Author Topic: Cooper Firearms supports Obama.  (Read 2155 times)

Offline cpj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cooper Firearms supports Obama.
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:17:18 PM »
If this topic does not belong here, I apologize in advance. However, this is an important and timely issue. How  can someone in the gun business support Obama?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-27-prez-money_N.htm

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Cooper Firearms supports Obama.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
spread the word, boycott Cooper Arms, and blacklist him. Dan Cooper is a traitor to our country, the Constitution, and to each of us and our families....<><.... >:(

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »
Wow, probably not a good way to ensure the future of your business.  ???

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
I would say that is for certain!! :-[ ??? ???

How could ANY firearms company or anyone who has a business related to the firearms industry support Lord Obama????

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:10:46 PM »
This is the first I've ever heard of Cooper Firearms.  There's probably a good reason for that, too.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:30:28 PM »
I will never own a Cooper firearm for sure then. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:39:03 PM »
Story now is he did donate to obama to stop hillary and has since donated twice as much to mc
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:25:23 AM »
Wow, Cooper sounds like a sell out, like the old S&W management. Look at how well their deal with the Clinton administation went , almost shut them down for good. I don't know any ''middle class'' people in my area with a cooper rifle " kinda pricey" for average middle class  ::).

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:40:33 AM »
Got this from the bolt action forum...

"UPDATE:  I did what none of you did. I went to Cooper Firearms Website. http://www.cooperfirearms.com/   

If you don't want to spend the time finding out the facts,  here is what I found.

Regarding the USA Today Article. Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc. did not contribute and does not support in any fashion the campaign of Senator Obama.

Nine months ago Dan Cooper (personally) made an online donation to the campaign in an effort to help defeat Hillary Clinton and in protest of American plant closures and the shipping of jobs overseas.  Three months ago he made yet another donation to the McCain campaign and the RNC totaling over twice that given to Obama campaign.

There is no doubt that the article in USA Today has caused a considerable response.  To this end we are encouraged and stand with our fellow NRA members and supporters of the Second Amendment and against those who oppose it."

Sounds like Cooper gave the Obama capaign the money to defeat the Clinton campaign during the primary's... Most likely because he thought that Obama stood a better chance of getting defeated than Hillary.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
 like they say...be careful what you wish for

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:49 AM »
+1
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:44:11 AM »
his  gun  are all  POS

never donate to any democrat
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:54 AM »
Don't believe that he did it to defeat Hillary. Check out all the info they have about this on the Preditor Masters website.It is in the firearms and reloading forum.He made many contributions to Obama and other democrats. No one has so far been able to find 1 contribution to McCain.I will never own a Cooper  even if they gave them away.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »
It kind of reminds me of something I did as a kid. I bought my dad a paddle for fathers day thinking he would never use it on me because I gave it to him. Boy was I wrong. I wished I never saw that paddle. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Sent a not Cooper Firearms
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
 I thought I would let you folks know I sent an email to Cooper Firearms. Below I will post my note to them and the note I got back.

Lonny

Mine to them:
So you make a good rifle for now. Hopefully your donations to Obama wont bite you in the back side.

Lonny

Note from them:
""Dan Pickett to me
show details 6:55 PM (3 minutes ago) Reply

In response to the recent article highlighting Dan Cooper’s personal political donations, the board of directors, shareholders and employees of Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc would like to issue the following statement.

The employees, shareholders and board of directors of Cooper Firearms of Montana do not share the personal political views of Dan Cooper.

Although we all believe everyone has a right to vote and donate as they see fit, it has become apparent that the fallout may affect more than just Mr. Cooper.  It may also affect the employees and the shareholders of Cooper Firearms.

The board of directors has asked Mr. Cooper to resign as President of Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc.

Daily operations will continue with the competent staff currently in place in Stevensville, MT producing the finest, most accurate rifles money can buy.

Dan Cooper has spent all of his working life producing the highest quality rifles built here in the USA.  He started with nothing but the American Dream and built that into firearms company anyone would be proud of.  We firmly believe Dan stands by the 2nd amendment.
We wish him all of the best in his future pursuits""

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 01:37:42 PM »
It sounds to me like Dan Cooper is off his rocker and the other high up's in the company think so also. Dale

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »
truth be told the likelyhood of me ever owning a cooper rifle was never really high.  they just dont do much for me.  now i will never be buying one.  but like i said, i most likely never would have anyway.   

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
coopers  name  is  on  it

and  he  donated  to  a democrat
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 03:44:03 PM »
I have watched this story some over the past couple of days.
I don't know this person, but I know about Cooper Arms.
Is nothing sacred? 
I'm just stunned.
" we are screwed "

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 04:29:46 AM »
Geez can no one read?

Dan Cooper started the company long ago and was still an employee. He not the company did something we consider bad. So did the company. He got fired for it. The company didn't donate the money and fired the guy who did and now you want to condemn the company for an action of an employee who got fired.

If you'd actually put that much hatred into good causes maybe things in this country could turn around some.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 05:01:07 AM »
He was asked to resign , but did he? If S&W could turn it around , with new management, Cooper firearms should be able to also . It'll be hard without changing the name ! Those rifles are beautiful !

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 05:05:15 AM »
I've got to agree w/ greybeard.  

Bill Ruger stated that "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun…"  

The result was an avalance of gun supporters claiming that they would never again buy or own a Ruger firearms... Last I checked, in 2008 Ruger was still in business.  Several people I know that claim they would never buy or own a ruger firearm have several in their house... 10 years after the fact, but their claims were like dust in the wind.  I see a lot of the same loudmouth talk about Cooper as I remember hearing about Ruger...

Cooper will bounce back from this... Mr. Cooper will get his position back as president and after the election, nobody will think twice about it.  Cooper builds some nice guns, and I wouldn't mind owning one myself in the future.  Doesn't mean I support Obama... Maybe ol' Dan was just sick of Republicans...

Offline Duckhunter39480

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 06:25:08 AM »
This man has made his living off firearms and forearms owners.  He has written about guns, shooting and the shooting sports and for him to contribute to anyone who is diametrically opposed to firearms and firearms ownership is a repudiation of his entire life effort.  I have no respect for him or his position to advocate the eradication of my rights as a citizen.  Cooper is wealthy enough to not care what I think or what his potential customers think; he's got his and be damned with the rest of us.  This is another example of the elite st position of the liberal wealthy.  If our rights under the second amendment are abridged, Cooper can still have his favorite firearms and shoot them when he wants.  He can probably have a better hunting experience; there won't be any of us rabble cluttering up the landscape and he certainly won't have to worry about a T-time at the range.  He'll be the only one in two counties who has a gun.

Gerybeard, Singleshotsam, and others can defend him if they want.  Many people have the decency to keep their leftward leanings to themselves when it can affect their "constituency".   I judge a person by the company he keeps.  Cooper is in bad company.  
You should have said something; I didn't know I had struck a nerve.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »
Original post edited as to not appear a troll... - Sam

Wheter you choose to believe it or not, Gun rights are not the only issue in this election... Maybe Dan was pissed at the economy, maybe he just doesn't want 4 more years of the same... who knows other than Dan himself.  He may have contributed to Obama only to give him a boost to defeat Hillary in the primary.  I don't know... Really, I don't care...

I didn't understand his logic behind it, but I'm not about to join the mob rule... especially as GB stated, Cooper Firearms are taking care of the situation to appease gunowners...

This kinda reminds me of the scene out of Frankenstien, when all the villagers are standing outside with pitchforks and torches... only their outside of Coopers HQ ...

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:39 AM »
This election has gotten emotions running at an all time high.   However GB is most certainly right on target.   Everyone needs to simply THINK and don't let emotions cloud logical reasoning.  Time will tell if the resignation follows through or is just lip service for the time being.   But at this juncture,  The Board of Directors for Cooper has made a sound business decision asking Dan Cooper to step down. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »
the  board  of directors  should change the name of the gun

there  are  other issues in this election besides guns like the economy
that  i blame the democrats for  ...and if  your unarmed nothing else matters

do not  remind me of  Ruger  and s an w   failings
that  taints my time at the range with them

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 01:05:54 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-30-gun-ceo-ousted_N.htm

Apparently, Dan Cooper hasn't bothered to check Obama's voting record on gun ownership.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 01:23:30 AM »
you'd actually put that much hatred into good causes maybe things in this country could turn around some.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 03:33:48 AM »
Cooper Arms is a corporation. Dan owns stock, a lot of stock in it and perhaps more than half even but he does not own the company he founded. Like so many others in order to grow it he needed outside money and got it via investors.

From what I can tell it was him personally not the company who made the donations. Am I happy with him no for sure I am not but as a citizen of this country it is his right to donate to whoever he wants for whatever reasons. I can't imagine what his reasons might have been. But his personal actions are not reflective of the company. The folks running it have asked him to step aside for the good of the company. I hope he does and if not then I hope they fire him.

Still it's no worse than what Bill Ruger did and almost no one got up in arms over that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:28 AM »
I don't hate the man, we all have the right to make ignorant decisions that can adversely affect our future. Granted, some of us don't have that luxury. I'm in a industry, as a lot of others are, where I have to bite my tongue('til it's bloody) from time to time to keep the revenue coming in and the family fed.

What I find interesting is how the company handled this. Apparently they're holding someone accountable, or at least that's how it appears. That's a rare thing in today's world; IE: the current mortgage and investment hijinx.
I hope they follow through on it.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife