Author Topic: h&r ultra slug hunter vs compact (youth) model  (Read 1553 times)

Offline widowman

• Trade Count: (0)
h&r ultra slug hunter vs compact (youth) model
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:24:24 AM »
I'm considering purchasing a dedicated slug gun.  I currently have an 870 with a cantilevered barrel but would prefer to use that exclusively for turkey, small game and wing shooting.  After spending some time researching and reading post here, the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20 guage seems to be a good choice.

As most of my gun hunting take place in colder weather and wearing heavy coveralls usually increases my length of pull, I am considering the compact (youth) model.

What differences in accuracy should I expect between the USH and the compact model?

Also, there may be a possibility that I would look to add a rifle barrel for my son as he gets older.  Do I need to purchase the rifle first and then have a slug barrel fitted or the other way around?

Any info would be helpful as I am new the the H&R scene.

BTW, I'm new to this site as well, so please allow this post to also serve as my hello to the members here, it seems like a real nice site.

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: h&r ultra slug hunter vs compact (youth) model
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:33:03 AM »
a shotgun frame cannot take a rifle barrel, but a rifle frame can take a shotgun barrel, so i would get the rifle, then add the slug gun.  there will be no accuracy difference, and the compact model will be lighter, but still have the super accurate bull barrel.  good luck!
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline gary bartlow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
Re: h&r ultra slug hunter vs compact (youth) model
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 03:49:07 AM »
I switched from a 12 ga 870 with cantilever barrel to a 20 ga USH and altho I haven't hunted with it yet I can tell you i'm hooked and wont be going back to the 870 set up.I sold the 870 barrel  to put some $$$ twards another USH.
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.