Author Topic: is their anything good about this country  (Read 2339 times)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
is their anything good about this country
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:19:25 AM »
I have already ask this question of some folks that never have a good thing to say about this country.
I know we have our problems and always will, but is their a better place to have problems. ??? ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • mymartialartsplus.com
Re: is their anything good about this country
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:04:29 AM »
Personally I see much good about our country.  I am able to send my eldest child to public school and know he is safe and getting a good education.  I am able to take my kids to local parks and bike trails and enjoy the natural and man made beauty of this earth.  I am able to earn an income staying at home with my children.  I can take my children to doctors and hospitals if they are sick and receive the best care imaginable.  I can get in my car, fuel up, and drive just about anywhere I want.  If I can't get there by driving, I can charter a boat or buy an airline ticket.  I am able to go to stores and shop for just about anything my mind can imagine.  I have the right to free speech.  I have the right to own a gun.  Thanks to the woman's sufferage movement, I have the same rights as any man.  If I ever fear for my safety, I can call our local police and have assistance in minutes.  If assistance doesn't arrive in time, I have the right to defend my children and myself even at the expense of the life of the intruder.  I love the second amendment and the castle doctrine.  We live in a country where a neighbor sees a flame in the middle of the night and calls the fire department.  The kindness of a neighbor and the quick response of the fire team saved what was left of our belongings a little over a year ago.  Everyone we knew and a lot of people we didn't went above and beyond to lend us a helping hand in our time of need.  Even though we lost almost everything, we did not go one day without food, clothes, and shelter.  There is still a lot of good people and a foundation for a great society.  The reason I pay so much attention to the negative actions of our government is to perserve all that I love about this country, so we may hand down the same freedoms and privileges to our children. 

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:06:05 AM »
It's not the country it's are government.  :-[

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
There is so much good to say about our country, I don't know where I would start.
We have more to be gratefull for than I am capable of articulating.
Having said that, and meaning every syllable, we do have some major problems.
Our government has betrayed us, and is selling our country out lock, stock and barrel.  This has been going on for some time now, and the perpetrators are not limited to one particular political party.
50 years of brainwashing from a giant left apparatus, has created a large group in this country that is ignorant enough to go along with it.
The dishonesty, ignorance, denial, double standards, hatred, illogical thinking, fraud, disloyalty to our country, outright stupidity, biased journalism, that I hear from the political left almost makes me lose hope at times.
I believe in the end, ultimately, the traditional American way will win the day, but I am not certain about what is to come between now and then.
" we are screwed "

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »
For those of you who claim the problem is "the Government" not the people, I ask what are you doing to change things except for bellyaching on this website?  What are you personally doing?  Do you even vote in every election, including all of the voter initiatives that usually lead to higher taxes?  Are you involved in any political party or in your local or state government?  When is the last time you attended a meeting of your local government?  When is the last time you spoke, in person, in public, to express your views that government isn't being run right?  It's too easy for faceless lazy people to sit in anonymity, banging away gripes at their keyboards while not actually doing a damn thing to change the situation.  The problem with "the Government" is too many apathetic people.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:03:41 AM »
Other than I wish there were more good paying jobs, I wouldn't change a thing.  I like this country, and everything about it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:12:41 AM »
I read somewhere, that all it takes is 3% of the people, working dilligently, everyday, to remove and put in their place a different public official.  Think about Obamas "community organizing".  If enough hunters and gun owners, would pool some money, go door to door, make phone calls, etc. and work hard to put someone in office who would really listen, we can change the government, one official at a time.  Trouble is the republicans nominated the wrong person.  Huckaby or Romney would have garnered more support than McCain.  I liked Ron Paul, but he never really had a chance.  We need to change the senators and representatives first going to Washington.  If they don't listen or do what we want, turn them out, get someone else. 

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 11:00:01 AM »
For those of you who claim the problem is "the Government" not the people, I ask what are you doing to change things except for bellyaching on this website?  What are you personally doing?  Do you even vote in every election, including all of the voter initiatives that usually lead to higher taxes?  Are you involved in any political party or in your local or state government?  When is the last time you attended a meeting of your local government?  When is the last time you spoke, in person, in public, to express your views that government isn't being run right?  It's too easy for faceless lazy people to sit in anonymity, banging away gripes at their keyboards while not actually doing a damn thing to change the situation.  The problem with "the Government" is too many apathetic people.

I think it is inaccurate to refer to most of us as whiners.  We are not the problem, Washington is the problem.
There have been controversial issues within the past year which resulted in such massive numbers of people calling in to both the house and senate, their switchboard was unable to handle the volume of calls. 
Congress has it's own website, and there have been times within the past month I was unable to log on b/c of the volume of hits.
I personally have called the White House, my congressman, and senator within the past month.  I have, in the past, written and called my congressman, and both Senators of my state.  My congressman, voted FOR the bailout, in spite of a huge # of calls from citizens of our district asking that he NOT vote for it.  I flat out told his office twice, if he votes for this, he will not receive my vote in November.

I blame politicians for not listening to their constituents.  Of course, some politicians on the other side ARE listening to their constituents.  But I don't think you are making reference to those people.

Quite simply, I think our many of our politicians are selling us out.  Most of us are obviously doing our best to stop it.
" we are screwed "

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »
I think it is inaccurate to refer to most of us as whiners.

I don't

Without the bailout you'd be whining 100 times louder.  Doing the right thing, and being popular is impossible.  The general populace has no idea what's going on, or what's good for the country.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:25:19 AM »
is there anything good about this country? 

Well, Swampman has the right to free speech... As communist as it may be...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
I think it is inaccurate to refer to most of us as whiners.  We are not the problem, Washington is the problem.
Quite simply, I think our many of our politicians are selling us out.  Most of us are obviously doing our best to stop it.

Obviously your best isn't good enough.  Just calling or writing an unresponsive politician isn't good enough.  Some politicians have to be made to listen to their constituents.  If you think your politicians are selling you out, what are you doing to actively contribute to their opponents' campaigns?  Nothing will ever change if you just sit passively in your home, and yes, whine.  You have unresponsive politicians because not enough people are willing to leave the comfort of their homes and really work to unseat the bad politicians.  The bad ones don't remain in office by chance.  They either have supporters who are willing to go out in public and work to maintain that support, or no one is willing to oppose them.  If you really want to make a change and get good people elected to office, you have to work for it.  Squall all you want, but we are the root of the problem.

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 11:38:31 AM »
You are entitled to your opinion. 

So, what have you done?
" we are screwed "

Offline jimster

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »
I would have done just fine without the bailout....I am also smart enough to realize that you can't spend your way out of debt...and I'm smart enough to know that things have to crash, in order to start over and get better.  I am also smart enough to know printing up a bunch of money is not smart, no matter how you slice it...yep, we learned that way back in school when they used to teach kids something.  
If anyone spent the last decade or so living within their means, and planning on things happening that are not so nice...they would have been fine without the bailout...and since the bailout didn't work anyways,  guess that pretty much sums it all up.  They are already asking for more money....LOL!!

But all that aside....this is THE best country in the world...people die trying to get here.  Where else can I cram a gun down my pants and leave the house.
Where else can I go for a long ride wherever I want.  Say what I think.  Work as hard as I want to, or take it easy for a while and do with less.  
In this country, you get to choose what you are, and what you want to be.  

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
I would have done just fine without the bailout

This shows you know nothing about how all this works.

...and since the bailout didn't work anyways,

This shows you aren't paying attention.

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 12:40:08 PM »
Anything good about America???? Not according to tm7. POWDERMAN.  :P :P
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »
Anything good about America???? Not according to TM7. POWDERMAN.  :P :P
TM7 is talking about  are government get it right. Stop being a hater with people that think different then you .

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
ms. The only reason I can see your posts, and tms is because we don't have an ignore feature. POWDERMAN.  :P :P :P :P :P :P
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »
OBAMA  IS A BIGGER  THREAT TO  OUR WAY OF  LIFE  THAN OSAMA

the  ONLY hope  of stopping  him now is MCCAIN  like  it  or  not

if   YOU  undermine  his chance  in  ANY  way  your  helping  OBAMA

don't  make  yourself  look stupid voting 3rd party cause MCCAIN  is  not perfect
then  tell  me  love  this  country  like a   fool  and  then  help OBAMA AND  THE DEMOCRATS
you  won't  even  offer  your vote  to  stop  OBAMA
then  come  here  and  whine  and  undermine MCCAIN

OBAMA  is  a 3rd rate  human
with  3rd  world roots
he  will  be  HELPED  by   you 3rd  party vote
and he  will  reduce  us  to  3rd  world status

DON'T  INSULT  MY  INTELLEGENCE  BY TELLING  ME  YOU  LOVE  THIS COUNTRY
WHEN  YOU BASH  THE ONLY  MAN  THAT  CAN  SAVE  US  FROM  OBAM
HAVE  YOU CALLED  YOUR  CONGESSMAN  ABOUT  ACORN VOTER FRAUD.......ANYTHING

I  LIKE MOST  OF YOU  BUT  SOME  OF  YOU  ARE  PATHEDIC

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
MS should love America, where else do you get such good SSI in this world?

I love Amerca every time I go out hunting or driving around in the country. Such open spaces and such nice land.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »

This shows you know nothing about how all this works.

This shows you aren't paying attention.

How do put this nicely?
Swampman the fact is that the bailout should have never passed at all. 76% of the people did not want it. So whether is was a good thing or bad thing dose not matter. The government is suppose to yield to will of the people, they are not our keepers.
As for not knowing how this all works you may need to get some schooling.
The market will healed it's self as long as it there was a demand for it's goods and services. There are no holes in the market when one entity folds or goes under if the is a demand for it's G&S the market flow to the void left behind. Kind of like digging a hole in the ocean. It is when the government mettles with flow that we end up in a mess. They prop up failing market after market until the whole market structure is weak and ready to collapse. If they just let the markets that can't compete fail, it will strengthen the whole structure over all. Kind of like clearing away the rubble before rebuilding. But the government in it's lack of wisdom has put the market on the welfare system and this will only weaken it more. there is no incentive to build a stronger market base that can stand on it's own if you know that the taxpayer will supply you with a safety net and put you right back up on your perch if you fall.

Has the bailout worked? Your statement suggest that you think so.
But in fact all it has done so far is increase our debt.
Now if you are thinking that the these latest market up swings are a result of the bailout think again and you pay attention this time. These up swing were brought about by private investors who are buying up the bargains. They know that there is a demand for G&S and where there is demand there is a market. Thats right the market is flowing to fill the voids.

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »
76% of the people did not want it. So whether is was a good thing or bad thing dose not matter. The government is suppose to yield to will of the people

No, the government is supposed to do for us what we cannot do for ourselves.....period.

The people rarely know or understand anything about anything.  That's why we elect experts who do.

A Republic is not run by a mob.  That's a democracy.  We do not live in a democracy.  Did you take American History in school?  Did you pass?

Offline jimster

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
Swampman, did you bother to try to read the hundreds of pages of that bill, and all the meaningless crap in it?  All the things in it that had nothing to do with buying up loans?  Ya, OK...hundreds of pages is not easy to get through it all....but I'll tell you what...it was a typical bill from Congress laced with crap that amounts to more needless spending.

Sorry, I'm not convinced it was a good bill....but then, nothing Congress comes up with is clean.  Heck...they even voted backwards...Senate first...(after they "expanded it"...then the house.  

I'm telling ya right now, all they needed to do was to cut capital gains taxes (to ZERO), chop all our taxes (including CORPORATIONS and businesses)....stop spending...let some things FAIL..and we would all have been much better off.  You say "this shows you know nothing about how it works".....I say....it works the same as your household.  Math is always the same Swampman...no matter where you apply it.  Sounds like the politicians convinced you pretty good that NOTHING else would ever work...(cause we have to spend like crazy...we can't cut taxes...)
The problem with Congress, is they think they need to keep spending billions of dollars when they do not.  I never did over extend myself going through life, and I don't spend more than I have coming in.  As long as Congress and politicians keep spending...they will keep taking, and they will always come up with hair brained ideas and hundreds of pages of crap.  

Let's see what did they tell us...this bill would calm the markets...LOL!!!!!!!....Then it was...darn we need more money thrown at this...he-he...OK, toss some more in there...print more...then print some more.  Sounds to me like a bunch of people in panic mode, moving too fast to think.
Growing the economy fast is easy...the math is all there, and it has worked the few times we tried it.  The problem is...spending...if you spend like a crack whore, you need income...government does not have any other way to get income but from people who generate it.  The more they spend the more they tax, the more they tax, the worse things get.  All easy stuff...at least to me.  

No...the bail out bill filled with pork was not our only option...there are always more options.  

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »
There were lots more options, but they wouldn't have worked.  I don't want to see millions of people starve.  You don't want to starve.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
76% of the people did not want it. So whether is was a good thing or bad thing dose not matter. The government is suppose to yield to will of the people

No, the government is supposed to do for us what we cannot do for ourselves.....period.

The people rarely know or understand anything about anything.  That's why we elect experts who do.

A Republic is not run by a mob.  That's a democracy.  We do not live in a democracy.  Did you take American History in school?  Did you pass?

I know very well  what a Republic is. And I know that an overwhelming majority is not a mob. The only mob in this situation is the mob that passed this bailout bill.

I also know from history class what our government is suppose to do. They have stepped way outside their role on this issue.

Just exactly what is it that government does for you that can't do for yourself?

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline jimster

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »
sure...I would STARVE...LOL!   OK...sounds like they got you good...

Some neat things in your great bill you might be interested in...just a few...

New Tax earmarks in Bailout bill
- Film and Television Productions (Sec. 502)
- Wooden Arrows designed for use by children (Sec. 503)
- 6 page package of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident, Alaska (Sec. 504)
Tax earmark “extenders” in the bailout bill.
- Virgin Island and Puerto Rican Rum (Section 308)
- American Samoa (Sec. 309)
- Mine Rescue Teams (Sec. 310)
- Mine Safety Equipment (Sec. 311)
- Domestic Production Activities in Puerto Rico (Sec. 312)
- Indian Tribes (Sec. 314, 315)
- Railroads (Sec. 316)
- Auto Racing Tracks (317)
- District of Columbia  (Sec. 322)
- Wool Research (Sec. 325)

Does not sound like Congress was worried about anyone starving....but they convinced you didn't they?  

Spending problem?  Like some people have?  

And to think...this is what they do in time of crises...LOL!  

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 03:08:11 PM »
jimster  did  his  homework  it  looks  like
atleast  he  has  me  convinced      some  of  that  money  went  to  acorn i  heard  is  that  true
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline powderman

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
4570GOVT. Good post, agreed. Not sure who you addressed it to though, could have been several. Ya gotta understand, they don't care if they help osama, they got convictions, YEAH RIGHT. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
Just exactly what is it that government does for you that can't do for yourself?

Infrastructure, wage war, dealing with foreign governments are 3 examples.

We needed the bailout.  You wouldn't like starving.

The will of the majority worked for the Clintons.  They just used polls to make decisions.  Our current President is willing to be unpopular to get the job done.  He's getting it done.

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »
So, what have you done?

In the past year:

Joined the state Republican Party and have become a precinct chairman
Served as a delegate to the party convention and helped to rewrite parts of the state party platform
Attend regional and district party meetings
Campaigned (put up signs and waved signs) for 3 different candidates for state level office
Contributed several hundred dollars to candidates I believe in at the state and national level
Joined the local Chamber of Commerce and became the VP
Continued to attend all local city council meetings
On a regular basis, spoke on issues of concern during the public comment period at city council meetings
Served as a citizen volunteer on two city council working groups and rewrote our sales tax ordinance
Ran for city council, was elected and have just been selected as the Deputy Mayor
Additionally, like you, I contact all of my state and national elected officials on a regular basis and
    occasionally write letters to the editor of two local papers

Some of this takes money to participate, but much just takes the time to get involved.  Just jump in and start somewhere. 

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »
Swampman I just plain don't like you. I understand that you have the right to be stupid and that your ignorance on some subjects might not be your fault but your arrogance on things you are so ignorant to is just getting old. Take some time and spend it on http://thomas.loc.gov and learn what this current congressional administration has done both sides then jump over to the white house web site and see all the great things the executive  administration has done.

Now I would also like to educate you on our form of government it is not a republic it is a FEDERAL CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC and YES there is a DIFFERENCE.

A [wiki=constitutional republic]constitutional republic[/wiki] is a state where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power. The fact that a constitution exists that limits the government's power makes the state constitutional. That the head(s) of state and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes a state republican; should the judicial review be maximized.

Also swampman would you please explain to me some of these things that the public need not know about... what do they relate to and how do they effect the unknowing joe public and don't tell me security as it relates to the armed forces as that is a given.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein