Author Topic: 410 pardner barrel throws it all high.  (Read 1098 times)

Offline aaron billings

• Trade Count: (0)
410 pardner barrel throws it all high.
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:26:26 AM »
my new barrel throws both shot and slugs high.  shot pattern w rem. 2.5 inch 7.5's has good patter to about 30 yards but if i sight w the bead it misses, going about a foot over the bird/ target's head.  already lost one grouse yesterday so here i am grousing about it.  w riffled slugs i consistently gain 4 inshes per every 10 yards and then it begins to come back down to level at a little over 100 yards.  I'm wondering about a scope or some ramp sights so I can sight in and fix it.  anyone else have an experience like this?  ab

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: 410 pardner barrel throws it all high.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »
Which stock do you have on it??

Spanky

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »
Don't laugh, but the point of impact can always be corrected by bending the barrel, easy with a shotgun and in years gone by often used to correct to point of impact. Still an easy and effective method....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:54:15 AM »
That's why I've basically given up on my .410 barrel. POI is too high to be usefull and I know of no real way to lower. It already has a very tall bead on it from the factory. I've checked, you can't buy a taller bead.

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:19 AM »
ok, so what's proper bending technique?  at the breach it's a very thick barrel and I am seriosly thinking of having it tapped and putting a scope on it.  will i still have to bend it or can i just sight it in once the scope's in place?

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »
oh, the stock is the standard hardwood that comes on the cheaper NEF shotguns and muzzleloaders.  the frame is a blued handi.  the forend is a nice clear maple w checker work.  I don't see how stock could effect poi to this extent.  i do understand that tension on the forend screw can effect accuracy a bit, but somehow i don't think that's the answer this time.  ab

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
ok, so what's proper bending technique?  at the breach it's a very thick barrel and I am seriosly thinking of having it tapped and putting a scope on it.  will i still have to bend it or can i just sight it in once the scope's in place?

Aaron,

I had my .410 drilled and tapped.
I put a 2.5x Simmons scope on it and it shoots good.

I asked about the stock because I have seen people try to shoot shotguns with the monte carlo stocks, they shoot high like that.

Spanky

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:12:33 AM »
You could also try shooting it with the forend off and see if it still hits high.
I like my .410, they are good little shotguns.

Spanky

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
yup, i like mine too.  i hope to make it so it merits,  thanks for the advice.  ab

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
put on a taller bead you can get little spacers tj raise the front sight so when you see the bead your not aiming high thereis alot of taper in a 410 barrel
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
Oldtimers used to bend their barrel in the fork of a tree. Since I do not have a real gunsmiths barrel bending jig (yes there is such a thing) what I have worked out is as follows. I cut 2 pieces of 2x4 appx. 6" long, I wanted to end up with a half circle appx. the diameter of the barrel I am working on one one side of each piece. For a Handi 12 gauge I made them by drilling a 1" hole in the center of 2 pieces of 2x4. I then cut those pieces in half right through the center of the holes so I had 4 pieces, each 6" long by 2" wide (appx) and each has a half circle cutout in the middle of one side, those cut out half circles are the bearing surfaces that contact the barrel. I used 3 pieces to bend the barrel. I set up the barrel in the opening of my fireplace, a good solid brick and mortar opening that will not flex or move. I set the barrel in the frame with a hydraulic bottle jack with one piece of wood in the bottom center of the barrel (to lower point of impact), jack up the barrel until there is just enough room to place another piece of wood over the top of the chamber and the top of the barrel as near the muzzle that you can get. Pump the bottle jack until there is some pressure on the barrel, then slowly add pressure until the barrel bends ONLY A BIT!!. Take it to the range and shoot for effect, you most likely have not bent it enough but as in all metal work and gun work take it slow and easy. It sometimes helps to have an extra set of hands, my wife does not like to see when I do it but she's a great help ( ;D)...best of luck....<><....:)   

P.S. - if your bottle jack is not long enough to reach out and bend the barrel you mau have to use a piece of 4"x4" about a foot or 15" long on the top of the bottle jack ram, cut the 4x4 to length for your particular needs, other things would work as well, 2 2x4's nailed together for instance. This is where the extra set of hands come in handy, to hold the 4x4 straight and to slowly pump the jack handle until contact is made, then adjust for straightness and pump it up....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:26:28 AM »
I know some time ago there was a thread on this with pics.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
I have a new little 22 inch .410 full choke barrel on an old Topper frame and stock.  It is perfect. Does well with everything from #8s to slugs/  I'm thinking about putting a shotgun scope on it.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »
i shot a nice grouse yesterday w this gun by shooting low, a nice clean head shot w #7.  thanks for all the advice.  i would never have thought to "bend a barrel."  not sure if i'm going to bend it or scope it but thanks to everyone for the input.  ab

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »
Cut it down to 20"...
Have it threaded for choke tubes...
Drill and tap it for a scope mount...

You will love it!! ;D

Spanky

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
Smaller gauges will shoot high when you tend to use the frame as a reference point for the front bead.  All gauges have the same frame so the smaller the gauge (smaller end of barrel) the higher the impact as you lift it to place the bead on top of the frame.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
You know it might be something in barrel that is causing the load to hit high.  why not try burnishing the barrel before bending it. 
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 08:28:38 AM »
that's a thought.  anyone have a gun that shoots consistently high or to one side and fixed it by burnishing or cleaning?  I'm pretty sure i'll put a scope on it, that way i can sight in regardless of the origin of the problem.  the thing is, it shoot very consistently, just high.  ab