Author Topic: ***SAFETY ALERT*** For Huntsman/Sidekick Owners, CRACKED Breech Plug  (Read 23110 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
I just purchased a brand new H&R Sidekick with the 5/8" breech plug. While inspecting it, like I do with all firearms purchases, I found a dangerous flaw in the breech plug. At first I thought it was a scratch, but further checking revealed the major defect in the stainless steel. This defect runs the entire length of the plug, and was obviously in the raw material used to make the plug. There is no doubt in my mind that there are others with this same flaw, at minimum the plugs produced on either side of mine in the bar stock. There is also two cracks on the external that run through the threads, but the camera (my lack of camera skills) could not pick it up.

CHECK YOUR PLUGS!

I called down to BIG GREEN'S Customer Service, after 17 minutes of the "phone game" I was able to let the representative know of this defect. He was not at all concerned with the defect, didn't even know the sizes of the breech plugs. Tried telling me that the breech plugs were 1/2" and 5/8", and all he had in stock were the 1/2" plugs. After I explained to him that they only have 5/8" and 7/8" breech plugs, he still wanted to differ, so he put me on hold until he could get a technical answer from someone who knew. He will be shipping me a new breech plug, but didn't want the cracked one back??? I guess they could care less about other peoples SAFETY! I know mine is not the only one out there, that is why I am issuing this ALERT.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with Customer Service.

I have pics, sorry they are not of better quality, but you will be able to see the MAJOR DEFECT. This is a brand new breech plug out of a brand new rifle that is capable of shooting 150 grain MAGNUM charges.

New pics of a couple of the exterior cracks, there are several.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: ***SAFETY ALERT*** For Huntsman/Sidekick Owners, CRACKED Breech Plug
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:06:01 AM »
I guess it is pretty obvious that "Big Green" couldn't care less about the product from the company that they bought out. Personally I think the Sidekick is a lot more rifle than the Genesis but that is just me. I have an old Huntsman that came used without the breechplug and ordered one from NEF. Their customer service was great; sorry they are gone. I have since added the .25ACP plug so I have a couple of plugs for the rifle now. I have checked the one I got but it was some time ago and it is fine. Thanks for the notice. Any new Sidekick owners should definately check their plugs.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 05:50:22 AM »
Thats like playing Russian Roullet if they chose to ignore this . Plus I think once they are made aware of the problem they may end up criminaly liable if the still ignore and something bad happens. Thanks for the heads up Busta glad you inspected before firing. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 05:52:14 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Busta.

You may have just saved someone's life.

Is there any way you can email these pics directly to someone at Big Green??

Spanky

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:16:27 AM »
If I was someone with actual responsibility at Remington, I would sure want to know about this. That "cs" rep would be looking for a new job. 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:37:37 AM »
If I was someone with actual responsibility at Remington, I would sure want to know about this. That "cs" rep would be looking for a new job. 

That is what scares me too! I guess I should have pressed it further, but he did put me on hold to talk to somebody. He did take down my phone # when he got my address, so I may be getting a call later? I just wanted to give everybody a heads up, can't wait on them. A lot of these same rifles were sold by Cabelas a couple months ago, and I know some here bought them. Safety comes FIRST!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »
It's possible that the crack developed when they were "proff firing" it at their range. i know from experience that they don't clean them after they test fire.  I only just now realized just how dumb thet truly is.  Never mind the severe risk of rusting the bore by leaving residue in it, whats the point of test firning it if you don't clean it up and look for damage?  If it doen's blow up the FIRST time you shoot it thats all you need?
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »
Kevin,

No, the defect was in the steel before it was machined. It is shaped like a hockey stick and runs the entire length of the plug. A blind man could have seen this crack (actually a void, just looks like a crack due to foreign material in the steel), I can't believe they dont even look at the plug before installing them.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 1/5bobcat

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 02:33:17 AM »
Thanks Busta.
I have 2 receivers there getting fitted with some barrels. Among them, each one is being fitted with a sidekick one. Received a call from CS that they were out of the blued barrels and that they were willing to give me a SS one for the same price. That receiver has been there since the beginning of June.
Will check the breach plugs when they get back home and report on it.
Thanks again....Harold. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 02:39:48 AM »
I guess it is pretty obvious that "Big Green" couldn't care less about the product from the company that they bought out. Personally I think the Sidekick is a lot more rifle than the Genesis

Insiders are saying the Genesis is history too.  I'm sure this particular Sidekick was made at the old plant.

My hope is that Remington will soon build a quality smokeless powder muzzleloader (similar to the Savage) based on the most accurate/popular rifle in the world, the Model 700.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 03:44:37 AM »
Reak action muzzleloaders are far and away the best.  While I had plenty of problems getting my Sidekick it shoots amazingly well and is far easier to clean than a bolt action platform would be.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 03:52:53 AM »
Platform that will use BH209 or smokeless doesn't really need cleaning.  I prefer my 700ML over everything else I've tried at this point.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 07:10:19 AM »
Thanks Busta.
I have 2 receivers there getting fitted with some barrels. Among them, each one is being fitted with a sidekick one. Received a call from CS that they were out of the blued barrels and that they were willing to give me a SS one for the same price. That receiver has been there since the beginning of June.
Will check the breach plugs when they get back home and report on it.
Thanks again....Harold. 

Your welcome Harold and all. I still haven't heard a thing from Remington, no surprise there though. You will be getting Huntsman barrels, and Stainless Steel barrrels are very nice. I have a 2003 Huntsman and 2004 Sidekick (unfired) with the old 7/8" breech plug. The Huntsman is my favorite muzzleloader, and it keeps pretty good company (see signature line). While the primer carriers work well for all powders except Blackhorn 209, I really like BH209. I hope you get yours soon.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
There are 2  5/8 breechplugs listed in GUN BROKER  ad # 114568586

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 07:53:10 PM »
Big Green sent me a replacement breech plug, took 7 days through USPS First-Class Mail as I requested. I appears to be in good condition, and my rifle is whole again. I still have not been contacted about the defective breech plug, so I would conclude that I won't be. Satisfied with the results, even if they don't know your first name from your last.  ::)  ;D
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »
A free replacement part for a gun they didn't produce, and were under no obligation to repair seems pretty good to me.

Offline djw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 01:31:04 AM »
A free replacement part for a gun they didn't produce, and were under no obligation to repair seems pretty good to me.

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.  They did produce it, and were under every obligation to repair it.  Plus, it just made good business sense.  They ARE H&R now, and would pay the bill if it blew up in someone's face.

Don

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 01:37:08 AM »
NEF made the gun.  Remington is under no obligation to repair it.  They are just doing the right thing.

Offline djw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »
I think we're just getting caught in semantics at this point.  Remington purchased NEF/H&R, and is therefore (probably) liable for NEF's misdeeds. If not past, then certainly future.  This was a new sidekick; even if it was manufactured faulty in the past, now that the corp knows it's faulty, they would be liable for not warranting it.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »
NEF made the gun.  Remington is under no obligation to repair it.  They are just doing the right thing.

You are wrong, nuff said! ::)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
You are wrong, nuff said! ::)

How?

NEF wouldn't repair or fit barrels to guns they didn't make.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
Two new pics added to the original post of a couple of the exterior cracks, after closer examination I found several more, some the full length of the threads, and some only a quarter inch long. You may have to take off your green colored glasses to see them though.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »
I didn't say it wasn't defective.  I said Remington fixed a gun they didn't make.

Offline fourty-five-seventy

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I didn't say it wasn't defective.  I said Remington fixed a gun they didn't make.

They fixed a gun that they didn't make because they bought out the company that made it.  In my opinion they are legally liable to fix the problem.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
I don't see why you would think that.  Ford bought Jaguar.  Do you think they are liable for safety issues in Jaguars made before they bought the company?

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 09:58:51 AM »
I don't see why you would think that.  Ford bought Jaguar.  Do you think they are liable for safety issues in Jaguars made before they bought the company?

Yes if the said Jaguar was NIB then Ford should fix it.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
That's pretty funny!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »

Swampman,

You really don't have a clue, do you? This thread was started to alert the good members of this forum to a possible safety problem with their breech plug. Go start your own thread in the Ford/Jaguar/Remington forum!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »
It seems like it was started to bash Remington.  If not, then it turned into that.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »
It seems like it was started to bash Remington.  If not, then it turned into that.

Not bashing Remington just stating my opinion on the matter

And I applaud Busta for wanting to let other members know that there may be other Sidekicks out there with 5/8" breech plugs with potential safety issues