Author Topic: Budget scope  (Read 2674 times)

Offline tankerjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • This is my howa 243 did the stock myself
Re: Budget scope
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »
Yup, excellent deer ammo, cheap too in comparison to premium stuff which isn't necessary for deer....but you do want to shoot what shoots good in your rifle, less expensive ammo gets you there with a bit more money in your wallet after a trip or two to the range. ;)

Tim
sounds good especially for the price i cant afford the $35 boxes of ammo and if i hit a deer right with one that expensive and it ran over 50 yrds i would have rather thrown my rifle at them i mean i know every shot is different but for the money you would think it would con the deer into dropping right there
"war is the remedy my enemies have chosen, and i say lets give them all they want"!!!

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 11:56:55 AM »
Federal Power-Shoks are a good deer round, and somewhat less expensive  too.   

Not enough positive things can be said about the price of ammo at Walmarts.

However...

If Walmarts hadn't bent to the anti's the way they did and removed the rifles from the shelves, I would certainly spend more of my money there than I currently do.

I am boycotting Walmarts for all of my Holiday Shopping again this year because of their Spineless decision to remove guns from their stores.  If they don't need some of my money, they can't have any of it.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline tankerjoe

• This is my howa 243 did the stock myself
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 02:53:04 AM »
Federal Power-Shoks are a good deer round, and somewhat less expensive  too.   

Not enough positive things can be said about the price of ammo at Walmarts.

However...

If Walmarts hadn't bent to the anti's the way they did and removed the rifles from the shelves, I would certainly spend more of my money there than I currently do.

I am boycotting Walmarts for all of my Holiday Shopping again this year because of their Spineless decision to remove guns from their stores.  If they don't need some of my money, they can't have any of it.
Yeah so whats going on with walmart anywway, i have noticed many of them dont carry guns anymore?!!! i agree about the ammo being cheap there among other things i know its walmart and all but hey they dont cost less cause there not as good!!  ;D Also the walmart here in el paso still sells them but i find there prices to be higher on firearms than a sports store or dealer which is weird for wally world!
"war is the remedy my enemies have chosen, and i say lets give them all they want"!!!

Offline CWT

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »
Yeah only problem is its got alot more recoil than a rimfire i actually destroid a scope made for rimfires but thats my fault i knew it would happen, are the scopes u mentioned going to be affected by the recoil of a 243?

These Swifts I have are not a rimfire scope. I just have them on a 17HMR and a 22WMR. They are an excellent cheap scope in my opinion.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
Double or tripple your scope budget.  After you get a good scope, you will NEVER regret the extra cash you paid for it.  Been there, done that.  I'd rather not call names, but some of the cheaper scopes mentioned above, just don't cut the mustard.

You get what you pay for and a quality scope will last a lifetime.  I have some that are 30 yers old and work just fine.  I've had some junk too.  Never got my money's worth from the cheapies.  Just can't see at dark.  They look fine in the store.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »
To beat a Bushnell Elite you'll have to pay $1000.00+.  Get a Bushnell.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline TRWalker

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »
I've had good luck with used Redfield Widefields made in the USA. I have bought several 2-7's and  3-9's for under $100 at gun shows and auction sites.  Another way to get a good scope cheap is to buy a rifle with a Leupold, Redfield,  Bushnell Elite 3200, Swift, Nikon, or Burris on it, remove the scope and sell the rifle.  Sometimes the scope is actually free or maybe 1/4-1/2  the usual price if you make a good deal.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 03:41:42 AM »
I've had good luck with used Redfield Widefields made in the USA. I have bought several 2-7's and  3-9's for under $100 at gun shows and auction sites.  Another way to get a good scope cheap is to buy a rifle with a Leupold, Redfield,  Bushnell Elite 3200, Swift, Nikon, or Burris on it, remove the scope and sell the rifle.  Sometimes the scope is actually free or maybe 1/4-1/2  the usual price if you make a good deal.

I've done that several times. It is a good way to get a good scope cheap some times.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 08:20:27 AM »
I don't know how long it will last, but for clarity and brightness, IMHO
it will be hard to beat a Mueller for the price. I have a 4-12 and would not trade it paid $140.00 for mine w/hood because it said (BROWN 97) on it
instead of Mueller. Ask Quick
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 11:25:40 AM »

I've done that several times. It is a good way to get a good scope cheap some times.

Yep, me too.  I've built several rifles to my specs by doing that same thing...buy the gun, sell the stuff I don't want, use the money to set it up the way I want it.  And I've gotten seveal good scopes in the process....

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2008, 04:52:10 AM »
My one Nikon Prostaf 3x9 has me soured on them. The one I bought never held zero though I have to say the glass is very good. I have bought the Mueller 2x7 and recently the 3x10 extreme Mueller and both have outperformed the Prostaff by far. I have 3 3x9 Bushnell Banners and all are still doing their jobs while my Nikon is on it's second trip back to it's makers.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline kiddekop

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »
Best budget scopes I ever knew of were Tasco World Class. I've got one here that was on my 6.5-06 for about six years before I replaced it and it's still a decent scope. Before that it spent a couple years on my 25-06. Cost me $89 new. The cheaper Tascos I shot off a couple rifles pretty early, cheaper than $89! I think if the scope is working for you, you might keep it on there till you can afford something better. I heard that the bottom of the line Leupolds are their old top of the line scopes, don't know myself. I've seen them in the Bi-Mart for around $150. I think that would be as good as it gets if it's true.
I have a friend who was adjusting his 2000 Tasco World Scope when the knob came off in his hand,he contacted Bushnell who owned Tasco & sent it in but they wouldn't honor the lifetime warranty so he chucked it in the trash.I had one Tasco and as I was firing my  Browning Semi Auto 30-06 Rifle the reticle melted that was my first & last tasco.I buy Leupold Scopes in fact I bought several used Leupold  Vari X 2c 3x9x40 scopes on ebay when production was changing & many were buying new & selling their older scopes but since they have a lifetime warranty that they honor it was a bargain! Check for sales on your PC for Leupold,Nikon,Burris,etc.Sightron is a good scope with a lifetime replacement warranty I got mine at www.midwayusa.com & a friend tried 1 out in rainy georgia then bought another at midway on sale.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 12:52:34 PM »
I have a friend who was adjusting his 2000 Tasco World Scope when the knob came off in his hand,he contacted Bushnell who owned Tasco & sent it in but they wouldn't honor the lifetime warranty so he chucked it in the trash.I had one Tasco and as I was firing my  Browning Semi Auto 30-06 Rifle the reticle melted that was my first & last tasco.

Not surprising that Bushnell didn't cover it, BPO (Bushnell Performance Optics) didn't buy Tasco until 2002, anything made prior to that isn't covered by  any warranty, says so right on their website.

Tim

http://tasco.com/support.cfm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mr. Joe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »
Look and see where the scopes are made.  Scopes made in China, Korea, or the Philippines are NOT GOOD SCOPES bottom line.  If they work for you, great, but there not good scopes, just like a Kia is not a good car.  It may get you around, but its not a good car.  For the money, and from many a professional opinion of those in the industry*, the best scopes for the money are the Bushnell elite 3200 (Japan), the Nikon Buck Master (Japan) Leupold VX-1 (USA).  All of the above companies make more expensive models, but these models are the least expensive you can buy while still being made in top of the line facilities and with top of the line components.

*I used to hunt with a gent who works for Bosch and Lomb in R&D.
I am not afraid to make an example out of you

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »
Look and see where the scopes are made.  Scopes made in China, Korea, or the Philippines are NOT GOOD SCOPES bottom line.  If they work for you, great, but there not good scopes, just like a Kia is not a good car.  It may get you around, but its not a good car.  For the money, and from many a professional opinion of those in the industry*, the best scopes for the money are the Bushnell elite 3200 (Japan), the Nikon Buck Master (Japan) Leupold VX-1 (USA).  All of the above companies make more expensive models, but these models are the least expensive you can buy while still being made in top of the line facilities and with top of the line components.

So much for your uninformed knowledge and opinion, if Philippine made optics are junk, then the Buckmasters and Monarch are too!! ::) The Buckmasters is made in the Philippines as is the Prostaff, Omega and some Monarchs!!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »
I try to buy Amercian made products, but I can't pay 2-3 times as much for an inferior product made with parts from China.

Even the lenses.....
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 03:32:19 AM »

That's a broad brush stroke and as with most such just plain isn't true. Folks in all three places are capable of making good optics and just because many coming from there are not is not reason to condemn all from there. It's really about who imports them and what level of quality they insist on and inspect to assure.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »
I've had great luck with the same Tasco World Class mil dot scope you have, I have 2 and they have been on 7mmtcu carbine (still is) and the other has been on a 358 jdj carbine, 300 savage bolt action carbine, and CZ 527 and has held up great on all. 

Another scope I'd recommend is the Sightron S1 for the price range your looking at. I think Midway had them for about $115 just a bit ago. The one I have has been on a 270WSM and has been great, I got it when they where going for $199.