Author Topic: Shooting .310" bullets through a .308" Barrel  (Read 783 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Shooting .310" bullets through a .308" Barrel
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:27 AM »
What I was thinking about doing was getting another upper for my AR in 7.62x39.  I would like to have it barreled for .308 diameter instead of .310" so that I would have more bullets available for reloading.  I figure I could get better accuracy and tougher bullets if I were to use the gun for deer.  I would also like to be able to shoot the cheap surplus ammo for plinking and what not.  Would shooting the surplus ammo be dangerous or cause damage to the gun?  I thought I heard that it would not damage anything, but I wasn't sure.  Is the scenario I am thinking about doable?

Offline blackhawk45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Shooting .310" bullets through a .308" Barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »
What I was thinking about doing was getting another upper for my AR in 7.62x39.  I would like to have it barreled for .308 diameter instead of .310" so that I would have more bullets available for reloading.  I figure I could get better accuracy and tougher bullets if I were to use the gun for deer.  I would also like to be able to shoot the cheap surplus ammo for plinking and what not.  Would shooting the surplus ammo be dangerous or cause damage to the gun?  I thought I heard that it would not damage anything, but I wasn't sure.  Is the scenario I am thinking about doable?

ME THINKS your AR would self destruct.
Hunter, Shooter,Second Amendment Supporter,Handloader.