like seeing them... As far as deer hunting goes I normally pass on does anyhow...

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
Quote from: XD9
...it just doesn't make for as good of a hunting story with my buddies...
  :o  :o  :o

Don't tell them you shot them in your front yard!!!   :-X   Before you know it, your "buddies" will be all over your yard messing you up and trying to get them for themselves!!! 

Knowing where the deer are is the first hunting hurdle - AND IT'S A SECRET!   Get it?   If you give that information away to your buddies, they are GOING to mess you up.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 07:46:09 AM »
the hunt is finding game , who said how big the blind could be ? is it hunting for the guy that drives 1500 miles gets in a blind an outfiter sets up and shoots a deer ?
ok then get up drive a few miles come home and shoot the deer , then every one will feel warm and fuzzy !

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 08:08:22 AM »
the hunt is finding game , who said how big the blind could be ? is it hunting for the guy that drives 1500 miles gets in a blind an outfiter sets up and shoots a deer ?
ok then get up drive a few miles come home and shoot the deer , then every one will feel warm and fuzzy !

I like that idea. Load up the car and drive around a couple miles and come back  :)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »
LOL... Drive to the gas station get some coffee to simulate the ride to the woods and then hike in from the end of the drive to your 2000 sq. ft. shooting house....LOL... If you want to feel more sporting you could always drag him to the skinning rack lol...

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 08:36:46 AM »
Just a thought-
How about 'creating a hunt' .... stalking and deciding on a self-imposed distance to shoot. I hunted the sagebrush plains and desert of SW Wyoming for 18years. Most fun I had was low-crawling my Dad through the sage to a spot just 65 yards from the lead cow he had picked out. He could have shot her from 300yards 'like the big guys', but we were 'hunting' not just 'shooting'. I've shot antelope at under 25 yards and deer just beyond kissing distance. My sister watched me stalk to within 20ft of a 5pt Mule deer buck. That was exciting!! I've never used a tree stand nor a blind...I have the need to move too much.

Make it what you want, but by all means, harvest at will. It is your property..what time is the BBQ?

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »
I think I'll get up in the morning...shoot one...and go back to SLEEP!!  I can clean it later.  That's the only bad part about hunting is getting up before dawn!

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »
Sorry, had to add another post to get number 200!! haha  ;D

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »
I say "go for it".  As long as it's done safely, humanely and legally, I see no issue with ethics. Consider it harvesting organic food from your own land. IMHO, it's still more of a hunt than ridin' an ATV out to a elevated hut overlookin' a bait pile.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »
if you get the deer to stand under the kids swing set all you will need is a rope to hang it where you shot it to gut it .
and a word of caution - make sure muzzle is as far as possible out the window . things fall off walls if not ! and you will be asking people to repete what they say to you for some time to come !
don't ask how i know !

By the way i plan a deck with a hot tub/spa . Anyone know who makes one with a rifle rest and gun rack ?

the only other thing you might need would be a feeder repeter !

Offline blackbear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »
I once shot a deer in my bathrobe, how he got my bathrobe I will never know!
I grew up in " The Cities" and we always went North to hunt deer. Now I live up North and guys up here go further North. If you hunt around the Twin Cities area there is no limit ( on does) because there are so many deer there. Good deer hunting is where you find it.
Teach a kid to shoot, hunt and vote.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 03:33:54 PM »
""I once shot a deer in my bathrobe, how he got my bathrobe I will never know! """

blackbear, now that was funny

I just bought a house on 5 acres. My 5 acres back up to a big chunk of woods & farms From my bedroom window, Ive got a 100yard shot thru some pines. Dont even have to get out of bed. Use the headboard as a rest. I gave the wife some earplugs "Just in case".  I say shoot one. & eat it
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
by all means shoot one , it is better than shooting one like they do on the t.v. shows from a stand while they are eating under a feeder.all the while pushing sent lock clothes (wonder who fills the feeders), range finders,(like they don't know to the inch how far away the feeder is)And they dont even need the meat
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 02:10:11 AM »
I have about 8 to 10 acres around my house that is all open fields before you get to my woods.  There are deer constantly out there feeding and playing about 100 yards from my house.  Once season comes around, would you guys shoot a deer in your "yard" if you needed the meat?  I definitely hunt for meat, not trophy.

I like having the "hunt" experience but if it gets further into season and I don't have anything, those deer in my yard are going to start looking awfully tempting.

Just put up some signs "Trespassers will be shot"

That way you only shoot the deer that can't read or the ones that blatantly violate the rules! - You'll be helping the survival of the species.  ;D
    Ray