Author Topic: adding choke tube to topper 158?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Saltcreek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • USMC '72 - '80
adding choke tube to topper 158?
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »
I did a search first but couldn't find an answer. I have a Topper 158 20 gauge mod choke purchased early 70's. If possible I would like to have this converted to screw-in choke tubes to make it more useful. Is this possible and who does it? I'm not interested in the old bulky Poly Chokes. If not possible to convert, will one of the NEF barrels with choke tubes fit?
Secondly, is the brass bead sight screw-in or press fitted? I would like a tru glow sight but don't want to buy if I can't install it. Thanks.
Help your own self, the Government is to busy tryin' to save themselves.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: adding choke tube to topper 158?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »
Saltcreek: There are lots of good solutions for having a barrel threaded for choke tubes. A local gunsmith may be an agent for one of the big shops (our local guy ships to Briley -- EXPENSIVE!!) But you can ship direct to Carlson's or Tru-choke, and they'll do it and include three tubes for about a hundred bucks.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Saltcreek

• USMC '72 - '80
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »
Thanks, I will check into those. Hopefully someone has an answer on the bead sight.

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »
The front bead is a screw in.  I change mine all of the time for fiber optics,(fifty year old eyes!). ;D
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline Saltcreek

• USMC '72 - '80
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:33:37 AM »
Thanks Shawnee. Do you remember the thread size?

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
Saltcreek: It's a 3-56. The tap is mighty fragile, and it's easy to run it in crooked. Take it from one who has learned the hard way. But -- if you haven't shortened the barrel and are just using the factory sight hole, the smallest Tru-Glo sight shaft is 3-56. A Spark fiber optic sight screws right in, though you have to be very careful snugging it up and getting it aligned with the bore. The threads are fragile and the shaft is tiny. I did manage, against all odds, to get one mounted on my 28" NEF barrel, and it has stayed put nicely so far this season.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:28:01 AM »
Guys ya don't even need a bead on the front of that shotgun barrel. Shotguns at least when wingshooting with them are not meant to be aimed but pointed. It really is detrimental to good shooting to pay attention to the front sight your attention needs to be on the target and only your peripheral vision should make you aware of the barrel. Focus on the target NOT the barrel.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:01 AM »
A good bet is to find one of these in 20 ga. They're easy to install and work great.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7754&title=SCREW-IN%20CHOKE%20ADAPTER
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Saltcreek

• USMC '72 - '80
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
Thanks all for the info on the thread size and Hi-Viz spark II.
Graybeard, I agree you don't perhaps need a sight for wingshooting. However on the farm with a full choke 410 shooting pesky critters it sure helps. This NEF 410 Full has a pattern more like a rifle than a big old 12 gauge open choke.

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »
Bill, of course you are right. I never did develop the right habits to be a good wing shot. Too busy shooting rifles! One of my proudest trophies is a grouse tail, fanned out and hanging over my desk. I missed many more than I ever hit, but that one was taken fair and square, as he flew from one cover to another across a closed and overgrown logging road in Langlade County, Wisconsin.

For the most part, I use a scattergun to hunt squirrels. Since my eyesight has gotten so bad, I use a modified-choke 12 with an ounce of #6 to take a quick pop at a squirrel when he makes a dash along a limb. The .410's for the same use, just lighter to carry. I can't seem to get a clear shot with a .22 any more. Need to work on my patience some!