Author Topic: Help me make 15 inch barrel A rifle  (Read 17591 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
Help me make 15 inch barrel A rifle
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:01:29 AM »
What can I do to make a 14 or 15 barrel so that it will be a Legal Rifle
I have a few thoughts but not sure,so I come to the experts
I am trying to be cost efficient also , If I can accomplish this make over my self ,that would be a Big Plus
GBO is the answer room I know I'll have a rifle barrel soon
Tom

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Help me make 15 inch barrel A rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:23:14 AM »
Got to the sell\trade post and sell it and buy what you want or swap it for what you want.

Dave

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:33:54 AM »
Dave offers the best solution.  Another would be to weld an extension on to the end of the barrel that would make it more than 16 inches long.  It must be permanent, not threaded on.  I have a ,222 barrel with a home made flash hider welded on.  It shoots well, but it is so ugly I rarely put it on a frame.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:05:58 AM »
I wouldn't want to risk getting caught with a 14" or 15" barrel on a rifle stock.  Even if you try to make it longer by adding a flash suppressor or a brake, you risk having some BATF guy pummeling you severely about the head and shoulders!   It would be best to trade it or sell it for a rifle barrel that you want, or save up your $$ and buy one.  It's not worth going to prison over.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:52:03 AM »
I wouldn't want to risk getting caught with a 14" or 15" barrel on a rifle stock.  Even if you try to make it longer by adding a flash suppressor or a brake, you risk having some BATF guy pummeling you severely about the head and shoulders!   It would be best to trade it or sell it for a rifle barrel that you want, or save up your $$ and buy one.  It's not worth going to prison over.

While I personally would never add a brake/FS to a barrel period, let alone to make it legal length, if anyone did and their barrel was over the required 16" rifle/18"shotgun, no one, including a BATF agent can say squat - the barrel is legal.   Your only risk of going to prison would be from stuffing the barrel up the agents arse sideways, or wrapping it around their inflatted head.   ;D
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:23:10 AM »
But.....ugly is ugly unless your a darn good welder and have the tanks to do a darn good bluing job on the barrel. and if your going to go thru all that work......I'd say work some overtime, save the money and just do a swap on the GB boards and it would be much easier.

But....that's just me.

Dave

Offline tradegun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:57:47 AM »
Get in contact with David White at D & T Custom Gun Works he makes and installs PERMANENT barrel extensions. He just did a barrel extension on my 14" 357 MAX. barrel, excellent workmanship and very cost effective.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »
I would trade the barrel and have a rifle barrel cut down to 16 1/2" and you can use it for both pistol and rifle if desired.

Or keep your barrel and buy a rifle length barrel.

yooper77

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:43:16 AM »
I had a muzzle break added to my barrell by Guncraft in Ruskin.  Can't tell It has been added except for the place where joined.  Smooth finish.  Now over 16".

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
Your only risk of going to prison would be from stuffing the barrel up the agents arse sideways, or wrapping it around their inflatted head.

ROFL! ;D

Offline reloading_rich

• Trade Count: (71)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »
Somebody made a extension to add to a Contender barrel to bring it up to 16.25 inchs.  It must be welded on your barrel and reblued.  I am not certain but I think it may have been Choate that was making these.  I still see one for sale once in a while, may have been on ebite where I last saw one.
This past election has shown that the number of parasites have finally out numbered the ones that they feed from

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »
  Can't tell It has been added except for the place where joined.

Well.....doesn't that now mean that you can tell?

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
Doesn't matter if you can tell.   As long as its permanent its legal.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »
t/c has a muzzle break that takes their 15" pistol barrels to the required over 16" mark.  call them or go to the webpage and click on the custom shop.  for a send in barrel last time i checked was 75 plus shipping  they are permant and baft legal
NRA Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »
Unless you have a strong sentimental attachment to that barrel the most cost effective way of doing it is to either trade it or sell it and buy another.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 01:28:36 AM »

I would respectfully disagree with that statement. If that were the case, I would just have my machinist buddy do some rifling to any old rusty pipe that I find lying about in my cellar or the woods....slap some rust prevention paint on it and fire away.

Not only do I like my guns to shoot good, I also like them to look good. Even my $200 Stevens rifle has my "custom" camo paint job on the stock. I shoots Bergers in cloverleafs and it looks good....for an ugly gun.

Dave 

Offline Tommyt

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »
 Thanks so Far ...........

What I'm getting at
 I come to like a 15" barrel , "it shoots Clovers" off the bags but due to Medical woes, I have trouble with pistol configuration in 15 inch's
 So to keep the Good Shooting barrel I feel If I could shoulder it that would be the way to go.

If I trade or sell off .......I loose a good /excellent proven Barrel
  PART#2
 I was thinking in the first post I maybe able to solder a Legal Flash suppressor on and in back of my mind I would Undo do it If I choose

Tom

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »

I would respectfully disagree with that statement. If that were the case, I would just have my machinist buddy do some rifling to any old rusty pipe that I find lying about in my cellar or the woods....slap some rust prevention paint on it and fire away.

Not only do I like my guns to shoot good, I also like them to look good. Even my $200 Stevens rifle has my "custom" camo paint job on the stock. I shoots Bergers in cloverleafs and it looks good....for an ugly gun.

Dave 

Dave,

My statement was made concerning the main topic of this thread - legallity, not asthetics.   It's obvious now that you meant asthetics, although it could be read both ways as written.   So call me bad for missing your point as intended pard.   I really do need to brush up on my mind reading for sure.    ;)     Asthetics are important to me too, why I have so many custom firearms with exhibition wood on them, and one of the reasons why none of them wear muzzle brakes, surpressors, etc.   I simply don't like the looks of them and never felt a need for what they do.

Larry

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
Just cuz a barrel shoots good in its current configuration does NOT mean it will once you alter it and change barrel harmonics. It might and it might not.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline David D.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »
Just cuz a barrel shoots good in its current configuration does NOT mean it will once you alter it and change barrel harmonics. It might and it might not.

How true!!!!  I had a 26" heavy Encore barrel cut to 14". It shot good as a rifle barrel but even better as a pistol barrel. I firgrued I would have to do load-D over onced shortened, but it shot great using the same loads.
Dave D.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 12:11:18 PM »
They are legal you just have to bribe the government to give you a S.B.R. permit, just pay the bribe and all is good.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »
 I really do need to brush up on my mind reading for sure.    ;) 

Somewhere on this board they do offer a class on this very subject. ::)

Asthetics are important to me too, why I have so many custom firearms with exhibition wood on them, and one of the reasons why none of them wear muzzle brakes, surpressors, etc.   I simply don't like the looks of them and never felt a need for what they do.

Larry

Yeah....I'm with you on that. I personally find MB's ugly, unattractive, noisy, and just plain useless. But....if I had time I'd tell you what I really think. ;D

Dave

Offline hunterspistol

• Avid Poster
  • You mean this isn't the road to the shooting range
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 07:33:33 AM »
 You'd need a 16" carbine barrel to be legal, not sure if adding a muzzle brake would make any difference at all. Why not move up to a 21" barrel? Ed's ad is right above you.
"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."
Henry Ford

Offline kiddekop

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
t/c has a muzzle break that takes their 15" pistol barrels to the required over 16" mark.  call them or go to the webpage and click on the custom shop.  for a send in barrel last time i checked was 75 plus shipping  they are permant and baft legal
I called Fox Ridge Outfitters to speak to a male tech but they were out hunting so when I asked about the muzzle tamer the female said it would work great on my 15" encore 454 casull barrel ,sent it in and had it installed tried it when I rec'd it back just a lot noisier,the next call to the male techs revealed they don't work on the 454 casull.

Offline Tommyt

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
Quote from: kiddekop
I called Fox Ridge Outfitters to speak to a male tech but they were out hunting so when I asked about the muzzle tamer the female said it would work great on my 15" encore 454 casull barrel ,sent it in and had it installed tried it when I rec'd it back just a lot noisier,the next call to the male techs revealed they don't work on the 454 casull.
I'm confused  ???

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 01:46:44 PM »
I think the TC Muzzle Tamer is a screw on or glue on and not permanently attached so would NOT make it legal as a rifle even if over 16".

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Tommyt

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »
If I were to Solder on some kind of suppressor would that be legal
I'm thinking if Legal I could heat it on and back off Then If it screws up the Harmonics POI  pull it
 and not hurt the barrel much

In Plain English : what if I extended it with a soldered Steel tube ,would it be legal ?

Offline will36

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »
just have it threaded and pick out a nice brake . Thread it on have a small hole drilled thru the side close to the bottom and insert a pin  then weld up the hole.  finish the weld  and refinish the brake. I have a gunsmith buddy who can hook you up. Need a # pm me. As long as it can not be removed with your hand it will be legal. no need for ugly welds showing. 

Offline Tommyt

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »
no need for ugly welds showing. 
Thanks for the Help and Info ,I'll try local if not I'll get you a PM and a ##
Thanks
Tom

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 05:59:03 PM »
No solder is NOT legal. I don't think a pin that is welded in place would be either. The way it is worded the attachment that makes it longer must be permanently attached. In the case of the pin that is what's attaching it and that's not permanent. Welding a small pin in place doesn't make the attachment permanet as drilling out the pin would allow it to be removed.

I think you'll need to weld the brake in place not pin it and weld the pin. I do think silver solder is considered adequte but don't bet the farm on that. Regular solder isn't.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125