Author Topic: Gracious in victory all right  (Read 810 times)

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Gracious in victory all right
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
At his first news conference as president-elect Friday, Obama was asked whether he had spoken to ex-presidents to prepare for the transition. The Illinois Democrat said he had "spoken to all of them—that are living." He added: "I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about, you know, doing any seances."

First press conference after being elected president and the guy mocks an ill 87 year old widow of an ex-president.  That's real class for sure.  Great example of compassion and unity.  ::) ::) :-[ :-[ >:(
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Gracious in victory all right
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 03:10:39 AM »
Well not being an Obama fan at all, I will say that it was in bad taste to say the least. Given that, I would also say that Mrs. Reagan was indeed dealing in pagan practices of the occult in an effort to get a leg up on her husbands scheduling. That in it self is pretty weird coming from the White House. And yes, I know she wasn't the president.
I would also add that although in poor taste, Obama did call her and personally apologise for the remarks. Apparently he was forgiven.
With any luck he will continue to put his foot in his mouth in public.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 03:20:03 AM »
I agree.  I was just shocked at how something like this could even come out of the mouth of someone who has just been elected to this office and is considered to be such a wonderful, uniting fellow.  Freudian slip?  I think it reveals something about what really goes on in that noggin.  I would expect that from Al Franken or the like.  Sure he was forgiven.  It doesn't erase the statement but Nancy Reagan showed herself to be the more gracious person.

I note how the media isn't pecking too hard on Obama over this.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 04:30:11 AM »
Nor will they. It will be a long 4 years.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 04:45:03 AM »
I agree.  I was just shocked at how something like this could even come out of the mouth of someone who has just been elected to this office and is considered to be such a wonderful, uniting fellow. 

You ain't seen nothin' yet.
I think we're all going to be shocked...sooner than later, unfortunately.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:44:35 AM »
Oh come on guys you are being too hard on him.  He called Mrs. R and they had a "warm friendly" conversation.  It's all better now!  He didn't mean anything by it.  She forgave him and so should you!  ::) ::)

full story

www.cnn.com

Heather

Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »
1. Obama says something stupid.

2. Someone notices.

3. Obama recants stupid statement.

4. Media announces "All is well".

5. Repeat step 1.

Get used to it. It is going to continue. :o

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:02:10 AM »
He said... She said... blah blah blah.
Who cares??

Spanky

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 07:49:43 AM »
well if she did seances to try and talk to good old RR then I do not see how the hell anyone especially her can get pissed off if ANYONE refers to it... I saw the speech on CNN as it was going on and I thought it was funny... though I do not think he is funny nor will life be fun with him in office but hey if you do stupid (censored word) and get called on it I will laugh... and I was laughing at NR not bo

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 08:37:55 AM »
Just for clarity -

Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologer regarding he husband's schedule.  Astrology  - not seances.  I sure don't believe in astrology but there is a difference between astrology and seances. 

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 09:43:17 AM »
Yep, that was not called for.  Neither was the remark by Ronald Reagan:  "There are real Christians in the white house now."

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
I wasn't aware of Reagan's remark, but I agree.  I expect more of presidents and president-elects when speaking publicly.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:07:19 AM »
We got more important things to worry about than something he said about Nancy Reagan.
If she ain't pissed about it, why should any of us be??

Spanky

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
I'm retired so I figure if I want to comment on the news and I have the time and inclination, I will.  This isn't the place to do that?

I'm not worried at all about it.  If Nancy Reagan isn't upset about - that's great.  She's a gracious lady.

If you have more important things to worry about - go worry about them.  You posted twice on this subject, while you could be worrying about something more important, like you said.

And as long as I am addressing you....  I DO SINCERELY THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND WHAT YOU ALL HAVE SACRIFICED FOR US!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »
I'm retired so I figure if I want to comment on the news and I have the time and inclination, I will.  This isn't the place to do that?

I'm not worried at all about it.  If Nancy Reagan isn't upset about - that's great.  She's a gracious lady.

If you have more important things to worry about - go worry about them.  You posted twice on this subject, while you could be worrying about something more important, like you said.

And as long as I am addressing you....  I DO SINCERELY THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND WHAT YOU ALL HAVE SACRIFICED FOR US!

I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers.
I guess I was just thinking out loud.

It was a cheap shot against a fine lady who graced our country with her service.
He did the right thing by apologizing to her.

Thank you for the kind words.
I hope our troops overseas can come home soon.

Spanky

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »
Yes, I hope and pray they can come home soon too.  There is an awful lot put on our military and families, and we owe them more than we can ever repay.