Author Topic: Help me make 15 inch barrel A rifle  (Read 17543 times)

Offline Ruskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Help me make 15 inch barrel A rifle
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2009, 05:31:59 AM »
What exactly do you do?  You file an pay a tax on a frame or what?  Do you receive a stamp back for the 200.00?  Is it dedicated to that frame?

Offline greenmtnboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »
Steve,   Im not doin the same as anyone...  Im simply showing you that T/C Does make a Contender Rifle and they have for many years.  Your the one that said they didn't.  I never said anything about an UZI or a Buckmark.  Speaking of spreading DO-DO  you seem to be spreading it rather thick here and then backstepping right into it.  You need to get a few facts straight before you start trying to apply them.
ROD

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2009, 04:58:49 PM »
The letter being referenced in this post as applicable to the Thompson Center Conteder IS NOT APPLICABLE.  If you read page one of the letter, the writer's concerns are 100% toward converting an UZI and wondering if the supreme court case United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co. my apply.

I think John R Spencer was right on the money when he stated, "With respect to the Thompson Center Contender kit, the United States Supreme Court's decision, United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co. (1992), applies to this kit exclusively."

Not an UZI, not an Encore, not a G2 Contender Pistol, NOR a G2 Contender Rifle!

If you have a Contender and a Carbine kit, you are protected by the law.
If you have something else, you'd best have the $200 permit and a lot of documentation to be protected.

Steve :)
Like was stated before, the supreme court case ended in favor
of allowing TC to sell parts in a box, NOT the ability to circumvent
ATF rulings like once the stock goes on its always a rifle period.
I think we all agree that if the Feds say it's illegal to convert back to
a pistol then that is how it ends. Suggesting otherwise is like suggesting
to break the law on this forum. I think it's going to take Graybeard to
make a final decision on where to draw the line on this issue.

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2009, 05:19:37 PM »
Lets just keep it rolling a bit longer, till I get a Letter or I could then make a New Post
I think if we keep it Civil GB will let it stay
I think its going to end as we see it here someone feels one way others interpret it another way
I hope they tell me out not just send a ruling the can be Interpreted Differently as we have seen here already
Peacefully of course  :)

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:18 PM »
Lets just keep it rolling a bit longer, till I get a Letter or I could then make a New Post
I think if we keep it Civil GB will let it stay
I think its going to end as we see it here someone feels one way others interpret it another way
I hope they tell me out not just send a ruling the can be Interpreted Differently as we have seen here already
Peacefully of course  :)

I look forward to another response. However, I think quite a few people
will not care as long as they do not get caught breaking the law.
The prohibition of the 1920s proved this with bootlegged alcohol.
Until TC gets sued over this, they will continue to keep quiet
on this issue. TC needs to put out a statement about this.

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »
The following is all very extremely relevant info to this issue from
famous gunsmith that will not be identified on this post
due to GB's policy which I respect.
Pm me if you need the link to authenticate.

Quote:

In summary, without getting into all the court decisions and logic behind both positions, it boils down to this:

Thompson Center says you can freely swap handgun and rifle parts back and forth so long as you do not combine a buttstock and a barrel less than 16" or an overall length with a buttstock under the legal 26" limit.

The BATF says you can't!

Who are you going to believe?

I tend to believe the one carrying the big stick with the arrest powers and suggest you do the same!

Special Thanks to "GonHuntin" for his persistence in bringing these issues to our attention and for supplying his copy of the BATF's responses posted above. Below is a background letter from him:

First off, ____ , I'd like to thank you for the comments you have made regarding my efforts to determine the truth about what is and is not
legal to do with the Encore and Contender.

First, a little background info so folks will know where I am coming from. I have been shooting as long as I can remember. I started loading my own shotgun ammo with a Lee Loader when I was about 10 years old. If it goes bang, I enjoy shooting it! I bought my first Contender about 16 years ago and have enjoyed collecting, shooting and hunting with them ever since that time.

Not long after buying my first Contender, I also became interested in Title 2 firearms (commonly known as "class 3 weapons" or NFA weapons). As I researched the laws pertaining to title 2 firearms, specifically the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968, I also learned of the TC Supreme Court case. I read everything I could find about the case. About this same time, I was a member of the old "TC List", an e-mail discussion group centered on the TC Contender. While participating on this list, the topic of converting Contenders between rifle and pistol configuration often came up, one member even publicly reported shooting his 14" 309 JDJ Contender with a buttstock attached! These discussions also were commonplace on the various handgun forums. As I participated in these discussions, I was often attacked for mentioning the laws that prohibit the conversion of rifles into pistols. I was told that the TC court case had somehow exempted the Contender from the law, I was also told that all TCs were legally handguns despite how they left the factory, and I was told that it didn't matter how they left the factory as long as the dealer listed the firearm as a pistol when the paperwork was done. I knew that all these "explanations" were simply not true. I had actully taken the time to read and research the TC court case, and I had actually read the National Firearms Act and the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Years went by and the discussions continued. I was called a liar, stupid and many other things that weren't quite as complimentary. Finally, in 2003, I'd had enough of those people who either didn't want to listen or chose to ignore the facts, so I decided to settle the matter once and for all. I wrote a letter to the BATF Technology Branch in Washington DC. The Technology Branch is the division of the BATF who's job is to determine the legality of firearms. They are the folks you contact when you want an answer to a legal or technical question concerning firearms and they answer the question with reference to the specific laws that apply. If you don't like their answer, the next step is to file a court action.

The response I received from the Technology Branch confirmed what I had said all along (the original letter I wrote and the BATF response are posted on this forum and available for you to read).

When presented with irrefutable facts, antagonists then often ask me how many people have been prosecuted for illegally converting a Contender or Encore or how likely is it that a person would ever get caught. My response to those questions are, "I don't know".......and that is not really the point....is it? I'm not interested in discussing the moral issue of breaking the law or the risks of getting caught, I'm interested in getting the facts out to those who are potentially at risk of committing a federal felony due to ignorance of the law. The fact is, people commit serious crimes everyday and get away with it, however, most of those people know the risks of their action but many TC owners don't!

In the unlikely event you get caught and are prosecuted, the penalty for possession of an unregistered Title 2 weapon is up to 10 years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines. Even if you aren't convicted, it would cost a small fortune to defend yourself in court.

Bottom line.......even if the chance of getting caught is remote, is it worth the risk when you can buy a $250 pistol frame and not worry about it?

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »
That is a long article, but you conveniently left out a few of the paragraphs that lend credibility to what I have been saying all along.  Let me underline a few of the more applicable points:

"There should be some mention somewhere that the US Supreme Court case the TC letter (posted below) speaks of did not deal with converting contenders that left the factory in rifle configuration.....it only addressed the legality of converting a contender handgun into a rifle through the use of a "carbine kit"......TC did not offer a factory contender carbine at the time the case was filed......thus, the decision cannot be used to infer the legality of converting contenders/encores that left the factory as rifles...... "

"With these systems, a receiver may be assembled either with a pistol grip and pistol barrel, or with a shoulder stock and rifle barrrel (minimum length 16 inches). A barrel under 16 inches in length must never be assembled onto the reciever when the shoulder stock is attached. Within that parameter, the consumer may use the parts to make a pistol or carbine, and may change the configuration at will."

"In 1988, Thompson/Center filed suit against the United States alleging that the pistol and carbine kit used above do not constitute a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches in length, a weapon made from a rifle with an overall length less than 26 inches, or a restricted "firearm" as otherwise defined in the National Firearms Act. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court agreed with Thompson/Center. Their opinions are cited as United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co., 504 U.S. 505 (1992), affirming 924 F.2d 1041 (Fed. Cir. 1991).

In the trial court and in the Federal Circuit, the United States argued both that (1) the mere unassembled parts constituted a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches in length, and that (2) use of the receiver to assemble a pistol after a rifle had been assembled constituted making a weapon from a rifle with an overall length less than 26 inches. The Federal Circuit rejected both arguments. See 924 F.2d at 1043, citing 26 U.S.C. 5845 (a) (3) and (4). The United States abandoned the latter argument in the Supreme Court, which held generally for Thompson/Center. Accordingly, both issues (1) and (2) were decided in favor of Thompson/Center and are not now open to question."

So the coin turns again.  Same article, only a little higher up, you have more opinion from the same writer that favors my position.  I am legal with my Contenders.  I do not own a "G2 Contender".  I do not own an "Encore".  ALL of my convertible Thompson Center frames and barrels were and are made for the Thompson Center Contender.  All of them are legally configured with grip and barrel, or with butt stock and barrel 16" or longer. 

I am not advocating breaking the law, in fact I am 100% AGAINST IT!!  If I saw you with an illegal firearm, you can be darned sure I would call the authorities. 

I am 100% PRO-GUN and have studied the associated laws pertaining to the states I live and travel in.

You also left out the writer's bullet points that he was using to make his point.  Let me post and underline some important points there also:

"The response I received from the Technology Branch confirmed what I had said all along (the original letter I wrote and the BATF response are posted on this forum and available for you to read).

1. A firearm that left TC in rifle configuration (equipped with a buttstock) *IS* legally a rifle and is subject to all rules and regulations pertaining to rifles.

2.It is NOT legal to convert a rifle into pistol configuration without first registering it with the BATF as a Title 2 weapon, (short barreled rifle).

3. The legal status of a TC, whether rifle or pistol, is based on the configuration of the firearm when it leaves the factory.

4. The legal status of a frame that left the factory with no other parts (bare frame without stock or grips) is determined by the way it is FIRST assembled. If it is first assembled as a rifle, it will always legally be a rifle, if first assembled as a pistol, it will always legally be a pistol.

5. A dealer cannot change the legal status of a firearm by listing a rifle as a handgun on the form 4473. Listing an Encore rifle as a pistol on the 4473 does not alter the fact that it is and will always legally be a rifle.

6. A person who buys a Contender or Encore that was illegally converted from a rifle to a pistol can be prosecuted for possession of an unregistered Title 2 weapon.....*EVEN IF THAT PERSON DID NOT KNOW THE WEAPON WAS ILLEGALLY CONVERTED*!!! (a call to TC with the serial number of the frame will determine whether it is legally a rifle or pistol) "

I hope you read the writers bullet points and consider his points:

1) he stated way up in the article that TC DID NOT offer a factory Contender Carbine at the time the case was filed.  A rifle leaving TC with a buttstock in rifle configuration cannot be reassembled as a pistol.  I agree.  If anyone has a Thompson Center Contender Carbine that came from the TC factory in a factory box as a carbine, I would like to see it.  I have never seen one and would like photos of the gun and box for my records. 

2.) It is not legal to convert a rifle to a pistol.  I agree with this also.  I could have a whole lot more hand cannons if I could use rifle actions rather than searching out XP-100 actions.

3.) Legal definition of the TC is as it leaves the factory.  See also #5.  A dealer cannot change the status of the rifle to a handgun on the 4473.   HOWEVER, if you find a "Contender"  (not "G2 Contender" and not "Encore") for sale that has both the buttstock and carbine barrel, AND pistol grip and pistol barrel, you can have the gun configured with pistol grip and barrel to purchase on the 4473 as a pistol.  There would be no additional paperwork required to purchase the buttstock and carbine barrel to go with it.  EXCEPT!! if the FFL holder has the gun in his registry as a rifle.  NOW it is a rifle and you have to keep it as a rifle.

4.) No one, not even TC, can determine the original configuration of a bare frame EXCEPT the original owner.

5.) see 3.

6.) This statement could be true, but you must also consider the information contained in #4.  TC may not know what the original configuration was.

So, we hash and bash at each other with our words of wisdom only to have adverse opinions throw additional wood onto the fire.  As I stated in my prior posts, I have my letters, case files, photos, and I have done my research.  I am 100% legal per the supreme court case and, until it is overthrown, I will continue to legally carry my Thompson Center Contenders in the configuration in which they were intended, and are legally protected, to be carried. 

Have a good day and please, please, take a kid shooting!

"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Steve P

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2009, 10:51:44 AM »
Steve,   Im not doin the same as anyone...  Im simply showing you that T/C Does make a Contender Rifle and they have for many years.  Your the one that said they didn't.  I never said anything about an UZI or a Buckmark.  Speaking of spreading DO-DO  you seem to be spreading it rather thick here and then backstepping right into it.  You need to get a few facts straight before you start trying to apply them.

OK, I ask you prove your points or kindly drop out of the discussion:

"T/C Does make a Contender Rifle and they have for many years."

T/C has made lots of muzzle loaders, the TCR 83s, TCR 87s, G2 Contender Rifles, Encore Rifles, their newer Icons, R-55s, and even custom shop guns.  Please show me a magazine ad, owners manual, magazine article, for sale ad, or simlar item that discusses a manufactured Thompson Center "Contender Rifle".  (NOT a G2!)

"Speaking of spreading DO-DO  you seem to be spreading it rather thick here and then backstepping right into it."

Share the do-do and especially where I step into it.  Don't share someone elses post.  Stand up and prove the point on your own.  Prove the do-do!!   Show me how I spread it and step into it!

I am not perfect.  I learn things every day.  Your proving me wrong will give me new information that I do not have. 

I don't do personal attacks and I don't make firm statements unless I have experience or documentation to back them up.  GB would have booted me long ago if I did.

Since you have the better material, please share it with the rest of us.........

"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
You guys are right on the edge.  Discuss all you want, but if it gets personal again the posts will be edited and the thread locked.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
Steve, I think your completely missing the point.

3 points that are without question from both letters.

1. The ATF clearly says on the Oct 26,2007 letter
 whenever the 16 inch barrel and shoulder stock
are attached to a pistol it then becomes a rifle.

I really do not think there is anyone that can read that
and get confused. Pistol plus stock equals a rifle.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/WhisperFan/Convert1.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/WhisperFan/Convert2.jpg

2.The ATF clearly says on the Oct 26,2007 letter
returning it to pistol configuration would constitute
manufacturing a weapon from a rifle and would be
 a violation.
  This says they see reconfiguring
(done by the gun owner)as manufacturing.
And, this also says that returning an original pistol
that was changed to a rifle back to a pistol
is manufacturing a weapon in violation. Clearly,
you can see why their policy and that of the pistol
conversion kits like mech tech are in conflict.
manufacturing.
Returning it to pistol configuration would constitute
 a violation
I think these points are undisputable. Clear as day.
However, the letter from
http://www.handgunhunt.com/tech/t29/index.html
says that
point 3. converting a new contender from a
rifle configuration to a pistol is illegal.

Keep in mind that the TC kit mentioned in the
 TC case is a frame (virgin receiver).
Also, as seen above, configuring=manufacturing.
Technically, they legally see configuring a TC
frame or pistol into a rifle as manufacturing a
rifle. Add to that converting a new contender from a

That's straight out of the letter. They do not hold
the contender as an exception to the rule. That
has been a myth that has gone on to long.
I think you might best get an exact answer from the
Feds and not rely on your interpretation of the TC case
to save your bacon.

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »
Steve P. if you happen to be
Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D
http://stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html
my hat is off to you for fighting the TC case
and being a second amendment warrior.

Offline Steve P

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
Steve, I think your completely missing the point.

3 points that are without question from both letters.

1. The ATF clearly says on the Oct 26,2007 letter
 whenever the 16 inch barrel and shoulder stock
are attached to a pistol it then becomes a rifle.

I really do not think there is anyone that can read that
and get confused. Pistol plus stock equals a rifle.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/WhisperFan/Convert1.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/WhisperFan/Convert2.jpg

2.The ATF clearly says on the Oct 26,2007 letter
returning it to pistol configuration would constitute
 a violation.
  This says they see reconfiguring
(done by the gun owner)as manufacturing.
And, this also says that returning an original pistol
that was changed to a rifle back to a pistol
is manufacturing a weapon in violation. Clearly,
you can see why their policy and that of the pistol
conversion kits like mech tech are in conflict.
manufacturing.
Returning it to pistol configuration would constitute
 a violation
I think these points are undisputable. Clear as day.
However, the letter from
http://www.handgunhunt.com/tech/t29/index.html
says that
point 3. converting a new contender from a

Keep in mind that the TC kit mentioned in the
 TC case is a frame (virgin receiver).
Also, as seen above, configuring=manufacturing.
Technically, they legally see configuring a TC
frame or pistol into a rifle as manufacturing a
rifle. Add to that converting a new contender from a

That's straight out of the letter. They do not hold
the contender as an exception to the rule. That
has been a myth that has gone on to long.
I think you might best get an exact answer from the
Feds and not rely on your interpretation of the TC case
to save your bacon.

What I have been trying to explain to you, is YOU are missing the point.  The letter in question is 100% about an UZI.  It is not about a Thompson Center Contender.   You are taking a letter that ATF wrote about an UZI and trying to use it as a reference for a Thompson Center ContenderDon't! They are apples and oranges.  Letter does not apply!   

On your third point the letter in question is addressing the "new Contender or Encore that was shipped from the factory as a rifle".  Please, Please, Please, read my posts.  I have agreed with this statement all along.  United States vs Thompson Center Arms does NOT apply to the G2 Contender NOR to the Encore.  It ONLY applies to the Thompson Center Contender.

So, in conclusion, I agree with you 100%.  A person cannot take a G2 Contender, Encore, Uzi, Buckmark, etc from pistol to rifle and back again.  IT IS ILLEGAL.   However, I can take an original Thompson Center Contender pistol and change it back and forth all I want because the Supreme Court of the United States says I can!

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »
 However, I can take an original Thompson Center Contender pistol and change it back and forth all I want because the Supreme Court of the United States says I can!

I'm not just going by the letters and reference points.
I actually called an ATF field office. They said sorry
but no to what you proposed is legal. I posted that earlier
in the thread. I don't think I want to challenge the ATF
in court. It's expensive.

Offline Steve P

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »
Steve P. if you happen to be
Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D
http://stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html
my hat is off to you for fighting the TC case
and being a second amendment warrior.

I am sorry, but I am not he.

However I am a scholar and a gentleman.  I have been studying American History and firearms since I was in grade school.  I am not an "expert" on any one subject, but I do know more than my fair share about Ruger single action revolvers, Thompson Center Contenders, ammunition reloading, and multiple other related subjects.  I have hunted and fished since I could walk.  I have learned from experts and have taught experts.  Each of us will never come close to learning what ALL of us know.  However, I will keep trying.

I supply good information as often as I can.  I also admit it when I am wrong.   Regarding the legal use of my Thompson Center Contenders, until I get information proving the Supreme Court decision is no longer valid, I will continue to use them as they were legally intended and affirmed.

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
On your third point the letter in question is addressing the "new Contender
That letter was written Oct 2003, but it still points to
a new contender as in new in box (NOT the G2).
His request was dated Feb 15,2003 referenced in the first line.
I can't remember if the G2 was even released in Feb 2003.
There were still new in box contender pistols at dealers Feb 2003.
I saw a few myself, but I still can't remember if the G2s were out :)
I hope Tommyt requested an official response for an original
 contender pistol to the Feds. 
I asked on all 3 to cover my bases in that post:
Quoting myself:
"I was told that it is still illegal to reconfigure any pistol
 from pistol to rifle and then back to pistol.
I asked if there has been any exception made for the TC
encores, contenders, or G2s. He said no."

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2009, 03:09:44 AM »
Steve,

I may have stated this before. And if so, I'll run the risk of repeating myself. Don't you think if it were legal for the end user to swap back and fourth between rifle and handgun configurations on the same frame.....if that were in fact legal...why in the world would T\C not be marketing the death out of that?

If you look at their advertising, at their web site, there is not one piece of advertising, not one reference that states that then end user can or should swap between a handgun and a longgun configuration. Sure....they promote the heck out of the ability to change calibers. But that's where it ends.

Check it out. You will not find any T\C issued marketing material that makes the handgun to longgun or vice-versa statement.

Dave

Offline Steve P

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2009, 04:09:25 AM »
Dave,

I agree with you and your point.  It is well taken.

TC, as a manufacturor, has considerably more liability than we, the users of their products.  You will see my point here in just a minute.  Let me digress......

The technological and developmental aspects of TC products have increase tremendously in the last 10 years.  In the late 80s, the TCR 83 and 87 rifles were not a big hit, but the Contender Carbine production stayed pretty steady. 

It took a lot of years, but TC finally realized their customer base was going to keep demanding more and more out of the Contender.  The TC Custom Shop was getting flooded with orders, there were other companies making custom barrels, there were newer bullets and powders available that stretched the capabilities of the Contender to new levels.  These "new levels" were causing the Contender frames to stretch and become unsafe.  If you had a stretched frame and sent it to TC, they sent you a replacement due to "product liability".  Customer Service is priceless, but frames do have associated cost and you cannot keep writing them off because they come out of the "profit".

TC had already won the battle with the ATF and sales of Contenders and Carbine kits were on the rise.  So was the replacement rate of stretched frames.  TC had to make design changes to the Contender to keep it from stretching.  In this same time frame, several publisized law suits were hitting the news.  Suits against firearm manufacturors because their products were involved in crimes. 

Anyway, the Encore and G2 Contender were developed to replace the stretching Contender frame and to please the customers.  TC penetrated the market and promoted the heck out of the new frames and their capabilities.  If you recall back into a lot of the Outdoor shows, many many of the shooters have an Encore in their hand.  Lots of the Encores were even the Stainless models.  The sale of these new products took off.  TC was selling not only pistol configurations, but also going straight into rifles already set up ready to hunt.

OK, now to come to the point:  With the changes in our litigious society, the changes in consumer demands, the changes in TC product configurations, and the "costs" associated with pursuing this point thru to the Supreme Court again, would YOU want to advertise the capabilities of an outdated product that is costing money to replace?   

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2009, 10:24:49 AM »
Steve,

I'm really not too sure of the point you are trying to make. I'm no attorney, but I do think that if you attach an aftermarket barrel to a T\C frame, and that barrel blows up, it will not leave T\C liable for damages because of someone elses faulty barrel. T\C may get sued, but they will be dropped from the suit in short order.

T\C produced only certain calibers for the Contender and then larger ones for the Encore.

And you can correct me if I'm wrong....but I think after the lawsuit over this combo deal, T\C no longer sells combo packages.

So, you can twist or bend it in any form you like....but when you look at it, it's quackin like a duck.

Dave

Offline greenmtnboy

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »
Steve,   Im not trying to argue with you over this and I wont argue over it.  It simply isnt worth it.  Its been argued way to many times in the past as you've said yourself and it always ends up the same.  If you care to drop out Go ahead I have no reason to.  As far as any do-do goes you threw it first accusing me of getting people in trouble with statements I never made.
  Im glad to see later you said you dont do personal attacks..  I dont either unless pushed first.
  I am standing and have proven my point already.  I gave you an Item # that I was referring to and that was a T/C G2 Contender Rifle.  Yes I know G2.   But Im rather sure T/C sold a Contender the same way, Butt stock on the frame and a forearm.  You chose the 16 1/4" or 21" Rifle barrel in very few calibers to go with it.  The same as you do today.   
   I believe this is still a discussion which includes oppinions as well as facts. Yours and Mine
                                                            Rod                       

ROD

Offline greenmtnboy

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2009, 04:01:30 AM »
Contender Carbine  Not sure of the year.  But old style as shown in T/C catalogue
ROD

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2009, 06:23:20 AM »
Wow I just confirmed my biggest suspicion.

I called TC arms and spoke to customer service. Gail that is.
I was told that I could take their G2 carbine, that is right carbine,
and turn it into a pistol legally. That my friends is without a doubt
illegal, but TC is promoting this concept. You can not make a
pistol from a carbine plain and simple. It's a trip to Club Fed
in short order. Wow, now I understand how all this bad info has
been spread around. They win a case that allows them to sell
a parts in a box, and all of a sudden they make up new rules.
This could get someone in jail and I think its very irresponsible.
I am now in complete favor of a lawsuit if that is what it takes
to correct this mess. They are not going to do the right thing
unless they are forced to do so. This makes the gun community
look really bad.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:36 AM »
Has anyone applied for a NFA stamp/ license for a contender frame?

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2009, 06:49:30 AM »
Has anyone applied for a NFA stamp/ license for a contender frame?
Its a one time $200 Federal tax, but your state has to allow it and some states do not check here http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm , you have to fill out a
form do a finger prints requirement and get signed off by a chief LEO, Judge, or similar  or if you file as a corporation no need for the LEO/Judge/etc signoff.
Why bother though if you can just dedicate a frame to the configuration as it was bought and not swap back and forth. Unless you must have a short barrel on your carbine, its not worth it. However, if want a useful noise suppressor, there is no other way than filing to achieve such. At least that would help in not spooking
the deer during hunting season.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:12 AM »
It's just as cheap and even more convenient to buy another frame. And besides, I'd rather give or put my money back into the economy than give it to the government. I mean....look what a wonderful job they have done with my tax money!!!  ::)

Dave

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2009, 06:57:40 AM »
It's just as cheap and even more convenient to buy another frame. And besides, I'd rather give or put my money back into the economy than give it to the government. I mean....look what a wonderful job they have done with my tax money!!!  ::)

Dave
I guess you might mean the gov money give away sold as a bail out.
 I got a new name for that party. "The wealth redistribution party." WRP :D
 I'm a Glenn Beck fan.

Offline sthone

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2009, 07:01:38 AM »
Your first mistake would be listening to someone in any customer service position. They are basically only a warm body to answer the phone and usually don't know the first thing about whatever they are working with/for.  I'm sure TC is a great company but most CS positions are probably minimum wage so what would you expect. I'm sure all firearms places are the same, I called Beretta once to order an extractor for a Neos and the CS person asked me what is an extractor? I can't even tell you how long it took to explain, I finally did get the extractor but I wanted a few other parts that I didn't even bother to ordered because it would have taken too long to explain.  (first and last Beretta I'll ever buy I can tell you that much.)

I'd suggest going a little higher up the chain with T/c than customer service with a question like that.

Just my 2¢.

-Steve

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2009, 07:13:37 AM »
Email response from TC customer service

"Gail Lynch" <GLynch@tcarms.com>

Send me you mailing address and I will send you some paperwork on this matter.  It is not illegal to go back and forth
Gail

Thompson/Center Arms

Great now I need to email the president of TC
because they have justifying paperwork that is
in conflict with our Gov regulators.

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
I'd suggest going a little higher up the chain with T/C than customer service with a question like that.
Just my 2¢.
-Steve
Well, customer service has paperwork to justify so maybe its
not just an unknowing employee.  ???

TC is basically saying pay no attention to the authorities
its ok. The ATF says "NO." Can anyone else see why there
is a conflict here?

Offline sthone

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »
The plot thickens.  :o

I'm curious to see what kind of paper work they have, just remember "Don't believe anything you Hear, and only half of what you SEE.  :P

Let us know what happens,

-Steve

Offline expeditionx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »
The plot thickens.  :o

I'm curious to see what kind of paper work they have, just remember "Don't believe anything you Hear, and only half of what you SEE.  :P

Let us know what happens,

-Steve

Its probably the same files that Steve P says he has.
There you have it. Buy a TC product and you have a guaranteed
get out of jail card included. Finally, I can make a 12 gauge
pistol with a 8 inch barrel without no stinkin tax stamp
 and if any LEO, FBI, CIA, ATF, NSA, HLD, DOD, FEMA,
or secret service fellows have anything to
say about it I will whip out my Supreme Court TC
case literature and tell them I got diplomatic immunity
and if they don't like it TC arms will appoint the highest
paid lawyers to defend my rights all the way back to
the Supreme Court. This calls for a celebration.
Time to live it up tonight. Two budweisers and a
dozen viagra.