Author Topic: Tracker II sights shoot way too low  (Read 926 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Tracker II sights shoot way too low
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:45:29 PM »
Finally had a chance to shoot the Tracker II barrel today that I got fitted to my Pardner.  No matter how far I raised the rear sight I couldn't get closer than 8' low at 50 yards.  No problem with windage and grouips were so tight I had to use a spotting scope to tell the holes apart, but had to aim at top of the target frame (not the circle the cardboard the paper was stapled to) to hit the bullseye.  If the front sight was about a quarter inch lower I think I'd be golden. Only thing I can figure to do is try to file down the front sight, unless someone knows how I might replace it.

Also got way better groups from rifled slugs (Remington Sluggers) than from the four times as expensive Hornady SST's.

PS - with the walnut stocks with crescent buttplate on it this thing kicks like an angry mule, even with 19 ounces of lead shot in the stock hole.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Tracker II sights shoot way too low
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:40:44 PM »
I had my 20 gauge drilled and tapped.
It has a Simmons 4x on it right now and it shoots great

Mine shoots the Sluggers real good too. 3 shots into a baseball sized group at 50 yds.

I put a grind to fit Limbsaver on mine and it's great.
You could get a slip on for 20 bucks from Wally World to save money and they work good too.

Spanky

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
I find that interesting. I sighted my 20 GA. Tracker II barrel in over the weekend also. I had to start at 25 yrds to hit anything, about 12" low at that distance. Backed up to 50 yrds and gave the rear sight 2 clicks and I was on the paper, 2 more clicks and vertical was right on. Windage or horizontal was a different story, I am all the way to the left on adjustment, it does hit where you aim, just looks funny. I do not care for the monster of a front sight, but I suppose this was not meant to be a precision sighting device. Quick might be able to tell you if they make more than one front sight for the Tracker II.

I shot about 25 rounds of Rem. slugggers and Winchester silver box (cheap). I did get the last 3 sluggers down to 2 1/2", probably my eyesight more than the gun or ammo. I did do a mild cleaning half way through the shooting session. I have now spent almost 4 hrs. trying to get the lead that was smooshed onto the lands cleaned out. I have soaked it several times with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, even over night. I have it about 90% clean. Don't know if I will shoot the cheapy's again or not.

Good luck with yours, JamesIII

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »
Sorry Kevin, I'm not familiar with the Tracker II front sight other than it sounds like it just needs a shorter one, H&R Gardner had sort of a bad reputation for installing the wrong front sights on their rifles far too often, sounds like Ilion has the same problem.  :-\ I think I'd be trying one of the Williams shotgun shortys on it with an appropriate Firesight insert.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »
I sent away for a 20 gauge slug barrel for my Pardner. When I got it, apparently the V notch, or whatever they use, was missing.
It's just two piecesThe top piece is a sliding ramp used for elevation. So I installed a regular bolt (as in "nuts and bolts") on
the ramp and made a peep sight out of it. For now, I'm holding it in place with duct tape. I plan to have a gunsmith fix it permanent.
It's amazing simple, and looks like one of those old-time penny arcade sights where you shoot those floating rubber ducks. But it works very well.
I hit a dead center bulls eye at about 15 yards, from a benchrest. The next shot, at 25 yards was just 1/4 inche outside the bulls eye.
I didn't shoot a lot of rounds since sabots are so expensive. But so far this slug gun rocks. I plan to put a scope on it next year. I am using it this year as a backup deer gun during we weather.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03:26 AM »
How would I get the current front sight off Quick?

It's either on with some type of epoxy or welded, there are no screws.

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 12:38:54 AM »
I got my barrel out and you are correct, it is either epoxied or welded. I will measure the height of mine tonite and post it. Make sure your rear sight is actually moving when adjusting. JamesIII

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:04:57 AM »
Might sight slides up when you loosen a screw, I've moved it quite a bit.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:22:05 AM »
If it's epoxied on, you may be able to heat or freeze the barrel and knock the front sight right off. It may be silver soldered on too, heat will remove that, but as I said, I'm not familiar with the Tracker II, so maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.  ;)

Tim

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »
From looking at pictres on the web I've gotten the impression all Trackers don't have the same sights so here are pics of mine.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »
Looks like a Williams WGOS to me, if it is, it should be marked Williams on the left side of the base.

Brownell's has a "Handi" sight calculator to figure out what height front sight you need. Another option if it is a Williams sight would be to install a taller blade in the rear sight.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26041&title=WGOS/WDOS%20BLADES

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
Kevin, I think Tim is correct. My rear sight looks different than your picture. Mine has an adjustment screw that must pivot the sight up and down on a roll pin. My front sight is .394" tall. I measured the total barrel and sight then subtracted the barrel measurement. Good luck.  JamesIII

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »
James, that would be the old style proprietary sight that H&R has used in the past, they had a couple different version, both had a roll pin pivot in the end of the elevator, there was usually a single screw under it (on rifles)for removal after you remove the roll pin.

Tim

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
Tim, that is the style of sight I have on my barrel. Nice pictures. How did we ever get along without these computers. JamesIII

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »
That's the same sight I have on my Tracker I's.  There is no screw under the elevator.  They are soldered or epoxied on.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline michael c

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »
James, that would be the old style proprietary sight that H&R has used in the past, they had a couple different version, both had a roll pin pivot in the end of the elevator, there was usually a single screw under it (on rifles)for removal after you remove the roll pin.

Tim

I've got the same sight as the one in your picture on my Tracker II.  Does anyone make better (peep or fiberoptic) sights that fit this?  And did they solder or epoxy the front sight on?  By the way, I had to order a Ruger blade to replace the one that was missing from the rear sight of my Tracker.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »
See the Peep and Firesights link in the FAQs and Help sticky, the Williams Shotgun Shorty ramps should work when epoxied on, the Williams WGRS fits the contour of the barrel swell and could also be epoxied on. Some have even used Loctite Black Max 380 to mount  sights on the shotgun barrels.

Tim

Offline michael c

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 02:04:41 AM »
thanks!

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 02:27:59 PM »
May have the answer.  Compared the original stock to the straight walnut.  The straight stock puts my eye about 1/2" lower than the standard.  Refinished the original stock and have ordered a recoil pad.  Hope it will make the difference.