Author Topic: Scope adjustments  (Read 515 times)

Offline Duckhunter39480

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Scope adjustments
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:47:58 AM »
I have two scopes that always give me a problem when I mount them on a different barrel/gun.  The adjustments are marked 1 click =1/4 In@100 yds.  I fire the gun, the bullet (or group) is 2" high and 1" right.  Using the information on the turrent, I turn the scope dial down 8 clicks and left 4 clicks.  Invariably, the next bullet or group will strike 2" low and 1" left. Then I remember that this scope is different and cut the adjustments in half.  I know these guys can't sell scopes that are marked 1/2" @ 100 yds but has anyone else experienced this? 
You should have said something; I didn't know I had struck a nerve.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Scope adjustments
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Funny you should bring it up. I had a buddy of mine put a new scope on his AR yesterday. He was 4 in. one way and 3 the other after boresighting. After adjusting using the 1/4 min. idea, he was off the paper. His new scope had 1 moa clicks. when he bought it I told him to hold out for a Leupold.

Offline Duckhunter39480

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
You're right.  I've never had this problem with a Leupold. 
You should have said something; I didn't know I had struck a nerve.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:38:11 AM »
Lots of Leupold fans here because the adjustments on a Leupold are regarded as accurate and repeatable.

Meaning, you give one a click and it moves the same every time, give it a click back and it returns to the same place.

I've seen scopes that would not adjust at all requiring an excessive amount of clicks then they move all at once.  IMO, usually the rings are to tight when this happens.

Also, a click for say a high velocity 22.250 is going to be different than a click with a much slower bullet because the time of flight is different. 

So, yes, it can happen and while it might be a big issue to a bench rest shooter it might not be an issue to a hardwoods hunter.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »
I have had many scopes, some cheap & some good but my Leupold is the only one that I ever owned that was accurate & repeatable with the published movement as said in the manual with the data also being under the cap @ the outer ring!

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »

Also, a click for say a high velocity 22.250 is going to be different than a click with a much slower bullet because the time of flight is different. 

???

Changing rifles/cartridges doesn't change the adjustment values of the scope.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »
Your right....I don't know what I was thinking about.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater