Author Topic: Rings and Base input request for Remington Mod 7  (Read 1723 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
Rings and Base input request for Remington Mod 7
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
Hello all,
First time poster ,
I recently purchased a Rem mod 7 7MM-08 , have on order a Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7x32 scope.

My dad always setup our rifles in the past and he has passed away. 
This was my first purchase since.
I am an absolute layman when it comes to rings and Base.
Was hoping you all can educate me with :
  • different types of setups out there that will work on a mod 7?. 
  • pros and cons of each setup /(specifically for a mod 7 ).

Also apart from my mod 7 questions I would also like to know anything about Rings and bases outside of the specificy mod seven questions so I will know more in the future. Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Note: just found this site ..spent the whole day reading , I was very impressed at the courtesy all posters give each other even when disagreeing with each and other viewpoints. Great site!!!!!
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Rings and Base input request for Remington Mod 7
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »
 #1 Talley Lightweight onepiece rings. They're light and very easy to install. The ring base is the lower half of the rings.

#2 Warne bases and Burris Zee rings. The Signature Zee rings have a little more effort to them but are about as fool proof as it gets.

#3 Weaver bases and Burris Zee rings. Weaver bases aren't as strong as Warne but are lighter.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »
I have Talley and Leupold/Redfield types.  Both are fine.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »
The burris signature Z rings are very good with any of the Weaver style bases.  The standard Z ring works great, they come in lots of heigths from super low to high, the signature Z ring has a plastic bushing in it which lets it align to the scope so you will not get any ring marks or have to lap the rings, they also have an offset bushing set that will let you get the scope nearly dead on without any movement of the scope adjusting screws, it will also let you set the scope up to shoot at very long ranges by imitating a tapered scope base for long range shooting.  Good luck.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »
I have always been a Leupold base and rings man but i have a one piece set of Ded Nutz that i really like and seen seem to be rock solid.I put them on my new model 70 and it,s a nice setup.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
You can't go wrong with one-piece base mounts from Dednutz.com.  Dednutz isn't as well known as some of the others mentioned here, but the guy who makes those mounts knows his stuff. 

While there is nothing wrong with going with two-piece bases, I have always figured that the least amount of parts that you play with, the less there is to go wrong, plus I believe there is more rigidity with one piece mounts. 

As long as the one piece mount doesn't interfer with the ejection port, they can be superior, IMO.   What you have to decide is whether any benefits of a one-piece mount justifies the higher price.

If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »
The aluminum base (scope rail) seems good to me, but the rings I really want to be steel, add that to the limited heigth options of the one piece ring/base mounts just counts them out for me.  They may be real nice on a RF or some light use rifle if the height avaliable works out for you.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
Conetrol one piece base, Controllllllllllll rings

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 05:50:41 AM »
If your Model Seven is one of the newer ones with four holes (two front and two rear) then you will need Weaver 421 and 35 bases for it. If it's the older type with three holes only (two front and one rear) you'll have to use a one piece base.

On all of my newer ones I use the Weaver bases #421 and #35 and Burris Signature Zee Rings. It's what I use and what I recommend to others.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Explorer1

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:42:30 AM »
I'd venture to say the relatively mild recoil of a 7-08 and the modest size of that scope do not mandate any of the high dollar setups - such as dual dovetail rings or the tactical stuff.  After that, it becomes a preference of what is available.

The dovetail type are a little cleaner in appearance to most of us, the Weaver type system offers more versitility for positioning rings - positioning can be a problem but is not a common problem.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
Greybeard you mentioned "On all of my newer ones I use the Weaver bases #421 and #35 and Burris Signature Zee Rings. It's what I use and what I recommend to others."

Question ?

Will Leupold QRW rings work Weaver #421 and #35 bases ?
if not can you or any other poster provide recommendations for a two piece base system that can utilize quick release rings
for a mod seven ?
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »
No clue. I use nothing but Burris rings almost always Signature rings. How quick do you need them to be removed? Why the heck ya wanna take them off anyway?

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 03:00:23 AM »
Whilst not directed to me I will answer  ;)

I really like QR or Take down mounts and have most of my rifles with them from cheap systems and types to the expensive Apel mounts. The advantages to me are easier rifle cleaning witht he scope removed and when travelling especially if not by my own car then the scope can be carried safely be carried on ones person. Using Air line travel this is essential as far as I am concerned  ;)

Then there is the old reason of being able to use the iron sights should that be required for any reason. I also try to sight in the irons to the load I am using Just In Case  ;) The Weaver sytem although it look dawn right homely works for this as does the old parker-Hale rings and bases. I am not enamoured with them though but at present am stuck with them for some old BSA sporting rifles I have until I can coem up with a suitable alternative. The Millet rings are pretty awful, have tried a set on a 1st pattern Monarch in 270 win and the scope moves forward no matter how tight you get them  ::) Guess I need to try some Lynx rings and see if they work  :(

Hilver made some bases to take the Tikka (type) rings and Ernst Apel makes roll off which also return to zero as well as their EAWswing mounts  :) The Leupold QR lever mounts I have on a P-H 1200 Super work OK but require much fitting (the bases did not get anywhere near the contour of the action unlike the Apel rill offs I have on another P-H rifle) and the bases are too high to allow the irons to be used so I doubt I will bother with them again.

I also like steel mounts which are much better in my opinion than alloy ones and if possible mounts with windage adjustment so I can center the scope especially the older ones which are moving reticle and not image moving.

Now in answer to this :-

Will Leupold QRW rings work Weaver #421 and #35 bases ?
if not can you or any other poster provide recommendations for a two piece base system that can utilize quick release rings
for a mod seven ?   

As I said the Leupold lever operated mounts have very high bases so check if this will work for you the ones I have use a cam on a pin to lock them and will only fit the special Leupold bases but I understand leupold do make a lever Op weaver type ring but I ahve never seen the personally or used them I think they call them the QRW?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:15 AM »
I've been using scopes on my rifles for about 50 years now. Not once have I ever needed to remove a scope and use irons. In fact most of my rifles don't even have any iron sights on them either they were bought barel barrel with no provision for them or they were taken off if the rifle came with them.

I guess some of you guys are either a lot rougher on your rifles than I am or you have no confidence in the scopes you buy. I travel with mine in proper protective cases such that if you tossed it as far as you could or as hard as you could against a wall no damage would occur. They are fully padded in excellent foam and held in place by either velcro fasteners or tie straps depending on which case is used.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline scootrd

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 01:52:49 PM »
I do not like Leupold's QRW base as it is only offered in a 1 piece for the mod 7, it appears to only Have 3 screw holes (2 back , one front) Also I think a 1 piece base is not attractive on a small mod 7 .  At present Leupold does not appear to offer a QRW 2 piece base for a mod 7.

So , this is the set up I was looking at using for my Mod 7,
Weaver 421 and 35 bases (Greybeard's strong suggestion from experience with mod 7's)
Leupold QRW (Quick release Weaver style rings) because I do intend to be removing the scope periodically).

Does anyone know if Leupold weaver style rings and Weaver bases are compatible?.

Offline Mr. Joe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »
Aside from the built in types (ruger, sako)  I have the best luck with Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. 
I am not afraid to make an example out of you

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
Aside from the built in types (ruger, sako)  I have the best luck with Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. 

That's kinda immaterial in this case. He is asking about a rifle for which neither Leupold nor Burris make a dual dovetail base. However I do agree that for rifles for which they are made they are my favorite scope mounting system.

On the question of will they work with Weaver bases if they are made to fit Weaver type bases they should as all Weaver type bases at least in theory take the same rings.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 12:31:11 AM »
Hmmm it seems tha cyber gremlins are at work as a reply has gotten lost in cyberspace  ???

The W in QRW means Weaver and so they are made to fit Weaver rings. But to total piece of mind I suggest you contact Leupold and ask them.

Now Graybeard in answer to your reply, I am not hard on my rifles or scopes and as yet have never "Had" to remove a scope but the means to do so is an insurance just in case it should ever happen. If you could see tha damage that the baggage handlers inflicted upon my then new Winchester alloy and composite rifle case carrying my scope in my hand luggage was a good idea  ;). It just seems logical to have a back up when far enough away from home to make returning for replacement stuff impractical.

As to scopes failing well I have have had two. The first was a brand new Nikko Sterling Silver Crown 3-9x40 fitted to my newly acquired BSA CF2 270 Win rifle. This was my first full bore rifle and it shook that scope apart in about 60 shots. #2 is an old Nikko Sterling 4x32 Special Japanes made scope from the 1960's that has something lose inside, it rattles, Nikko Sterling are not interested as it's too old so it lies ina drawer until I can find someone to repair it. Optically is quite good and it came to me on a sporterised Lee Enfield No1 Mk111.

As for iron sight use, well this I one field in which I need to improve  :-[ and as I have several classic sportign rifles with irons or express sights that i would liek to take afield hunting I will have to get some serious practice in with them.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 07:50:38 AM »
Well I contacted Leupold as suggested , spoke with a very nice technical support lady , The answer is IF the Weaver 421 and 35 bases are steel then the Leupold QRW steel rings should be fine.  If they are not , I believe I may have found one other possible solution. Weaver offers a '08 2 piece Grand slam bases (S430 S460 ) which I believe the "s" stands for Steel(At least that is what Leupold mentioned to me )  and I believe they are compatible with the new Remington mod 7. Greybeard can you confirm if the Weaver 421 and 35 are Steel bases?

If this is the case I may go with a whole Weaver setup:
S430 S460 bases (which I believe are steel??)
Weaver Grand Slam Lever-LOK  steel rings. 
(Only possible issue here is the Lever - LOK's  do not offer low Rings , only medium).
Leupold QRW's do offer Low Rings.   

Does anyone have any real-life experience using the Weavers Grand Slam Lever-Loks?

side note:
The Leupold also acknowledges the limited Leupold base selection available with regards to a Rem model 7.
She thought my suggestion to incorporate into the line a 2 piece QRW style base for the mod 7
was a good suggestion and is going to pass it along as a formal suggestion.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
They ARE NOT steel and to the best of my knowledge NONE of the Weaver steel bases are made to work with the new Model Seven. At least no chart on Weaver bases I've ever seen list any number of any steel base I've seen marked as for the Model Seven.

There are really not a lot of choices for the Model Seven new or old. You really gotta use what's out there or don't buy a Model Seven it's really that simple. Me I'm perfectly happy with the Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zee rings.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »
Hmmm now Graybeard that's a surprise  :o how long has the Model 7 been in production? you would have thought that at least some one would make steel mounts to fit it by now  ??? or does this mean that they don't sell as many as some folks think? I know the Model 7 is lighter but the difference in weight between a set of steel bases and alloy bases is not enough to notice to anyone  ::).

Offline scootrd

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »
Greybeard is correct Weaver does not make Steel bases for the older mod 7's (3 hole) .
However , it appears that Leupold folks were also correct ,
Weaver does now make Grand Slam steel bases for the new (4 hole) mod 7's which is what I have . 
I was able to download the new 2008 weaver mounts .pdf last night.
And they do appear to be the S430, and S460  she mentioned to me.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 02:00:24 AM »
Good deal I had not seen that latest Weaver chart. In the latest one I've seen previously they were not listed.

Hmmm now Graybeard that's a surprise   how long has the Model 7 been in production?

For 25 years give or take a few months. In or about '99 they changed it tho from a 3 hole to 4 hole mount system. Prior to that there was but one hole at the rear and only one piece bases worked on them. Now you can use two piece bases which I personally much prefer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline scootrd

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 02:08:49 AM »
Since my last post , I received this followup email from Leupold

Leupold Customer Service
Product Specialist Group
Phone (503) 526-1400
Reference Call #

Caller:  -   xxxxxxx
Phone:
Summary: scope mounts

You may want to contact Warne at www.warnescopemounts.com. They make the
same base as our QRW two-piece system. They may have one for the Model

Garth
Support CallID: %#%edefe174-cc00-4090-8dd1-83e40eeb64ae%#%

Got to appreciate a company that is not afraid to recommend other Manufacturers.. Says alot to their credibility to put customer needs first!!!! 

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
I suggest Leupold standard two or one piece base and standard rings.
-You can adjust the rear base screws for windage adjustment.

You can also use the Leupold #53570 one piece 3 hole Dual Dovetail base made for the Remington XP-100 pistol.
- Look it up using: http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp

I use the dual dovetail base and rings when I can, other than that I use the standard rings and base, with no problems if used correctly.

yooper77

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:57:40 AM »
Sorry yooper but the OP wants a take off QR system and what your suggesting does not return to zero.

Thank you Graybeard, I didn't know when the Model 7 came out nor what type of mounts it was meant for, never having seen one let alone handled one.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »
Brithunter, I wasn't concerned with a QR system request since he stated "I am an absolute layman when it comes to rings and Base".  I was simply making my suggestion.

I feel QR system are a waste, because I never intend to take off a scope that has been sighted in for the rifle.

If your scope fails, then your hunt is over, I always bring back up rifles just in case.

yooper77

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Sorry yooper but the OP wants a take off QR system and what your suggesting does not return to zero.

Thank you Graybeard, I didn't know when the Model 7 came out nor what type of mounts it was meant for, never having seen one let alone handled one.

This year is the 25th Anniversary for the Model Seven and they have put out a beautiful special anniversary edition rifle in 7-08 as it too was introduced the same year. I have one of the originals and also the 25th Anniversary edition both in 7-08. My original is now my wife's gun cut to her short stock requirements.

Brithunter, I wasn't concerned with a QR system request since he stated "I am an absolute layman when it comes to rings and Base".  I was simply making my suggestion.

I feel QR system are a waste, because I never intend to take off a scope that has been sighted in for the rifle.

If your scope fails, then your hunt is over, I always bring back up rifles just in case.

While I fully share your sentiments in the matter it isn't what the OP asked for. Even if we think he is wrong the decision ultimately is his to make.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline scootrd

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 03:14:51 AM »
HMM .. so when my scope fails .. my hunt is over ??  Unless I have a Backup rifle??

I think I would rather -

1. Re-attach less expensive scope I brought along as back-up
(already pre zero'd to my Mod 7 as well using the QRW rings).
or
2.  Detach my scope setup with QRW rings and hunt with Iron sights 
(which my mod 7 does not have.) .
or
I guess as yooper suggests there is a third option.

3. I can Lug an additional rifle with scope all the way out to Idaho this year when I
hunt with my Brother in Law Rather than just carry an additional pre-zeroed 10.6 oz scope, or
have to rely on his charity while there if something should happen and use his .270  as a backup.

Hmm..
Given those choices I'll take number #1. and try to remain self-sufficient.

if one hasn't tried a particular product , perhaps they should , before passing judgement.
Open mindedness - wow  - there's a concept.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 03:40:27 AM »
HMM .. so when my scope fails .. my hunt is over ??  Unless I have a Backup rifle??

I think I would rather -

1. Re-attach less expensive scope I brought along as back-up
(already pre zero'd to my Mod 7 as well using the QRW rings).
or
2.  Detach my scope setup with QRW rings and hunt with Iron sights 
(which my mod 7 does not have.) .
or
I guess as yooper suggests there is a third option.

3. I can Lug an additional rifle with scope all the way out to Idaho this year when I
hunt with my Brother in Law Rather than just carry an additional pre-zeroed 10.6 oz scope, or
have to rely on his charity while there if something should happen and use his .270
while out there.  

Given those choices I'll take number #2. and try to remain self-sufficient.

if you haven't tried a particular product , perhaps one should , before passing judgement.
Open mindedness - wow  - there's a concept.

Well your rifle or scope or both could fail or be damaged in transport, who knows.  All I know is I carry 2 back up rifles with scope for all my hunts and I will never have to worry about being not prepared.

Use or take whatever option you feel will serve you well and still have a successful hunt.

yooper77