Author Topic: Cast bullet loads for semi auto  (Read 1780 times)

Offline blackpowderbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cast bullet loads for semi auto
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:59:22 PM »
Does anybody out there have any recipies for cast bullet loads for the .308 Win that will function the gas system of an FN FAL?
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: Cast bullet loads for semi auto
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:12:41 AM »
 Cast bullets will shoot fine in gas guns and if loaded correctly they do not "clog the gas port".  I have shot thousands of cast bullets through several .308/7.62 NATO gas guns inluding the FN FAL without a single problem.  I found the 311299 works very well (heavier bullets will have a higher gasport pressure at lower velocity givng reliable functioning and good accuracy. I load it over 28 gr of 4895 with a 3/4 gr dacron filler. I also use Javelina lube. Velocity will be about 1800-1900 fps.  If your FN FAL has a gas adjustment (most do) start with it adjusted to function with M80 ball.  If it fails to function turn adjust the gas adjustment until reliable function is attained.  Quite simple to do actually.  The Lyman 311466 is also a good bullet and can be driven to 2200-2400 fps with M80 accuracy.  Bullets should be cast of an alloy of a minimum BHN of 16. Gas checks are a must. 

Larry Gibson

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »
  what Larry said, but a Lyman#2 alloy(BHN15) works well also! Bullet to bore fit is MOST important to prevent leading, then a good lube is 2nd.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:00:56 AM »
no experienc in gas opperated rifles but thats going to change in a week or so when i get my 50 beowulf. My buddy did some expermenting with his desert eagle which is a gas operated pistol. His was a 50ae. He shot over 2000 through that gun using cast bullets and it never once malfuntioned. The gas port did not plug. He theroy was a hard bullet 5050 ww/lino or straingt lino for two reasons one there less likely to lead foul and also there less likely to be damaged going inot the chamber. The also used only gas checked bullets and lubed with one of those useless hard lubes Figured that lube fouling was what would plug the tube no lead and figured hard lube is so useless that it about allways stays on the bullet so it isnt likely to foul. ive got a coffee can full of pretty shinny linotype 420 lfngc .501s casted up and sized and lubed using  hard lube ready to go for it. I figure one of those at about 1500 fps would take care of anything that walks on earth!
blue lives matter

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 02:00:50 AM »
Cast bullets are all I shoot through my Garand. They work fine, and as the other post said just go to a fairly heavy bullet and slower than normal powder to get the port pressure up to cycle the action. On an FAL it shouldn't be any problem since it's adjustable.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:25:45 AM »
I had a cetme and in it a 180 cast with 22 grains of aa9 ran fine. I dont know if its a legit load as i just kind of figured it out on my own. If you dont have aa9 id try about the same with 2400. 2400 might even be a better powder to do it. It lights off easier when low pressures like these are used.
blue lives matter

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:09 AM »
Thanks guys. I am heading to my reloading room to see what molds I have.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 02:36:18 PM »
no experienc in gas opperated rifles but thats going to change in a week or so when i get my 50 beowulf. My buddy did some expermenting with his desert eagle which is a gas operated pistol. His was a 50ae. He shot over 2000 through that gun using cast bullets and it never once malfuntioned. The gas port did not plug. He theroy was a hard bullet 5050 ww/lino or straingt lino for two reasons one there less likely to lead foul and also there less likely to be damaged going inot the chamber. The also used only gas checked bullets and lubed with one of those useless hard lubes Figured that lube fouling was what would plug the tube no lead and figured hard lube is so useless that it about allways stays on the bullet so it isnt likely to foul. ive got a coffee can full of pretty shinny linotype 420 lfngc .501s casted up and sized and lubed using  hard lube ready to go for it. I figure one of those at about 1500 fps would take care of anything that walks on earth!

My gun shop is getting me a price for a beowulf also.  I was hoping that I could use cast in it.  I will probably have veral cut me a mold in the 400-450 gr. range.  From what I hear, it will probably take a couple of months for the gun to come in so I will be watching for your results until then.

Chris

Offline melchior

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »
Cast bullets are all I shoot through my Garand. They work fine, and as the other post said just go to a fairly heavy bullet and slower than normal powder to get the port pressure up to cycle the action. On an FAL it shouldn't be any problem since it's adjustable.

Would you mind sharing what bullet weights and powders. My Garand would likely get a lot more usage if I could use cast bullets.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »
Bullets in the 180-200 gr. range, powders such as AA3100, IMR 4831 and similar work well. Work up until it will cycle the action, usually around 1900-2100 fps. Of course at these speeds bullets are hardened and gaschecked.

You may be able to get 4895 to work, depending on the condition of your barrel but often you'll exceed a usable velocity before you get it to cycle.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »
A 200 gr Lyman 311299 (cast of WQ'd WWs + 2% tin) sized .311 with Hornady GCs and Javelina lube over 30 - 32 gr 4895 with a 3/4 gr dacron filler always gives good accuracy and functioning in M1s. If the bore is worn try 314299 (sized .312 or .314). Velocity is in the 1900 fps range and functioning is positive. This is also a good load for most all M1903s.

Larry Gibson

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:27:22 AM »
shot the buddys the other day. I forgot the exact load now but it was with 1680 and a cast 420 lfngc. Bullet was out of a ballistic cast mold. I cast it out of straight linotype and lubed it with a medium lube. Not a hard lube but harder then javalina. Sized to 501. The load shot two 5 shot groups at a 100 yards with a 9x scope. First went 1 1/4 second went 1 1/8 velocity was just under 1600 fps. In other works one hell of a powerful and accurate cast bullet load for that gun that could take any game animal in the world! We shot about 30 more at targets and cans and after 40 rounds the barrel was whistle clean.

My gun shop is getting me a price for a beowulf also.  I was hoping that I could use cast in it.  I will probably have veral cut me a mold in the 400-450 gr. range.  From what I hear, it will probably take a couple of months for the gun to come in so I will be watching for your results until then.

Chris
blue lives matter

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »
shot the buddys the other day. I forgot the exact load now but it was with 1680 and a cast 420 lfngc. Bullet was out of a ballistic cast mold. I cast it out of straight linotype and lubed it with a medium lube. Not a hard lube but harder then javalina. Sized to 501. The load shot two 5 shot groups at a 100 yards with a 9x scope. First went 1 1/4 second went 1 1/8 velocity was just under 1600 fps. In other works one hell of a powerful and accurate cast bullet load for that gun that could take any game animal in the world! We shot about 30 more at targets and cans and after 40 rounds the barrel was whistle clean.

Sounds about perfect.  I can't wait.

Chris