Author Topic: ***SAFETY ALERT*** For Huntsman/Sidekick Owners, CRACKED Breech Plug  (Read 23108 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: ***SAFETY ALERT*** For Huntsman/Sidekick Owners, CRACKED Breech Plug
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »
It seems like it was started to bash Remington.  If not, then it turned into that.

Not hardly, more like the opposite, just reporting the facts as they happened. Like the 17 minutes of hold, CS Rep didn't have a clue, swithched my first and last names around on the shipping label/delivery note. My follow up stated I was satisfied, and they shipped through USPS as I requested. When I received parts (sights/ramrod) before through UPS, I had to be here to sign for them, even though there was no firearm involved. The UPS pick up is a 2 hour round trip from here, kinda defeats the purpose of shipped to your door. The mailbox is about a 100 yard round trip walk from my door.

What still shocks me is the fact they didn't want the defective plug back, even if they didn't want to inspect it. Just taking the risk of someone putting that in a muzzleloader and shooting it out of the equasion.

Make no mistake about it, I know Remington makes some great firearms, it is their Customer Service that needs work, and has for over 20 years in my experiences with them. You are wrong if you don't think Remington is responsible for the H&R/NEF rifles, this is a NIB muzzleloader w/warranty sold under their umbrella. Oh, by the way, it is not an NEF, it is a H&R, says so right on the side. ;)

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
For the record when one company buys another they buy its liabilities as well as its assets.  If Remington had just purchased H&R's patents and designs and started producing them under the Remington label then they wouldn't be responsible for defects in H&R products.  But they bought the company and have continued the brand.

Seriously Swamp, are you trying to claim Ford discontinued warrantee work on Pre-merger Jags when they bought the company?
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
this is a guy who on one forum bashes cva italian barrels and on another forum giving out load advice for them. He truly has no clue and takes offense when someone says anything about his precious remington. Busta thanks for the heads up.  I checked all mine out even the old 7/8 and mine look good. And yes remington is obligated and liable to fix it simple as that.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »
swampy I grow more and more tired of you with every post of yours I read....
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline GUNSMITH03

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
Folks, just to set everyone straight on responsibility and liability as I have been part of several company buyouts. It is all determined by the sales agreement/contract. Liability for past produced products does not always pass to the new owner. It must be specifically agreed upon by contract and yes there are financial considerations for this. I do not know the arrangement between the original Marlin owners and the Remington corporation so they may be obligated or they may not. Enough said?

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 09:54:22 AM »
Folks, just to set everyone straight on responsibility and liability as I have been part of several company buyouts. It is all determined by the sales agreement/contract. Liability for past produced products does not always pass to the new owner. It must be specifically agreed upon by contract and yes there are financial considerations for this. I do not know the arrangement between the original Marlin owners and the Remington corporation so they may be obligated or they may not. Enough said?

In theory, until the attorneys start headhunting and there is no money left from the former Marlin ownership...then someone will pay regardless of what they thought they agreed on
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
Just looking at the "cracked breach plug" I doubt it has any safety issues at all.  We need to remember that the origional Huntsman breach plug didn't even have any threads on it at all, it just pushed into the barrel and was held in by the frame.  It would be better not to have a crack, but at the worst it could allow some gasses into the threads and make it hard to take out.  Remember, there is a hole drilled through it that lets the gasses out anyway, on mine it blows the cap apart most of the time and I have to pick out the little brass shards.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.