Author Topic: Deer in Yard...Ethical Issue...  (Read 2921 times)

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Deer in Yard...Ethical Issue...
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 02:37:04 AM »
I have the same type set up where I live. I live on about 150 acres with about 40 acres of hardwoods in the middle. My walk to get to the hardwoods though takes me about 600 yards across open fields. No telling how many time I have not made it to the hardwoods before harvesting a deer. The biggest 8 point I have ever seen was about 200 yards behind my house.

I say shoot, shoot, shoot. It is your land and your table it will be served on.

Good luck and good shooting my friend.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline kevthebassman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 02:40:20 AM »
Hell, around here the deer critters are as abundant as blackbirds.  Taste a lot better too. 

I say shoot, eat, and be happy.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 03:12:22 AM »
At my last place, I'd often have 35 or more deer in the front yard.

I shot and ate a half a dozen or so every year, mostly small does as they are easier to handle than a larger deer.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
I had a buddy that hunted hard 4 days but ended up killing a big buck from the comode on the morning that he decided to sleep in.   Sometimes you just have to hunt where the deer are. BTW he really rung his ears by shooting out of the window. I don't recomend hunting from the comode, LOL ;D

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
If anyone rips you for it make him 2 burgers, one from the yard and one from a deer shot 2 mi. off the road and ask which one tastes better. I have 7.6 ac in northern Wi. I hunt 75 yds from the cabin since my son started hunting with me 4years ago. We have shot 5 deer together. One buck, 2 nubbs two fawn does. I wont take him way back on the public land in case I cant get out. Later, ihookem.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 01:49:19 AM »
They're showing up in the yard less and less as the days go by.  I think someone has warned them that Muzzle Loader season starts Saturday.  They're thick in the evening (after shooting light) but not so much during the day now.  I'm hoping to get one fairly early Saturday so I have time to skin and butcher it in the same day.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:02 AM »
I bet the deer started reading the forum and know your planning their demise....  ;D

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »
I hate to say it but after you take the first one, They will be much harder to kill in the yard.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 04:56:07 AM »
for a day or 2
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »
Might be less than a few hours if the deer there are thick where you are.  I have killed a 2nd deer from the same stand within hours (many times less).

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 09:38:41 AM »
The first deer I ever took dropped right there and 10 - 20 minutes later a nice buck came walking by and stood there and looked at it.  He stomped his feet a little here and there, and eventually left but a dead deer didn't faze him one bit.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »
The first deer I ever took dropped right there and 10 - 20 minutes later a nice buck came walking by and stood there and looked at it.  He stomped his feet a little here and there, and eventually left but a dead deer didn't faze him one bit.

Why didn't you get the buck too?  ???
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »
I was on the most expensive hunting trip of my life to date and it was the first morning.  I was all proud of my new little tree stand video camera harness and wanted to get some great footage of deer.  I was basically fooling around with my video camera trying to get it all on tape.  I got it, but later on that night when I saw the video I got a much better view of the bucks rack.....  I shoulda shot him, it was a big ten point.  I don't feel bad about letting a deer walk, but it was bigger than the 8pt I ended up with.  It's like salt in an open wound to show people that video. 

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 03:19:22 PM »
I've heard lots of times where a deer would come up to a dead cousin and pay their last respects.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Chicken Fried Deer steak!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2008, 09:02:33 AM »
They're showing up in the yard less and less as the days go by.  I think someone has warned them that Muzzle Loader season starts Saturday.  They're thick in the evening (after shooting light) but not so much during the day now.  I'm hoping to get one fairly early Saturday so I have time to skin and butcher it in the same day.

Deer in my swamps know how to read , I swear .
They problably read the regulations manual cause I see plenty of bucks before opener while scouting .......opening day you better get one in the morning because they are gone and nocturnal from then on.
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2008, 12:29:16 PM »
Actually they can and do read quite well but it's not the written word they read but the increase in human activity and shots being fired they read. They understand very well what it means to them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »
Around here it's the 10 vehicles surrounding the section and guys shooting into the creeks and ditches to get them moving that seems to be a pretty good tip-off for the deer herd to get their track shoes on.

I would say you've let the deer feed on your land and you are actually in a good position to help manage the population you've watched all year. Pick out the ones that will taste the best or that you'd like on your wall and have at it.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 04:10:26 PM »
I too have 10 acres bordering hundreds of acres. I tend to shoot turkey and does near the house. They fill the freezer and the crock pot, so who cares. I would not shoot from the house, but sneaking aroudn the side and getting a shot off is still tricky.

I do like to sit in a treestand and take deer coming and going (specifically bucks). I find that keeps the hunt wild and real in terms of fair chase. Just becasue it is only 200ft from the house doesn't make it any less challenging. That is the reality of the sub-urban hunters. We don't have the acreage to call it a wilderness hunt, but it is still hunting. This isn't 1890, we're not Teddy Roosevelt.

Offline blackbear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 04:56:26 PM »
How about me shooting deer in your yard and you shooting deer in mine?
Teach a kid to shoot, hunt and vote.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 02:29:46 AM »
how about a bear in your yard and a deer in mine ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »
some of the biggest deer i know killed around my parts were killed in the persons backyard.....one of my buddies daddy even had a shooting window put in his bathroom..........go for it.......
also to brl.......call a wildlife damage control agent.......i am 1 but you need one in your state......if the bunnies are eating your floweres, pansies whatever he can write you a permit to trap them or shoot them...even out of season  .......the agent doesnt have to do the killing in most states.............you may be able to shoot  1 legally,  that is if your town doesnt have an ordinace on air rifles........mack