Author Topic: Budget scope  (Read 2678 times)

Offline tankerjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • This is my howa 243 did the stock myself
Budget scope
« on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:36 AM »
 I have a howa 243 1500 currently yeilding a tasco 3-9-40 mil dot it is an ok scope i only paid $60 for it but i would like to purchase a new scope on a budget of around $120 unfortunatly i dont have a wide knowledge of scopes so if anyone knows a good bang for the buck let me know! THANKS.
"war is the remedy my enemies have chosen, and i say lets give them all they want"!!!

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Budget scope
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 05:32:27 AM »
Best budget scopes I ever knew of were Tasco World Class. I've got one here that was on my 6.5-06 for about six years before I replaced it and it's still a decent scope. Before that it spent a couple years on my 25-06. Cost me $89 new. The cheaper Tascos I shot off a couple rifles pretty early, cheaper than $89! I think if the scope is working for you, you might keep it on there till you can afford something better. I heard that the bottom of the line Leupolds are their old top of the line scopes, don't know myself. I've seen them in the Bi-Mart for around $150. I think that would be as good as it gets if it's true.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline CWT

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:30:01 AM »
I'd go with the cheaper Nikon's or Swift. I have a couple of Swift's on some Savage rimfires and I like em.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:58 AM »
 Yeah only problem is its got alot more recoil than a rimfire i actually destroid a scope made for rimfires but thats my fault i knew it would happen, are the scopes u mentioned going to be affected by the recoil of a 243?
"war is the remedy my enemies have chosen, and i say lets give them all they want"!!!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:48 AM »
You can usually get a brand new Bushnell 3200 Elite 3-9X40 on ebay for a hair over $150.00.  The Bushnell Banners are also good.  I've been working with 2 new Nikon Prostaffs this summer and they aren't as good as the Bushnells IMO.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »
Ha i actually was looking at a bushnell banner to i just wasn't sold on it! Darn wish i woulda picked it up. >:(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:20:49 AM »
I've got several Banners, they work fine for the money, but I also have several Prostaffs, the Prostaffs all have better glass to my eyes. All of the scopes I mentioned will work fine on the .243 or even a 30-06 for that matter. ;)

Tim

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:44:08 AM »
The Mueller is hard to beat in the $140.00 range 4-12
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
The Mueller is hard to beat in the $140.00 range 4-12

It's even a better buy for $115 shipped! ;)

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

http://eabco.com/MuellerAPV.htm

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:50:32 AM »
sounds great i will look into all of them thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »
Yea $115.00 is better, i should buy another. I bought my Mueller when
 they first started making them for Brown, I think it was less than the $140.00
i mentioned, of course it does say BROWN on it. it is a good scope.
Rex

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:03 AM »
The Brown 97D is an upgraded version of the APV and does cost more at $159 now that the introductory price is gone.  :'(

Tim

http://www.eabco.com/97DRiflescope01.html

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:37:27 AM »
I do something right every now and then.
Rex

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 10:02:39 AM »
for the life of me i cant find any info from anyone on here about a good deer round in 243 without spending as much as i did on my rifle of coarse. I know every rifle is different but i know there are some good factory loads out there any advice?

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »
yeah i noticed the price difference bad timing i guess but there are always alternatives

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »
for the life of me i cant find any info from anyone on here about a good deer round in 243 without spending as much as i did on my rifle of coarse. I know every rifle is different but i know there are some good factory loads out there any advice?

You can't beat the Remington Core-Lokts.  Right now you can get $5.00 a box back from Remington on 2 boxes.  That brings them in at around $10.00 a box if you buy them at Walmart.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
sounds good maybe ill try some this year see how they do ive heard some horror stories with 243 rounds doing very poorly with deer but at the same time ive heard many success stories too maybe its just luck or the shooters.

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
I got into the scope market recently and I actually settled on 2 of them... The Nikon Prostaff and the Bushnell Elite.  I have to admit that I had a 'thing' for a new Nikon for quite a while, but I also took into consideration what was being said of the Bushnell Elites.  I ended up being so undecided about which one to buy, I bought one of each.  Both were in the area of $150.

Out of the box, I like the Nikon better but I am told that the Bushnell Elite may be the better of the two in performance.

I have the Elite mounted on a VTR and I will be putting the Prostaff on a 673.  I anticipate both to be great performers, considering the ratings they have gotten here by some of the better shooters in this country that visit this website.

One thing is for sure, you can shoot any caliber out of any rifle, but it is the optics that will prove to be the difference.  What ever you saved by buying a less expensive rifle should be spent on a better scope, IMO.  Kind of like a Fishing outfit....any old cheap pole will do, however, it is the reel that can make the difference.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:49 AM »
sounds good maybe ill try some this year see how they do ive heard some horror stories with 243 rounds doing very poorly with deer but at the same time ive heard many success stories too maybe its just luck or the shooters.

Shoot them where your supposed to, and they'll drop like a rock.  I prefer the .243 over anything smaller than the .308 on deer.

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 10:21:47 AM »
yeah i wasnt sure i was reading that the 25-06 was much better on them but honestly like you said if you hit em right it really wont matter.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
I got into the scope market recently and I actually settled on 2 of them... The Nikon Prostaff and the Bushnell Elite.  I have to admit that I had a 'thing' for a new Nikon for quite a while, but I also took into consideration what was being said of the Bushnell Elites.  I ended up being so undecided about which one to buy, I bought one of each.  Both were in the area of $150.

Out of the box, I like the Nikon better but I am told that the Bushnell Elite may be the better of the two in performance.

I have the Elite mounted on a VTR and I will be putting the Prostaff on a 673.  I anticipate both to be great performers, considering the ratings they have gotten here by some of the better shooters in this country that visit this website.

One thing is for sure, you can shoot any caliber out of any rifle, but it is the optics that will prove to be the difference.  What ever you saved by buying a less expensive rifle should be spent on a better scope, IMO.  Kind of like a Fishing outfit....any old cheap pole will do, however, it is the reel that can make the difference.

Being in focus at all ranges, and glare on the ocular lens are the areas where I found the Bushnell 3200 Elites to beat the Nikon Prostaffs.  Eye relief was the one area where that I felt the Nikon was better.  Just my 2 cents from using both in the field.

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »

yeah no kidding i need to spend quality money instead of what is the easiest or cheapest way to go im sure i would spend alot more in the long run unless i buy a good quality scope to begin with. Thanks i will look into those i hope they carry them at academy sports cause its the only place close/

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »

Being in focus at all ranges, and glare on the ocular lens are the areas where I found the Bushnell 3200 Elites to beat the Nikon Prostaffs.  Eye relief was the one area where that I felt the Nikon was better.  Just my 2 cents from using both in the field.
The eye relief isnt a big problem i am short so i use a youth rifle they are more comfortable to me adjustment of the scope is easy, however the focus of the scope at all distances is a big factor for me to many scopes i have had just didnt have that quality.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »

The Rem Core-Lokts are good, but I think the Federal Fusion 95gr and Power-Shok 100gr are worth checking out for deer too, and they have a $5 per box(2 box max) rebate being offered now too.  ;) Walmart sells Federal, you have ten stores in your town.  You have a Sportsman's Warehouse store in Albuquerque NM north of you, maybe time for a road trip, lots of scopes.... but no Mueller Optics......yet!!

Tim

http://www.federalpremium.com/promotions/promotions.aspx

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/store.cfm?storeNum=156

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »

The Rem Core-Lokts are good, but I think the Federal Fusion 95gr and Power-Shok 100gr are worth checking out for deer too, and they have a $5 per box(2 box max) rebate being offered now too.  ;) You have a Sportsman's Warehouse store in Albuquerque NM north of you, maybe time for a road trip, lots of scopes.... but no Mueller Optics......yet!!

Tim

http://www.federalpremium.com/promotions/promotions.aspx

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/store.cfm?storeNum=156
ha yeah better talk to the wife about that whole road trip idea but maybe i can sneak out one day lol, but i will seriously try there if i cant find what im looking for here.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
I snuck in: "Walmart sells Federal, you have ten stores in your town." while you were replying!!! ;D

Tim

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:21:12 AM »
I snuck in: "Walmart sells Federal, you have ten stores in your town." while you were replying!!! ;D

Tim

Ha Ha ok i will look there, now you said those were good deer rounds?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 11:28:59 AM »
Yup, excellent deer ammo, cheap too in comparison to premium stuff which isn't necessary for deer....but you do want to shoot what shoots good in your rifle, less expensive ammo gets you there with a bit more money in your wallet after a trip or two to the range. ;)

Tim