Author Topic: How safe is your gun safe?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
How safe is your gun safe?
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »
This video of two guys defeating a gun safe in under two minutes with only a crow bar and pry bar is a real eye opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: How safe is your gun safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
A few years ago I aquired a safe door from a buliding that used to be a bank. Thinking that would be the ultimate in protection. I asked a local lock smith what the charge would be if the combination I was given was not correct. The smith gave me a very low price as he said he could get into any safe in 15 minutes.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
I have been a carpenter all my life and take pride in my work. I know I am good at what I do but know there is someone out there better than me for sure. I think this smith has a little to much pride in his work. I would bet my life he could be in any safe in 15 minutes. Just how I see it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 01:42:59 AM »
The locks will keep an honest person out. Better if you can go with the locks and the safe out of sight.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 07:33:43 AM »
My buddy bought a big Ft Knox vault many years ago.  It took four adults and 12 kids to get that sucker up onto the second floor.  Once there My buddy said now my guns are safe.  I laughed, I told him I could have that vault out in his front yard in less than two minutes.  He asked how, I told him I could break into his house, throw the winch cable from my Jeep through the front window, wrap it around the vault, then put the Jeep in reverse.  Once I got that big vault moving the wall would not stop it.  The vault would crash right through the wall and out into the yard.  Using a gin pole on my Jeep and the winch I could then pick it up and put it in the back of a truck, where we could take it to a garage or shop where we could cut it open at our leisure.

The following week we moved that big vault into his basement.  Where it is now anchored to the floor, and inside a hidden room.

Looked at that video, and was not surprised at how fast they got it open.  But some of the other videos shocked me as to how simple hotel vaults are to open.  I never felt easy about using one so I never have.  Now I never will.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:57:19 AM »
My buddy bought a big Ft Knox vault many years ago.  It took four adults and 12 kids to get that sucker up onto the second floor.  Once there My buddy said now my guns are safe.  I laughed, I told him I could have that vault out in his front yard in less than two minutes.  He asked how, I told him I could break into his house, throw the winch cable from my Jeep through the front window, wrap it around the vault, then put the Jeep in reverse.  Once I got that big vault moving the wall would not stop it.  The vault would crash right through the wall and out into the yard.  Using a gin pole on my Jeep and the winch I could then pick it up and put it in the back of a truck, where we could take it to a garage or shop where we could cut it open at our leisure.

The following week we moved that big vault into his basement.  Where it is now anchored to the floor, and inside a hidden room.

Looked at that video, and was not surprised at how fast they got it open.  But some of the other videos shocked me as to how simple hotel vaults are to open.  I never felt easy about using one so I never have.  Now I never will.

I would like to see Hairtrigger's locksmith get that one open in 15 mins!   ;D

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »
If you look at that safe door in the video, the safe door material is thin enough that the door easily bends in the middle pulling the locking pins from the top and bottom. The side of the safe is easily pulled away from the door releasing the side locking pins.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
I was in a gun shop a few months ago and a guy was in there letting them know to keep an eye out for his recently stolen guns.  They had completely destroyed his hardwood floors dragging the safe out of the house and through the front door.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »
i  put  mine  in  a corner  now  bolted to  the  floor  and 2 walls  with  hardend  screws

and  in  closets  too
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »
guy down the way out his in the back bedroom bolted to a concrete floor.someone are ones  took his tractor wrap ed a cable around the safe and pulled it through bedroom wall,kitchen wall, outside wall, loaded it with his loader and have never been caught. 36guns in the hands of some punks
never to much gun

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
There is really no such thing as a safe. Just don't let poeple know what you have. Keep stuff put away and out of sight. If someone really wants what you got there gonna get it.

Troy
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
There is really no such thing as a safe. Just don't let poeple know what you have. Keep stuff put away and out of sight. If someone really wants what you got there gonna get it.

Troy

Especially your wife ;D
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »
The video never said what the safe (and I use the term "safe" loosely, more like a locking cabinet) was rated for.  It looked like a fire safe to me, not a burglary rated safe.  Any safe can be broken into, but a burglary rated safe would have taken much longer, especially for two amateurs with hand tools.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 08:25:55 AM »
Working security for the Air Force many years we were taught that safes are only a means of keeping hinest people honest!!!  A safe will not keep a crook out, it will keep honest folks honest and delay a crook, somewhat, in their process of robbing you. 

My main safe is a large milsup nthat I bought at a salvage sale.  It is made by Mosler, weighs 1570 pounds empty, is made of 3/8 thick boiler plate steel. It may sound solid, but I expect a crook could get into it with time........the differecne between mine and the one in the video ius it would take more time to gain entry.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 03:44:17 PM »
I am a carpenter and I think what I would do is build a closet into a space that you could not tell there was an empty space there. Do you guys follow me? Like in my bedroom ( on the second floor of my house ) I have a closet that is about 3'x5'. It is above and behind the stairs coming up here. It would be easy to panel that wall and have the door lines coinside with the paneling lines. It would be very hard for a crook to even know it was there. Especially if I put a small dresser in front of it. It would just blend in. Also along those thoughts you could cut a hole in your flooring and store your guns there between the joists. Just throw a throw rug over it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
trash  up  your  garage  and  put  an  old refrigerator  amongst  the  junk

put  a  chain  around  it  for  safety  sake  like  every  one  should

who  would  bother  to  rob  that

strait  wire  the  light  for  humidity control
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
trash  up  your  garage  and  put  an  old refrigerator  amongst  the  junk

put  a  chain  around  it  for  safety  sake  like  every  one  should

who  would  bother  to  rob  that

strait  wire  the  light  for  humidity control
Come on now Tim. Who would fall for that. Everybody hides their cash in the freezer. LOL. :o ;D Dale

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »
like  the  Democrats  in  Louisiana   that  still get  reelected

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
like  the  Democrats  in  Louisiana   that  still get  reelected
oK. I have to say I don't get it.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Dale

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »
remember  the  democrat  took  the national  guard  to  get  90 thousand  dollars  of  bribe  money

he  was  video  taped  taking  100k 
right  after  KATRINA

got  reelected  then  charged  etc.   
i  can't  remember  his  name

they even  reelected  school bus  NAyGAN

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 02:53:35 AM »
Best thing is to find the thief before the police do, and teach him the error of his ways.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 05:25:54 AM »
i  captured  a  man  years  ago

held  him at  gun  point  until  police  got  there

they  didn't  even   ask  me  to disconnect  my  dog

after  they  got  him  to  the  police  car  they  had  trouble  gitting  him  in  with
my  dog  still  attached  to  his  back   so  i  told  him  to  sit

that  boy  sure  looked  relieved  when  they  shut  that  patrol car  door

i   bet i thought  him  more  than  our  school  system  that  night

i  had  AKC boxers  trained  to  attack   ask  dalescarpentry  he  has  seen  them  work

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »
I am a carpenter and I think what I would do is build a closet into a space that you could not tell there was an empty space there. Do you guys follow me? Like in my bedroom ( on the second floor of my house ) I have a closet that is about 3'x5'. It is above and behind the stairs coming up here. It would be easy to panel that wall and have the door lines coinside with the paneling lines. It would be very hard for a crook to even know it was there. Especially if I put a small dresser in front of it. It would just blend in. Also along those thoughts you could cut a hole in your flooring and store your guns there between the joists. Just throw a throw rug over it. Dale

I was watching one of those it takes a thief shows and they showed how thieves were going in with hand held metal detectors to find your goods and your safes.  How do ya hide from those?

Heather

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
Build a house w/ metal wall studs...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »

Yeah your right!  That would work.  lol  :D

Heather

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 06:24:46 PM »

Yeah your right!  That would work.  lol  :D

Heather
I should have thought of that. ;) ;D Dale