Author Topic: Shooting for the elderly...  (Read 617 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Shooting for the elderly...
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:06:54 PM »
Aw, relax ya bunch'a geezers! I said FOR the elderly, not AT the elderly.

The daycare center where my wife works also houses an elderly care facility. I've been invited by the management to bring in and display my cannon and mortars as a part of the activities.

When I spoke to the manager today to set the time, she asked me "Would you possibly be willing to fire the cannon for us?"

Hmmm, let me think about that for a minute... YES MA'AM!!!

I explained what would be involved in firing a blank charge, and she assured me that there would be no problems. This facility is outside the city limits and has plenty of room to establish a safety zone. So, weather permitting, we'll be setting off a salute this Thursday afternoon, after everyone has had a chance to look at the artillery up close.

Hopefully (assuming I have the permission of the management), I'll be allowed to document the event with photos, and post them here. I forgot to ask today, but I'll be sure to get approval before I set up.

Offline subdjoe

Re: Shooting for the elderly...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:33:43 PM »
"Would you possibly be willing to fire the cannon for us?"

ROFLMAO!!!

How long did it take you to stop grinning?  And, did you sprain any face muscles?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:56:46 PM »
That is really cool., I bet they are going to love this ! Way to go Terry C.

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:05:51 AM »
How big of a cannon are you bringing? Better do a pacemaker check before firing! :)
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »
How big of a cannon are you bringing?

We'll be shooting the ¼-scale 1857 Napoleon 12-pounder on its field carriage.

1.156" bore, 500 grain Fg blank charge.

I'll also be bringing the Marsilly carriage for the Napoleon. I'll probably display it inside on the Marsilly, which is more tabletop friendly, then switch it over to the field carriage before going outside.

Plus I'll have the golfball mortar, the ¼-scale Coehorn, the micro-mortar, and the handgonnes, as well as the assorted implements and ammunition. But these will all be static displays. I'm also printing up photos of some of the pieces in various stages of construction.

Forecast for tomorrow is sunny and 78°.

Better do a pacemaker check before firing! :)

Don't worry, I'll be confiscating all the hearing aid batteries before the salute. ;D

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:47:15 AM »

[/quote]

1.156" bore, 500 grain Fg blank charge.

[/quote]

Surely that's a misprint........ Don't you mean 5,000 grain ?

Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:23:33 AM »
5000 grains is almost a pound.  Way too much for a 1.15" bore gun.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »
flashback...

anyone ever see the drive-in classic, staring David Carridine... called "Death Race 2000"?

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »
5000 grains?

I don't think the entire bore, from breech to muzzle, will hold 5000 grains!

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »
The afternoon went great!

I had an audience of about twenty, and everyone seemed to really enjoy the presentation. After several cold damp days, today the weather warm and sunny. I set up on a table they provided on the basketball court. I'd left the handgonnes at home because I didn't think I would have room for everything, but that was when I thought I was setting up in their day room.

Could have brought them, but we had plenty to talk about as it was.

Because the clientele is a mix of elderly and younger patients, some with significant physical and/or mental handicaps, it was decided against photos during the presentation. Some of the patients might have been uncomfortable being photographed.

As it was, it was a relaxed setting and everyone got to get a good close look at the pieces and photos. I described each piece, how they worked, and the history behind the designs of the guns and carriages, as well as my own experiences building them. I also explained in detail the loading and firing sequence that I would follow, and the importance of safety even with a blank charge. Then they were invited to ask questions (and there were quite a few), before moving off to the safety zone while I prepared the cannon.

After switching the Napoleon over from the Marsilly to the field carriage and moving it to the firing area, I loaded the prepackaged 500 grain Fg powder charge. I fired the gun with the linstock using my newly prepared VisQuick fuses with NC lacquer/FFFFg priming. The shot went off perfectly. A few jumped at the noise, and a couple even squealed, but everyone cheered afterward.

I have an open invitation to come back again.