Author Topic: Show us some hogs!  (Read 89639 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Show us some hogs!
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
Zeeks...REAL NICE HOG!

Offline Zeeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »
Thanks Land Owner,
   This was my first hog.  It was a birthday present from my wife who filmed it.
  She paid for it too :))))    I'll just have to keep her around.   I shot this hog at Double D Ranch in southern Ohio.  I know, fences...   He was estimated at 750# and was 8 feet long.  After 6 1/2 hours, up & down hills, I was given a chance to get him.   Since then, I've learned alot from this site and others.  Wrong ammo, ROE (what a joke), Taxidermist (time & effort).  I really wanted a true Russian boar.  Maybe next time, Bear Mountain in Michigan.  But heck, he looks good on the wall and not everyone around here in NW Ohio has one. :) 

Pat    p.s.  I'm hooked

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2009, 09:03:13 AM »
Here are some pics of the mount of my first (and only) boar. I killed him 5 years ago in April of 2004. We didn't weigh him but estimated him at 225-250.
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »
I like it!!!!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »
Nice boar TTank..   Thats what I thought I was after.  Maybe if work would pickup I could get another.

Offline betterspine

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
These are my first hogs using my new Vanguard .308
I hope you like them.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »
Now that's a MEAT WAGON there betterspine!  What a haul.  One hunter?  One day?  Tell me more about that 308.

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »
Here's some i shot with my 460xvr..

Offline betterspine

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2009, 02:54:45 AM »
Now that's a MEAT WAGON there betterspine!  What a haul.  One hunter?  One day?  Tell me more about that 308.

Land_Owner: this is my second rifle. The first was a Mauser 1909 rebarreled in .308W with a poor accuracy (sold it). I bought this W Vanguard in past December and find good handloads that improve the factory accuracy seriously. The hunting was in Sauce, Corrientes, Argentina. Two Hunters (a friend and I) and one rifle (My Vanguard). In the afternoon of the second day we find a lot of hog eating below an Algarrobo (Tree). I hunted two and my partnet the others in half an hour, then backing to the ranch I hunted the both Guazunchos (Mazama americana) one of them with a direct hit in the head.
The Vanguard: a perfect tool, for me.

Salutations from Corrientes, Argentina!

Offline Jacko

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »
No decent Boars with tusks here folks , excuse the quality of the photo's .

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, "You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."

Charles Darwin

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2009, 02:43:22 PM »
very cool Jack!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »
Here's a sow i shot with my knight big horn 50.cal.......

Offline super mario

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • boardstobeauty
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:39 PM »
heres one I shot last weekend, killed it with my .22 hornet and new scope, a mueller 4x16 red dot, perfect for night hunting these guys.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2009, 12:20:35 AM »
Great looking hogs! 

Interestingly, I have not seen a hog since NOVEMBER 2008 and I have been there at least once a week since.  I dunno where they all went, but it has been a VOID at my place for 7 MONTHS.  Could there be a disease in my area?  I just don't get it.  Lead Poisoning perhaps?  I am typically inundated with hogs year-round.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2009, 03:08:21 AM »
Landowner, the hogs have been sparse here.  I'm seeing a few, but not nearly as many as this time last year.  I talked to another guy the other day about coming out to his place to hunt and he is overrun.  So maybe I'll have better luck there.  I'm not really going to complain too much about fewer hogs, though. 

Offline norman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
  • Liberal, Kansas
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2009, 04:17:19 AM »
 Hey Landowner, if the hogs come back I would be more than glad to help you get rid of them!  I just got a 336 in .35 Remington and have another 336 in 30-30 and would really like to blast a hog for the freezer.  Know what I mean?
I also have a friend that would like to get some meat for his freezer so if you need some help when they come back let me know OK.

Norman

Interestingly, I have not seen a hog since NOVEMBER 2008 and I have been there at least once a week since.  I dunno where they all went, but it has been a VOID at my place for 7 MONTHS.  Could there be a disease in my area?  I just don't get it.  Lead Poisoning perhaps?  I am typically inundated with hogs year-round.
[/quote]

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »

At my friends place they are like that as well, here is a shot of some one weekend while we were re-decking a lowboy trailer,

The image is sort of fuzzy as it was pulled off my video camera. Later that same evening I had close to 100 come across the pasture right up to the truck, and got video of some of it before they busted me. Looked like a herd of giant ants coming in the dark. Two weeks later, we couldn't even find a fresh sign of them even being there.

As for pic's here are a few of the ones we have taken there, and a couple of the last one's I got at our place,

Grandson's first ever anything,

Good Friends 320# meat sow,

45 minute round trip from leaving the barn to time to break out the knives,

360# boar, which had been cut and released. Heck we didn't even know he was a he until we got it loaded up.

200# boar with some serious cutters,

The big boar that almost did me in, literally,

My largest to date. The picture doesn't do the size of this one justice. It bottomed out a 300# scale before we got it half way up. Took two 128qt to hold it trimmed and quartered. Hams weighed 45# ea after we cut the 3" of fat off them. Backstraps were close to 4" in diameter. Awesome meat hog.

My first with a bow,

Last Sunday morning with my Taurus 454,

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2009, 02:02:31 AM »
41 Mag...those are some good hogs!  Where in the world are you that has so many pork chops running around?  Your grandson sure should be pleased.  Forty-five minutes eh?  Yeah, I have had a few hunts like that too.  Ain't it Great?  I see at least two more hogs, or hog parts, besides "Boss Hog" in that last photo.  There's "Mr. Hog" and "Mr. Hog Leg".  Nice!

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2009, 02:46:14 AM »
Land_Owner,

The place in the last couple of pic's is our family place up in Anderson Co. It has a few that come across it on a semi regular basis. That last one, I was actually trying for them with my bow, but after the previous weekend and them being out of range, I decided to haul the hog leg down with me along with the bow. Worked out great for a spot and stalk, and I laid the bow down and headed in with the 454 through the thick stuff, where the bow would have been useless.

The others were taken from a very close friends place in Houston Co. It has close to a mile of river bottom along the Trinity. It is so thick in a lot of places that even with dogs, it is generally only a one or two hog hunt. However there are a couple of places that they will pack up in quite large groups to ride out the heat of the day and when we find them like that we wear them out. There are a couple in those woods that are much bigger than the ones I have posted. Lots of corn, pecans, and other goodies around that area for them to grow on. I had one in a standoff last Oct after getting out of my bow stand that easily went 400# and the bow was hanging from the let down line. It wouldn't have been fun had it decided to quit growling and charge. I might have survived but no doubt would have felt it for a while. I saw him two other times while hunting that stand out of range of the bow or behind too much trash for a shot with the rifle or handgun. HE is worth of trophy status with any.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »
They're not huge, but here's some of what we've been able to do this year.  These were all killed since March.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2009, 02:58:07 AM »
Sure am glad you guys are posting hog pics.  I have just about forgotten what they look like, both in-hand and on the hoof!  Real nice haul jmayton.  Size does not matter in hog hunting.  Just getting out there and finding some to shoot is the right ticket.  There is no "End of Line: with hogs.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2009, 07:56:34 AM »
It's still slow.  We've gotten 18 this year, but last year by this time we had nearly 30. 

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2009, 02:51:40 PM »
Hogs gentlemen ARE NOT TERRITORIAL IN THE LEAST. They move for two reasons and two reasons only. FOOD SUPPLY, AND PRESSURE.
If the food supply is good, and no pressure, I have seen them over they years have game trails that look like cow trails if your familiar with cattle. I have also seen a "hog infestation" disappear almost over night with few killed when hunters found them and moved in. ESPECIALLY those hunters using dogs.
On the other hand, when mast (acorns, pecans, ect) are exhuasted the hogs will leave on their own, hunting food.
Last year where I live, (North Central Texas), the acorn, and native pecan did not do very well, and the rain was a little off. NO HOGS!
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bow777

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

210Lbs

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »
Excellent  Bow!!  Well done!

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »
My first hog:

My second hog:

A small group:

Yummy pork:

My favorite:

Here is a few of my hogs. Enjoy.

NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »
I Like'm Elmer!!!!

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
Finally got something that I could hang on the wall. . .but I'll just post the pictures instead.  It's much cheaper.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2009, 03:41:01 AM »
Whoew  Jay!!!!!

VERY NICE!!!!!

Offline ironglowjr

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
here is a hog i stuck in kite ga...close 2 400 lbs