Author Topic: GOP voter fraud scandal 'really serious'  (Read 539 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
GOP voter fraud scandal 'really serious'
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:46:58 AM »

Analyst: GOP voter fraud scandal 'really serious'

David Edwards and Muriel Kane
Raw Story
Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008

The Los Angeles Times reported on Saturday that dozens of voters have complained they were duped by a firm working for the GOP into switching their party registration to Republican while being told they were signing a petition for tougher penalties on child molesters.

The switches could impede Democratic get-out-the-vote efforts and could prevent those affected from voting in next year's Democratic primaries. Some of the voters were even switched to absentee status, meaning they could lose their vote entirely if they show up at the polls on Election Day without bringing an absentee ballot.

The story began last summer, when California Democrats noticed sudden, unexplained turnarounds in Republican registration in certain counties and obtained a list of the new registrations from the San Bernardino County registrar's office. They found that more than 75% of the phone numbers given were invalid, and of those voters who could be reached, over 80% said their registrations had been switched to Republican without their knowledge.

A single group turned out to be behind the "slamming" -- Young Political Majors, which was previously found to be using similar tactics in Florida in 2004. In that election, YPM was employed by another firm called JSM Inc., which was working for conservative powerhouse Arno Political Associates. Similar stories involving all three have surfaced in Arizona, Massachusetts, and Ohio.

MSNBC's Contessa Brewer asked legal analyst Susan Filan on Monday about the case. "This is really serious," Filan responded. "This is a very specific, deliberate intent to mislead." She contrasted it with the far more trivial accusations of voter fraud against the anti-poverty group ACORN, which has handed in occasional fake registrations under names such as "Mickey Mouse."

Late on Saturday, the owner of Young Political Majors, Mark Jacoby, was arrested on charges of having fraudulently registered himself to vote at a California address where he lived as a child so that he would meet California's legal requirement that signature gatherers be eligible to vote in that state.

Jacoby's attorney called the charges "baseless" and part of a "long pattern of harassment," saying that his client travels a lot and has continued to use his parents' home as his legal address.

The California GOP issued a statement claiming that "California Secretary of State Debra Bowen has decided to once again show her partisan colors and charge an individual for questions surrounding his own, personal voter registration. ... The charges we've seen today suggests that this is politically motivated. ... It is evident that Debra Bowen is using her office to play politics with the public's perception."

Filan's comment on this claim was, "To say this is politically motivated is just nonsense. To not prosecute something like this would be an extreme dereliction of a public official's duty." However, she did not address the question of whether there was any impropriety in arresting Jacoby for his personal actions rather than because of the accusations of fraud against his firm.

Bradblog has been following the Jacoby case and is posting regular updates.

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
Re: GOP voter fraud scandal 'really serious'
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:39:58 AM »
Huh?  Republicans doing something wrong???  I thought it was those evil dems responsible for the corruption in our voter registration system.  ::) 

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »
It's not true. Only Libs pull scams like that   ;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »
Even if they were registered as Rep's, they could still vote whichever way they wanted in the General Election.  This only affects primary elections anyways, even if it were true.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »
They are all corrupt

Troy

.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline jimster

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:14:02 AM »
How can someone be "duped" into swtiching parties??   I'm not a rep or a dem, I'm just an independent...how could someone convince me to leave that and be a dem, or a rep?

Well, anyways....Los Angles Times reported all kinds of things that were not true...so maybe we should not pay attention to it since they have been caught in a lie before.  Of course, not saying it didn't happen...just saying once a paper lies about things,  all that is written will be taken with a grain of salt after that.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:27:16 AM »
  If this story is even remotley true it is completly basless and stupid. What does what you are registered as R or D have to do with who you will vote for? Now the story trys to put the LOs Angeles time name into is to give it some "credibilitey" but if you look into rawstory.com you will see it is a far left wanna be news website.

Now I could have believed it if the story claimed the Dem voters were to stupid to mark the correct box as they claim happened in Florida, but no it would make absolutly no sence to just change someone from D to R as it makes no difference who they vote for in the general election. What I talking to you about here is common sence, to bad some of you have none of it.

And troy you are correct they all are corrupt, but this time it is just a silly nonsence made up story.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.