Author Topic: buckshot  (Read 1114 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
buckshot
« on: November 02, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »
Which is better size buckshot is better for self defence #4 or #1
Zacharoo

Offline kevthebassman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: buckshot
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »
I don't think that there's really a wrong size of buckshot for self defense.  I stock what I find, mostly 00 but I have some #4 too.  At self defense distances, I think a centered hit from any size buckshot will be a 100% man-stopper.  At longer distances I think that the denser pattern of smaller buckshot like #4 will give you better odds of putting lead on target.  You won't get as much penetration, but I think what you gain in pattern makes up for what you give up in penetration.

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:53:20 AM »
Thanks I was wondering about November the 5th. At the street or the house!!!!!!!!!
Zacharoo

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:21:52 AM »
Several tests have been done over the years to balance penetration vs pellet count on buckshot loads and more than one study has shown that #1 buck to be the best balance of the buckshot loads.   

After reading the report I bought some #1 buck and patterned it - my mossy 500 loves it and throws a nice pattern out to 30 yds.    This is the only load I keep for SD anymore.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »
My choice was always #4.  We used either 00 buck or #4 buck in southeast Asia and it worked very, very well. 

For Nov 5 - either will work very well in any setting.  For Nov 5th, for me, a battery of firearms including a scoped semi-auto and shotgun is preferable.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:26:53 AM »
Where we hunted for years was buckshot only . 000-#4 will kill deer , the larger shot will do so at a greater distance ( NO BIG NEWS THERE ) . What we did find was ways to keep the pattern tight . There are gun smiths in the area that can give you patters that are unbelieveable ( AND TO TIGHT TO HUNT WITH ) . I have one bbl. for a rem 870 that you can cover a load of 000 buck with a ball hat at 35 yards .
So true you can improve pattern with shot size also true you can do so more with choke tube selection in many cases . Also some forcing cone work may help . Just switching from lead to copper plated often closes a pattern .
Just some ideas !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:05:40 AM »
I have one bbl. for a rem 870 that you can cover a load of 000 buck with a ball hat at 35 yards .
So what's the price on it?   :D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 03:14:53 AM »
I had a 30 inch full choke bbl. cut to 23-3/4 inches ( worked out with rib support ) .
Then had a Briley Tube installed ( the one about 3 inchs long with thtrads all the way .
XXFull gives the tight pattern , really to tight for running deer so I use Xfull most of the time . The tubes sometime needs to be altered .
The gunsmith that did the work nows makes his own tubes , he mesures each bbl. and makes the tube needed . He has records of each bbl he has done over the last 25 years so he can predict the result pretty close .
cost to me was $135.00
Got it done at Ashland Firearms Service , Ashland Va.
I did not need forcing cone work , some do .
The cost of a custom tube should be less than threading a bbl . so you might get it for less . That's why he makes tubes so he can use existing bbl thread .

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 07:39:10 AM »
Thanks SHOOTALL, maybe Santa will bring me one this year.   :D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 07:53:22 AM »
Hope he does !
GOOD LUCK .

Offline blackwolfe

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »
My choice was always #4.  We used either 00 buck or #4 buck in southeast Asia and it worked very, very well. 

For Nov 5 - either will work very well in any setting.  For Nov 5th, for me, a battery of firearms including a scoped semi-auto and shotgun is preferable.  

I was told years ago the Military used #4, but had never had any one confirm that.  Thanks for the confirmation.  I have some #4, but don't see it too often where I live.
wolfe

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:48:29 AM »
blackwolfe:  I believe Sellier and Bellot produce #4 Buck.  I think Winchester makes it as well.  Stock up now, supplies will dry up in just a few months.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 01:55:34 AM »
while talking , consider 23/4 inch shells as the tend to jam less , even in a pump they are not as prone to short stroke .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 01:56:25 AM »
they also tend to be a faster load than longer shells .

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 05:00:27 AM »
And most shotguns hold an extra round of 2 3/4" shells compared to 3" shells.   And they kick a heck of a lot less.. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:15 AM »
blackwolfe:  I believe Sellier and Bellot produce #4 Buck.  I think Winchester makes it as well.  Stock up now, supplies will dry up in just a few months.
Remington also loads #4. 

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 06:25:13 AM »
To me the 2 3/4" Fed #1 buck loads have always been the happy medium . Also killed my first deer with that load many years ago .. 20  30 cal. pellets ..!! Whats not to love ?

They are just always hard to get in quantity like the 00 buck loads that are offered from everyone and their mothers brothers sisters dog out there

so since my supply of #1 is not what i want i lean towards the 00 buck manufacturers that keep the round count higher then the standard 9 pellets , there are a few that offer 00 buck with 12 pellets.

But i agree whole heartedly that any buck is good buck .... Checks for the Nobel or fiochhi would be worth the effort versus buying whatever leavings you can gather up at the local wally world and you end up gettin literally more bang for your buck ;)
    Just my 2 cents on it  ,

Just an after thought 2 years ago i killed a buck at 50 yards with a 15 pellet count remmie 3" load and wow , like being struck down by the Gods ( 30 inch barreled winchester ranger 12 guage)
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 06:28:38 AM »
We hunt in wet weather some so i like the winchester shell as it seems somewhat sealed .
which couldn't help with storage ( from season to season ) ::) ::