Author Topic: Anyone else taking a Puma-Rossi 92 hunting this year?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Anyone else taking a Puma-Rossi 92 hunting this year?
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:19:50 AM »
This will be the second season that I'll be taking my puma 44mag out hunting.  This season I've had much more time to go out and scout the area I'll be hunting.  I took out my laser rangefinder and found a couple good spots to get setup, but the shot was going to be at 130 yards give or take a few.  I'm going to the range this weekend and I'll make sure I'm good at those distances.  I may have to change my setup, but the two places where it would work out best are a little long for hunting shots.  We'll see.

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
Re: Anyone else taking a Puma-Rossi 92 hunting this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:48:59 AM »
Yep.  I'll be using my 'Puma' .357 again this year.  Last year I dropped a nice little doe at about 60 yards with same.

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »
Guess I should update from 'will be using' to 'did use' my Rossi .357 to deer hunt this year.

All I can say is anyone who says that a .357 isn't enough rifle, either hasn't used one or can't shoot.

This year I shot a 9 point buck that dressed out somewhere on the heavy side of 180lbs, and one shot was all it took.  He ran about 30 yards and piled up at the base of a tree.  Unfortunatly for me, those 30 yards took him across a stream and into a swampy area.

This picture is at the check in station after 2 hours of dragging him out of the swamps. 

There's things to be said about shooting small deer.  ;D

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:25:21 AM »
I used my puma 20" 44mag this morning for the first time.  About 7:30am he appeared out of nowhere and gave me a perfect broadside shot at 60 yards (lasered range after the shot).  He dropped right there he was kicking kind of hard and still seemed to have some fight left in him and I don't like to see them suffer so a second shot put him right out.  I used 240gr hornady XTP's and recovered my first bullet on the opposite side weighing 184.2 gr (weighed on RCBS chargemaster combo).  I was amazed at how fast & hard that 8pt buck went down.  All I could say was, wow.