Author Topic: More stuff built  (Read 1327 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
More stuff built
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »
Here's two projects I completed this week.

4.1" "can" mortar.

50 caliber muzzle loader Gatling gun W/display stand.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: More stuff built
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »
DOM DOM DOM

more info on the gattling please
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
I like the way you throw out the word "stuff"...  That's unbelievable!  Nice work!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
We need to see a video on the GAT in action!!! That thing looks scary  :o woohoo!!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
     Mike and I looked at these while we were visiting and the mechanism on the gatling is unique and the hammer seems to snap positively upon the nipples.  When Dom cranked it at a moderate rate it seemed to be about 3 shots per second, maybe 4.  I am most interested in a light weight mortar to have fun with and his intermediate can mortar fits the bill quite well.  It's between beer can and 2lb coffee can size, maybe small coffee can size.  The tube was easily lifted with one hand!  Not 200lbs like our SBR 4" 1797!  We prodded and poked that Gatling quite a bit and Dom spun it all around.  Looks pretty solid to Mike and I.  I agree with the person who suggested a video clip.  THAT would sell it quicker than anything else.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:40:15 PM »
I seen muzzloading gatlings before, they are fun..

That 9 pounder is kinda, neat.

How can you top this! I know but ain't talking!

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
The man is a GENIUS!!!!! :o
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:59:43 AM »
Actually it is more a Pepperbox on steroids than a gatling gun!  :o

have you given it a good testing? the pepper box pistols were known on ocasion to chain fire if the caps

were not seated well, it was also the reason most designs have a shield around the cap area.

I am not saying this as a critizism just observations. I for one like it!  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:45:13 AM »
 Neat! When does the golf ball Gattling debut?

KABAR2 - Methinks the pepperboxes had their nipples a little closer together than this one has.

As we all know, the farther apart the nipples, the bigger the, uh...space in between them...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 02:02:22 AM »
Neat! When does the golf ball Gattling debut?

KABAR2 - Methinks the pepperboxes had their nipples a little closer together than this one has.

As we all know, the farther apart the nipples, the bigger the, uh...space in between them...

Very True! I Conceed the point before we get way off topic  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »
Your busted!!! Get back on topic.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »
"busted"

Looks like no one is immune! ;D

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:32:01 AM »
Dom, PM sent.

Ed

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »
Hmm nice stuff, Like to have the Gatlin gun in my toybox. Seriously that Gatlin gun is impresive. Dom you make some serious "heavy metal" and I thought the Golfball "Dictator" mortar was massive....

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 03:34:56 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  I actually fired it with blanks and it works well.  I was surprised at how heavy a spring I needed to ignite the #11 percussion caps.  This made the handle harder to turn so that's the reason for the longer crank handle.  It fires 4 barrels per revolution.  I saw an original firing and it fired only twice per revolution.  They have a worm gear drive which changes the ratio and slows the rotation of the barrel.  The possibility of mis-fires is the reason that I did not make a barrel cradle assembly that wraps around the front of the gun like the original.  It is a smooth bore 50 cal with 1" od barrels, uses a pair of industrial chain sprockets intermeshing for the 2 to 1 ratio angle drive. When you turn the handle, the barrel rotates and the spring loaded hammer rides up the ramp and drops onto each percussion nipple. It's a very simple mechanical arrangement.  This is actually the precurser to a [golf ball] Revolving Hotchkiss Cannon in the future.  [Someday]... ...[Chambered barrels of course]  Regards,  Dom

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:05 AM »

Ahem...I've been busted by a Double D?

Back on topic, here's a 22 cal Gattling-type gun I designed and built many years ago. I didn't know of Dardick's guns at the time, but it works similarly. Rimfire shells are loaded into steel sleeves (chambers, really) fed by a modified 1911 magazine, fired and then ejected out of the opposite side of the receiver.

It's similar to Dom's design in that a spring-loaded striker is lifted by a cam and dropped onto the firing pins when the chambers come up to TDC. I'm sure a similar arrangement of an internal striker/cam could be used for a black powder Gattling if the nipples were exposed for capping at the rear of the receiver...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardick_tround
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 05:10:43 AM »

Ahem...I've been busted by a Double D?

Back on topic, here's a 22 cal Gattling-type gun I designed and built many years ago. I didn't know of Dardick's guns at the time, but it works similarly. Rimfire shells are loaded into steel sleeves (chambers, really) fed by a modified 1911 magazine, fired and then ejected out of the opposite side of the receiver.

It's similar to Dom's design in that a spring-loaded striker is lifted by a cam and dropped onto the firing pins when the chambers come up to TDC. I'm sure a similar arrangement of an internal striker/cam could be used for a black powder Gattling if the nipples were exposed for capping at the rear of the receiver...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardick_tround

Dominick: That's some great work!

Victor,
 That's an interesting mechanism you made there; when you say modified 1911 mag, I assume your talking about a 45 ACP clip that fits into the rectangular piece of metal attached to the cylinder and then....... a rotary mechanism strips the rounds from the clip and an (internal?) firng pin strikes the rimfires??? Are the four threaded holes suppossed to hold threaded barrels?
 I read an article not too long ago (I think in the American Rifleman) about the Dardick gun and its "trounds". I'd never heard of this gun before, this thing is a trip, it looks like a space gun toy from the 50's. The writer said the price for collector's was going through the roof for both the gun and trounds because of their rarity.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
 Boom J,

Yes, that's how it works. 18" threaded 22 cal barrels are screwed into the bronze piece at the front and tied together with a ring at the muzzle end. A 'tiller' with a grip on it is screwed into the rear of the tripod mount to aim it. The 'chambers' are shaped like a 45 ACP round to fit the modified mag. It works well, and IIRC will fire ~300 round/minute.

I originally built it as a prototype, thinking it was something new that might be patentable (this was in pre-internet days). Then I found out about Dardick.

I never thought of using a similar design for black powder until seeing Dom's one here. If the parts to make it feed and fire with firing pins were deleted, it would be fairly simple to make a BP one.

Here's what the internals look like...

This is a 38 cal Tround...

Maybe Dom could make me a golf-ball one.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
Victor,

Thanks for the response about the .22 rimfire gatling gun; I have a cousin that's 62 that worked in a few gun shops when he was a younger man, and he recalled that he could have had one of these Dardick's for $70-$75 bucks. It's a pity that foresight is no where near as accurate as hindsight.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »
Dom, that is a neat rear sight assembly that you've put on the gatling. Will you be incorporating it on other designs?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 02:04:45 AM »
Dom, that is a neat rear sight assembly that you've put on the gatling. Will you be incorporating it on other designs?

I'm working on a more refined version for cannons.  I will post photos of it when their done.  Dom