Author Topic: grants  (Read 887 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
grants
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »
My son is in eighth grade and I am looking for grants to send him to a private high school. Tuition around here is anywhere between 7-9 thousand dollars and with my daughter in grade school and having to pay now for after school care for her since her brother won't be able to walk her home I really can't afford it.

Does anyone have experience with applying for state or federal tuition grants for high school? I can find all kinds of info for college but not for high school.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: grants
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:08:23 PM »
Huh???

Troy

.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »
I've no heard of grant money for high school tuition and don't know if such a thing exist.  If it does and you find out something about it let us know.

My daughter is has been a straight A student all threw school and even had the honor of attending the National Young Scholar program held at Wake Forest University this past summer.  When she is ready for high school I would love to have more options available than public school.  There is a reputable Christian high school in our area but like you I would find the tuition cost to be a real struggle, one that I am not sure I could take on if the economy has not improved by then. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »
Scholarship is about your only hope for high school.  I did a lot of research when I wanted to change from a public school to a private one, and the only federal $ I could find was for college.

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
Scholarship is about your only hope for high school.  I did a lot of research when I wanted to change from a public school to a private one, and the only federal $ I could find was for college.

Heather

Does anyone offer scholarships for private high schooling?

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 03:06:14 PM »
I'm not sure. I was hoping to get some info here. Grants, tuition assistance, scholarships, I know of a couple of guys that got sports related scholarships for high school but they were recruited by their respective schools.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
I am a son of a teacher and for education but using tax dollars to send jr. to a private school?  NO WAY!

If you can't afford it send him to a public school, you are already paying for it you should use it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
I sent my son to a private Christian ran school it was not nearly as expensive as most private schools.  He graduated with honors  2 yrs ahead of his class at the age of 16. No secular theology was taught just good Christian values and academics of the highest standards. He will be sending his son there also. My wife and I now sponsor 2 other children with tuition for the school.
You might check into this in your area a lot of these type schools have a sponsor program.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Brett

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
I am a son of a teacher and for education but using tax dollars to send jr. to a private school?  NO WAY!

Why not?   If our public schools are not or can not meet our needs and are pushes liberal ideas that I we do not agree with why shouldn't we be able to choose the education we want for our children?

If you can't afford it send him to a public school, you are already paying for it you should use it.

My child is gifted and she is often bored with school because the public schools teach to the level of the lowest common denominator thanks to the "No child left behind" mandate.  The AIG program at our school is pretty much a joke.  They do things like play Monopoly and Soduku (sp?). My wife and I work with her at home as best we can given the fact that we both work.  We can't help but often think that her public education is a waste of time and that she could really excel if she got more one on one time with her educators and was really challenged by her schoolwork. 

I would love to see a voucher system or a tax credit so that I could give her the education she deserves. 

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 02:49:03 AM »
Those are the catholic schools in my area. The prices are unbelievable. The public school system here stinks, that's why they both went to a catholic grade school. I just can't afford the both of them with the added cost of after school care for my 7 year old daughter. Any info on scholarships or tuition assistance or other ideas would be appreciated.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:25:50 AM »
Can you move into a better neighborhood with better schools? Or get a second job?

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 03:36:38 AM »

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 03:41:15 AM »
That was my plan, to move before he got into high school. Unfortunately now is a good time to buy a house but I don't think I will be able to seel the one I currently own.

As for a better or second job. I thought of that also. I actually have a pretty good job it's just that between the 4 grand for grade school, 3 grand for after school care and 9 grand for high school I could not afford to live in a crappy apartment let alone a house. The second job is out because I work very frequently on short notice. End of the day overtime requests, 12 hours a day seven days a week for a month or so, around the clock shifts occassionally and some out of town travelling.

The way I see it I have three choices:

1-Move and possibly forfeit my house to the bank beacuse I can't afford to pay two mortgages for very long.

2-Send my son into an overcrowded public school system that is drug and gang ridden.

3-Try and find some kind of funding to send him to a perochial school.

I'm trying my best to stay with my third option.

ms thanks for the post. I was looking into moving to Naperville because of the good schools.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
I don't know what the situation is where you live. I do believe for the most part folks live where they want to live or at least don't want to live elsewhere badly enough to do what is needed to move. Yes that fits me I'm not willing to do what it would take to leave here and go here I'd really prefer to be.

Myself and ALL members of my familly have gone thru the public school system. Put me firmly into the group who feels that if you can't afford to do otherwise you need to either a. home school or b. send them to public school. I do not believe someone else should foot the bill for anyone to send their kids to private schools it just goes against everything I stand for. It's called a hand out really no matter how ya slice it.

Nothing against you personally just the way I view such matters no matter who is affected. I hate what America is becoming but only by good folks taking a stand and saying no more to hand outs can we ever turn it back around.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
It is my fault for titling this post grants. I also mentioned scholarships, whether grade based or sports based or whatever different kinds there are. If your kid had a chance to go to a better school because he got good grades would you turn it down as a handout? How about a sports scholarship? I see those as different because it takes hard work to be able to get them.

Actually to me, education grants or tuition assistance is the one government handout I can agree with. Giving people that would otherwise have no way of getting a decent education a better chance of making something out of themselves. I see it as an investment in future generations that hopefully will pay off somewhere down the road.

Also, I am just seeking information on the subject so I can make a more informed decision about what to do. If I have to move so be it, but it pains me to have to walk away from the house my children were born in and I and my wife have spent many years in and have to give it back to the bank with nothing to show for it.

For some reason if I were a member of a minority group I would have no problem finding ways to help or even pay his tuition completely but that's a whole other topic.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
I don't think even if you did belong to a minority group you could find the help you seek. I really don't think grants or scholarships exist for private school. Colledge is another story though. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »
As I stated above Dale, I know personally two people that had full scholarships to perochial school because they were recruited for sports. They are out there, I just don't know where to look.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 02:23:53 PM »
One of my daughters went to Nazareth in LaGrange Park, one went to Benet in Lisle, both excellent.  Call them and see what you might be able to do.  Lyons Twp. is still a good school, Brookfield is in their district and more should be affordable than other towns in Dist 204.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Brett

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »
I don't know what the situation is where you live. I do believe for the most part folks live where they want to live or at least don't want to live elsewhere badly enough to do what is needed to move. Yes that fits me I'm not willing to do what it would take to leave here and go here I'd really prefer to be.

Myself and ALL members of my familly have gone thru the public school system. Put me firmly into the group who feels that if you can't afford to do otherwise you need to either a. home school or b. send them to public school. I do not believe someone else should foot the bill for anyone to send their kids to private schools it just goes against everything I stand for. It's called a hand out really no matter how ya slice it.

Nothing against you personally just the way I view such matters no matter who is affected. I hate what America is becoming but only by good folks taking a stand and saying no more to hand outs can we ever turn it back around.

"Free" public education is payed for with your hard earned tax dollars GB so wouldn't that fall under the category of a hand out?  Your pay for public schools whether you have kids in them or not, is that fair?  I propose a voucher system where if I choose not to use a public school I can get a tax break in order to help pay for a private education.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
As I stated above Dale, I know personally two people that had full scholarships to perochial school because they were recruited for sports. They are out there, I just don't know where to look.
Sorry then GJ. I missed that post. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!