Author Topic: Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold Tactical  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Savage Tactical

• Trade Count: (0)
Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold Tactical
« on: August 06, 2003, 01:18:58 PM »
Hello, I am in the market to buy a new high power scope for my rifle. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50mm

external target nobbs
side focus objective
Price: $860

Leupold Tactical 6.5-20x50mm

external target nobbs
side focus objective
Price: $1050

As you can see, these two rifles are practically the same. I have been led to believe that Zeiss has the best quality, but the Leupold is pretty good also and it is American made. I can get both for a 12 month no interest payment plan. What do you guys think about them?

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 02:14:55 PM »
I can not comment on the Zeiss, but I can say that the Leupold's Long Range scopes are excellent scopes.  Very clear, bright and excellent tracking.  Are you looking at the 6.5-20x50, Long Range, Mil Dot, M1?  If you are, that price seems a little high to me!
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 05:47:11 PM »
Actually, both prices seem very high.  I guess he hasn't seen your super low prices yet Jon.   If he buys the Leupold from you, then he'll be laughing all the way to the Bank with the extra money that he saved! :-D

Zachary

Offline Savage Tactical

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 07:22:30 AM »
Actually I have been to his store on the web. However, he has no Zeiss scopes whatsoever, and He doesn't have this Leupold either. I'll admitt he does have very good prices, but I would have to pay all the money up front. This store here in Ruston will offer me a 12 month no interest, same as cash payment plan. Their staff have also been very helpful, and curteous  to me. I also don't have to worry about the hassel of shipping either. No disrespect to his business though, I have look at his website quite a bit.

Also, I have found out the reason for the difference in the prices. The Leupold has a 30 mm diameter tube, while the Zeiss has a 1 in tube. I would still like to here your comments about the two (I realize the Zeiss scope is new, but comments about Zeiss in general would be appreciated).

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 01:00:34 PM »
Although I don't own any Zeiss scopes, I have used many of them (mostly the expensive VM/V series).  As for the Conquest, I believe that the glass is better than the Vari-X III.  Then again, my Elite 4200s and Nikon Monarchs have better glass than the Vari-X IIIs.   The Vari-X IIIs used to be the benchmark about 12 years ago.  Since then, however, the technology has remained the same and Leupold hasn't done anything to better the Vari-X III.  Sure, they came out with the LPS - which is a super scope by the way, but really nothing optically for the Vari-X III.  The Monarchs and Elite 4200s, on the other hand, have gotten much better!

Okay, back to the Conquest.  It's glass is about the same as the Elite 4200.  Another benefit of the Conquest - which I REALLY like - is that it's reticles are etched in the glass - now that's the sign of quality.  Swarovski and Nightforce NXS scopes also have this feature.

As for 30mm tubes, the benefits (the real ones anyway) are 1) they are stronger, and 2) allow for more internal adjustments.  Many people think that 30mm tubes increase light transmission.  Well, that's true to some extent, but not as much as you would think.  

Let me tell you somthing - if you really want a tough-as-nails scope with super optics, the get the Nightforce NXS.  I have one in 5.5x-22x-56mm.  It has etched reticles and is illuminated.  It's HEAVY, but it ROCKS!!  It also costs about $1,200, which is a little bit more than the Leupold, but THREE TIMES THE SCOPE!!  And Nightforce scopes arguably have the BEST ILLUMINATED RETICLES on the market.

One of the reasons that the scope is so heavy is because the tube is THREE TIMES THICKER than your average scope.  They use this scope on the .50 BMG 1000 yard competitions.  I have this scope on my Remington Sendero SF in .300 Win. Mag. and it's a perfect match (I don't, nor could, carry this rifle around the mountains all day.)

As for tactical applications, it has all the bells and whistles.  With the excepcion of weight, nothing beats a Nightforce NXS - not even Swarovski.  Granted, some people think that the Swarovski (PH that is) has "truer" color, but I haven't noticed it.

I bought my Nightforce from Chris at www.SWFA.com about a year ago.  Call him and ask him what his thoughts are on the Nightforce.  I don't know if the optic zone has Nightforce scopes, but check and see. See if a dealer in your area has one - you will be impressed.

Zachary

Offline Savage Tactical

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 05:26:29 PM »
Thanks for the info. That Nightforce sounds interesting. However, it is a little out of my price range. The leupold is about as expensive as I can go.

Offline 308TIKKA

ZEISS
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 03:04:57 AM »
The conquest uses Glass from Germany or hungary made by Schott. The best glass you can buy. Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon etc all use glas from asia. I think Hakko makes some glass for them/ The glass from europe is the best you can buy. That being said, I dotn know if you will ever miss an animal becaue you bought an elite or leupold. However, The majority of people on these boards seem to think the conquest has the brightest glass for the money. It also offers the lifetime transferable warranty and the fast focus, and finger click 1/4" adjustments. The side parallax feature is nice as well.

I dont think you could go wrong with either scopre but the conquest is what I own and what I would pick if i were you

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 11:22:54 AM »
I'ma gonna hafta disagree with a couple of folks on this one at the same time. First with Zachary.

I see 50 MM objectives on one inch tube scopes as being about as useful as tail fins were on the cars of the 50s. Yeah I was around back then and old enough to be driving but not rich enough to drive a new car.  :eek:

Scopes with 30 mm tubes and 50mm (or larger) objectives in conjunction with the etched on glass reticles in the WRONG plane by the way are for use in one particualr situation. Night hunting in Europe where it is legal to shoot as long as you can see. End of day is not end of hunt. In America end of day means end of hunt.

These scopes are all wrong for what we do in America. They require mounting too high for natural fit and thus are slower to use. The reticle is in the wrong plane and gets bigger as the power rises. Just the opposite of what you want for long range precision at higher powers.

I also disagree with 308TIKKA on the glass. Top quality Japanese glass is as good as any glass in the world. Now not all Japanese glass is top quality glass however. But their best is as good as it gets.

Now you've not mentioned what kinda rifle you intend to mount this scope on or what use you plan to make of it. I cannot make an informed recommendation to you without that information. Just based on the power range only I'd like to think it is safe to assume you will be using it either on a varmint or paper punching target rifle. If either then both scopes are all wrong for your use.

Why? Well the wrong plane reticle is gonna be way to big for precision shooting at higher powers on small targets. Neither is generally done in the very first or last rays of sunlight nor at night so the 30 mm tube and 50 mm objective are both superflous to your needs. If night night use on predators is planned then fine, I won't argue with either the 30mm tube or 50 mm objective not a wrong plane reticle. But neither scope has all three and unless you have all three you might as well have neither.

So assuming your use is on a varmint rifle for day time use or a target rifle for punching paper what would I recommend? A Bushnell Elite 4200 6--24. That's what's on mine. Or a Leupold Vari-X III 6-20.

See no one ever accused me of being agreeable.  :-D  Got opinions on most everything and mine and those of others often ain't the same.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage Tactical

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 06:53:09 PM »
My rifle is a Savage 110 FP in 25-06 with a 24" bull barrel. I just refinished my choate sniper stock, and upgraded the trigger to a rifle basix SAV-1 trigger. You are right on the money, I plan on primarily using it for paper punching. However, I am also considering using it for varmint hunting also, and might would be interest in night predator hunting too.

I want the mil dot, because I would like to be able to estimate range, and I like to convience of the M1 target knobs. I also want versitility from the scope. With the Savage barrel system, I might consider changing my barrel to a 26" 308 chamber. These reasons are why I have started to lean towards the Leupold with its 30mm tube in the last few days. Its larger adjustment range would help out alot. I have a friend who uses the leupold, and he is quite pleased with it.

Offline 308TIKKA

well...
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 12:33:02 PM »
I dont know where in this thread reticles in different planes are mentioned. If I missed it, sorry.]

What scope are we talking baout that has reticle in the wrong plane?

The zeiss conquest does not change size as the power increases. the german zeiss's do though. neither of these scopes has theat problem.

I think Carl Zeiss Optics is world renowned for the glass they use for multiple applications, not just riflescopes and binoculars. I would say that most people will agree that the glass they use will be superior (albeit small) to any glass from any asian manufacturer.

Offline 308TIKKA

USA
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 12:36:46 PM »
FWIW
ZEISS CONQUESTS ARE ASSEMBLED IN THE USA. The guts are made in Germany and shipped here for asembly