Author Topic: How to load Remington 1858 Cap and Ball question  (Read 1532 times)

Offline kkirkup

• Trade Count: (0)
    • 1968 Dodge Charger
How to load Remington 1858 Cap and Ball question
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
I purchased an Pietta .44 Cap and Ball 1858 Remington. I have not shot cap and ball for over 20 years. I am using Pyrodex P powder and the loading chart calls for 37 grains. This fills the cyliders near the top. Am I doing something wrong? I dont want to compress the powder if I dont have to. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ken

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
Re: How to load Remington 1858 Cap and Ball question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
I'd go to 28-30 grains by volume.  Thats all about mine can accomodate.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »
You cant compress that much powder to get the ball to clear the frame, if using pyrodex step one is reduce the charge 10%. i cast 45 cal bullets with a shortened mold and ajusted powder charge down to were the bullet seats deep enough to allow the cylinder to rotate.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline kkirkup

• 1968 Dodge Charger
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:53:23 AM »
Thanks, that what was happening. The cylinder was so full that the ball would hardly compress low enough, to allow the cylinder to rotate.

Another question is that once you know the correct level of powder grains in the cylinders, do you fill them by eye, or use the powder measure every time?

Ken

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:56:16 AM »
In order to provide any consistent accuracy you need to measure every time.

I would start at 25 grains and work up to find your accurate load.

Plus, if you eyeball too much powder then the ball will not fit and you need to try to pull it out, not fun.

yooper77

Offline curtism1234

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 06:07:30 AM »
The group size and location is the exact same at 20, 25, and 30 grains of powder in my 1858. It's the same gun you have.

I measure mine each time. It really does slow the loading time time down quite a bit though compared to eyeballing it. I would hate to put too much powder in it, think I can still get the ball down, and then find out I can't.

I'd measure

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:22:55 AM »
I cut the nozzle of my loading flask to the level of the correct powder charge and watch the level in the cylinders for consistant pours.  I get the same groups as if I measured each load and it's a lot faster.  I also got one of those cylinder loaders that seems to process the cylinder faster than on the gun, of course I also bought 2 spare cylinders and get 18 shots between reloads.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:54:01 AM »
37 grains of Pyrodex is equal to 46.25 grains of Black powder.  While I'm sure the modern 1858 can take it, the 50 grain limit of the Walker is real close.  Until the 44 mag the walker was the most powerful handgun.
If 37 grains is you black powder load you want to load 29.6 or 30 grains by volume.
Also what pyrodex are you using?  The RS stuff is a larger grain than the P and will take up more space.
Just my 2 cents.