Author Topic: Sourdough, how are the wolves now?  (Read 404 times)

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
Sourdough, how are the wolves now?
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:12:07 AM »
I followed your earlier posts with great interest.  I'd like to know if the wolves in your area moved on or are still around and causing problems...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Sourdough, how are the wolves now?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »
Last year during the winter, most were shot.  The single Black Wolf went down the Tanana River to a new area then disappeared.  It may have been trapped, shot, or taken in or killed by another pack.  The pack that was really killing dogs around my house was eventually shot at till it was down to one or two animals.  They either got killed without anyone hearing about it or they moved on. 

Right now we are having problems with Grizzlies.  There is a Sow and two cubs wreaking havoc just down the highway from where I live.  Last night they broke into a garage and ripped the top off a freezer full of Moose, Caribou, and Salmon.  F&G set out traps and the cubs keep going inside an getting trapped.  Then the old sow starts rolling the trap around till she is able to get the door open and the cub out.  She has done that twice now.

About another month wolves should start showing up here again.  Currently they are still up in the hills.  But when the snow starts getting deep they will come down into the flats looking for easier traveling.  Not that many were taken around Fairbanks last winter that I have heard about, so we are expecting more this winter.  Coyotes have become rare this fall, that's a sign wolves are working the area.  Just right now their numbers are low and they are staying out of sight. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.