Author Topic: 12 ga. Ultra slug gun and federal barnes expander  (Read 461 times)

Offline sman

• Trade Count: (1)
12 ga. Ultra slug gun and federal barnes expander
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any luck with the federal barnes expanders?  Any range reports for these?
          Thanks, Steve

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: 12 ga. Ultra slug gun and federal barnes expander
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:43:31 AM »
one clover shaped hole at 50 yards, 3 shots.  i have not shot it at 100, but can expect great accuracy. 
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 12 ga. Ultra slug gun and federal barnes expander
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:24:04 AM »
I was shooting these EXCLUSIVELY in my rifled 870. Then I got a USH. I expected similar accuracy as the bullet really performs well on game. They tumbled badly. So I couldn't even use them. A friend had a box of Rem Copper Solids and these shot almost one hole @75.  This was a number of years back and those orig copper solids are gone, but I gave very good results with BUCKHAMMERS and Ultra-lokt slugs from Remington.

Now in contrary, I bought my brother-in law a USH 20 a couple years later... It wouldn't shoot the Rem slug but LOVED the Barnes.. Go figure.

I hope it works for you as it IS an excellent bullet for whitetails!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.