Author Topic: opinions on Steiner binoculars  (Read 481 times)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
opinions on Steiner binoculars
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:32:47 PM »
Trying to get a reading on the quality / value of Steiner vs. the competition. I have a pair of the 8x30 military marines and have been pretty happy with them. I'm looking at upgrading into the <$400 range. I am used to the individual focus and now sorta like it. I wear glasses so relief is an issue. Probably want to stick in the 8x range and semi compact. What say you?
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: opinions on Steiner binoculars
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »
This one may help you a bit. http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2007roundup/binoculars_midpriced.html
 I like the leupold katmai 8x32. Eye relief is 19.2 mm. I really dont think much of the stieners. I was going to pick up a pair last year. The employee at the store urged me to test out all the binos he had to make my decision. I ended up walking out with a pair of wilderness series simmons that were about twice as clear as the stieners for a third of the price.
I needed a set with less magnification and found the review above. You would not belive the clarity. The katmai are my woods hunting binos.
Good luck
Molon labe

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:28 AM »
Gotta remember that with the Stieners, you will be getting a more rugged product.  I would trust dropping a set of Stieners over a set of Simmons any day.  I bought a pair of Redhead binocs one time from Bass Pro and they slipped off the strap.  Hit the ground from 5.5' and presently broke.  Bought a better set of bushnells for 2x the price and dropped them once by accident.  Never had a problem, not that I make it a point to go around dropping optics...:D  Price doesn't always involve clarity.  Certain models are built for more rugged use.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline olsingleshot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »
I have had a pair of Steiner Military and Marine  binoculars for over 20 years. They have been dropped submerged, muddied and still keep on ticking. I did replace the neck strap. I like them because you set them for your eyes and thats it, no focusing. Around $200