Author Topic: Government bailout for Chrysler  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Preacherman

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Contributor
Government bailout for Chrysler
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »
Instead of the government giving Chrysler millions to help them out why not let the government buy us a new car or truck from them.It would benefit us and them.
Preacherman
Acts10:13

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Government bailout for Chrysler
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:44:04 PM »
As far as I know, Chrysler isn't asking for any Bail-out money from the Gov't.

Cerberus Capital Management has its claws in Chrysler/Jeep at the moment, and also has Remington under its cloak of many properties, plus Cerberus is currently fending off a merger of Chrysler with General Motors.  So far, Cerberus has said it has other plans for Chrysler.  Should Cerberus decide to allow Chrysler to merge with GM, then you may have problems since GM has big money problems right now, and is probably wanting to buy out other brands and competition, and they want Chrysler so it makes GM too big to let fail, just like the current Big Bank fiasco. 

It was reported that the Gov't endowed both GM and Ford with $25 Billion each to get them over the rough Economy.  I have heard nothing about whether Chrysler got financial help or not.  I am sure Cerberus would like that move, but I don't think it will happen.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 05:52:22 AM »
Chrysler has been bailed out once before. Once is enough for any company.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline maximus

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 05:55:38 AM »
Hey What ever happen to just talking hunting I miss that.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 05:57:20 AM »
Check the forum you are reading. This one has nothing to do with hunting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline maximus

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »
I know, just kidding, but this is my escape from the polictical commercials and public opinions. 

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »

I don't know exactly how many different Forums there are here in GBO, my guess is about 120 and at least 30 of them would pertain directly to hunting.  Even though it appears that just about any hunting subject may have a home on this website I would not mind a few hunting (or any other subject) questions or comments in here.

Chrysler has been bailed out once before. Once is enough for any company.

Had the Gov't not bailed out Chrysler once before maybe there wouldn't be such a movement to pull the Banks butts out of the Fire now.

I am hearing that the Corporate logic behind a merger between GM and Chrysler would make GM  'too big to allow to fail'  without extreme financial hardship on the rest of the economy.

One other side-note on the current economic woes...

We all know the Congress vote in favor and the President signed a bail-out bill for Financial Institutions, but I was wondering if everyone realizes where exactly this money is going?

This past weeks news reports say that the Banks are putting the some money aside so they can build up a warchest in order to make Acquisitions down the road, and another financial report said that out of $125 Billion that the Fed released to those Financial Institutions, $108 Billion has already been allocated for Executive Compensation and Bonuses.  Any future release after the first of the year will also take care of next years Executives.  Maybe this is why GM wants in.

I suppose most people thought the Banks were getting the money so they could make loans to the public again and possibly bailout the bad mortgages. 

Think again.

If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
I honestly don't know how many forums we have either but I'm sure it's closer to 200 than to 120. Not all are visible to everyone. Some are sub-forums. Heck counting them all might reveal more than 200 for all I know.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »

:(How about this .If things don't change for the better soon a bunch of us are going to be hunting for a job. Hunting for something to eat and hunting for a place to live. :(

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »
big difference crysler paid it all back in record time.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 02:28:02 AM »
The original Chrysler deal involved no government funds. The federal government guaranteed the private loans they received. Since the loans were paid back, it cost the taxpayers nothing.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 05:38:42 AM »
Instead of the government giving Chrysler millions to help them out why not let the government buy us a new car or truck from them.It would benefit us and them.
Preacherman
Take it a step further.  The government buys a million cars at $25,000 each (equals the $25 billion).  Then the government gets in the lottery business (everyone else seems to) selling 1,000 tickets at $50 per ticket for each vehicle.  If I didn't screw up a decimal place or two, that should double the government's money and a 1 in 1,000 chance at a new car isn't bad odds.  Of course, tax, title and fees are extra  ;)  I did not figure a cost for the government overhead to run the program, so they would probably lose money.  You are probably right, just buy the cars and give them to us.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 05:46:57 AM »
What happens for the people that bought the good deal $2.99 per gallon a gas for 3 years plan?

Do these people get something extra?

yooper77

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 05:53:16 AM »
When they offered that plan, I thought what happens when the price falls.  Last night I paid $1.96 in Central IL.  I saw it for $1.92 on the way to work this morning.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline maryjstar89

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind a new car from Chrysler. What's up with all these bailouts?? They must be not keeping track of their money right...

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:53:18 PM »
Sure wish I could run my household like the gooberment runs it's.  With the new "regime" approaching and some folks "expecting" free housing, free food (stamps), free money (welfare), now a free car, free gas, and a job...what?  With all of that free stuff, what do they need a job for anyway?

Executive bonuses...HA!  Corporations that are not failing will continue to pay their top executives the fruit of the labor of the employees (or the more politically correct "Associates").  It astounds me that the people who go into the marketplace to find the work for the "associates" to produce are compensated much greater than the associates that get the work done in a manor that allows the Marketers to continue to seek new work.  There is no trickle down. 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »
Regarding the Gov. bailout previously of Chrysler, was that not unfair competition to Ford and GM.  If Chrysler had been allowed to fail, which is what should happen in a free market, then Ford and GM may have picked up market share.

In fairness, if they are going to give money to one corp. why not give the same amount to all?  If they are going to "assist" one class of people, why not me too?  Instead they take mine and give it to my neighbor who doesn't work as hard to advance himself as I have.......
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)