Author Topic: 308x444 marlin  (Read 1037 times)

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
308x444 marlin
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:31:23 AM »
Any of you fellows know anything about this one?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 308x444 marlin
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
It really isn't one but many. There are several different versions of .308" rounds using the .444 Marlin case. The one with the most velocity potential is likely the .309 JDJ which blows out more of what is neck on some as powder space. Some use the .308 Winchester dies to neck it down to basically the same case volume as the .308 and .307 Winchester rounds. It looks kinda funny to me with that super long neck but if you were gonna use only cast bullets it might be a good choice.

I'm sure there are many other varieties but the JDJ is the one with the most readily available data and the largest case capacity.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Duckhunter39480

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »
I have the 308 X 444 cartridge in a T/C Contender.  I feel that this is at the top end of the Contender compatible cartridges but with the right loading it gives excellent accuracy and easily out performs the 30-30 Winchester.  My version is reloaded using small base 308 Winchester dies and it does have a longer neck than most. 

In the T/C Encore and Prohunter firearms the 30-06 Improved dies can be used to make a more powerful cartridge by fireforming to have a larger body with less taper and shorter neck. 

The principle advantage of using these instead of the JDJ versions is that the reloading dies are available as standard dies thus the cost of custom dies are avoided.  Other advantages proported to be gained by all versions is the addition of a rimmed cartridge which is supposed to be easier to extract in single shot rifles, the availability of good brass capable of high intensity loads, and the realignment of chambers, throats, etc in barrels with misaligned or "out of alignment" chambers.  In both of my barrels re-chambered for 444 based cartridges, these issues have been corrected and I am very happy with both.
You should have said something; I didn't know I had struck a nerve.

Offline iiranger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »
Ammoguide.com has a tribute to Mr. Ackley and the work he inspired. This is one of the cartridges mentioned. I believe you get a case slightly longer than the .307 WCF... and this was being done before the .307. luck