Author Topic: need some automobile help  (Read 516 times)

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
need some automobile help
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »
2001 Ford Taurus. Car started missing check engine light came on, code read bank 1 and bank 2 lean. Mechanic found a vaccum leak in the pcv valve hose. Repaired, and the car now shows no fault codes. My wife says it has tried to stall on her several times since the repair. I have driven it and can not get it to stall. Starts good and runs smooth. It is burning more gas than normal, but can not really smell it in the exhaust. It goes back to the shop Monday. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: need some automobile help
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
Ah... it's a Ford.   ;D

Found On Road Dead.

Fix Or Repair Daily.

F'd Over, Rebuilt Dodge.

Just teasing.  I once owned a Toyota Camery  that developed a very peculiar habit of just flat out shutting off in the middle of intersections once the engine reached normal operating temperature on damp (not even necessarily rainy) mornings if you just got in it and tried to drive it.  Even after several trips to the dealer, several replaced electronic parts and wiring harnesses, and even phone calls to Toyota's Technical Training School out in California no one could cure it's ills.  We did determine however that it would run just fine if my wife would take it for a short trip around the block, park it before it reached normal engine temperature, came back in the house and had breakfast, then got back in it and drove t to work with no stalling.   

The rest of the time the car ran fine.  One fine, sunny, dry day we took that POS down to the Isuzu dealer and traded it in for a Rodeo.  End of our problem.  I always wounder how the Isuzu dealer made out with it.  ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »
Could be the automatic choke sticking. Plugs may need changing and plug wires. I'm just guessing here butthat would be a good start.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 02:56:14 AM »
Need to run a diognastic again. In order for the light to stay on the problem has to happen for a good bit.How many miles? Bad fuel filter does not make it use more fuel. If no code is found it is something non computer related. Plugs wires etc. Relly need more info. I'm sure it is something minor

Troy
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline boondocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »
Chances are with bank 1 and or bank 2 lean means 1 0r more oxygen sensors are bad. If he cleared the history codes it can still run lean but the codes will be back after so many ignition cycles. 02 sensors wont kill the car but they make the milage suck as they tell the pcm to add or subtract fuel from being injected. Better engine life when all is working well.  Steve

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »
that can be an EGR code as well, as is the gas consumption without smelling it.

have them check that...

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:25:47 AM »
In most cases, a computer wont throw a code unless a warning light comes on.  With higher than normal gas consumption, you may have a problem w/ a fuel filter or even some bad fuel...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline gdolby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:13:27 AM »
GOOD DAY TO ALL, IF THERE IS A LOSS OF POWER DO A SERIOUS CHECK ON YOUR CATALYTIC CONVERTER. hAD A VIHICLE IN THE PAST WITH ALMOST SAME SYMPTOMS. DID A TRIM JOB AND GOT OVER 200,000 AND THEN TRADED IT OFF

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 07:25:10 AM »
Did they do a throttle body service?  Carbon will build up on the inside of the throttle body causing the throttle plate to close a different amount each time.  This will affect the idle.  the computer will try to make up for the difference in air flow and adjust the idle, but it can't always do it so the engine will stall.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson