Author Topic: Sidekick barrel sometimes opens on firing...  (Read 845 times)

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
Sidekick barrel sometimes opens on firing...
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »
Has anyone else ever had this problem.  I have checked and double checked the action and it is NOT dirty causing the barrel to not lock sometimes.  No noticable wear on lock wedge.  It does have a .25 ACP conversion plug.  It is my wife's and she shoots 70gr of Pyro RS and 240gr T/C Cheap shots.  The barrel release does not seem to be partially depressed when this happens.  It only happens occasionally, but could definetly be a safety issue.  If it is a defect, would NEF repair it, since they no longer make/sell this gun?  Any and all thoughts are welcomed.  BTW, this gun regularly out shoots my T/C Omega carbine.
Denny
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Sidekick barrel sometimes opens on firing...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
Denny,

It is more than likely the length of the brass, they can vary greatly from the same lot. If you have some calipers, measure the lengths. In PR's instructions, it mentions this and you have to close up hard on the brass the first time through the rifle. If the brass is too long it will act as a stand off and prevent it from fully locking up, and I am only talking a couple thousandths. If you have a brass trimmer or de-burr tool, this can be remedied easily.

I really don't like the idea of using the rifle as a tool to fit the brass. Before you put a primer in the brass, insert the case in the plug, take a straight edge and lay it accross the brass and the end of the barrel. If the brass is too long, it will be very obvious as your straight edge will rock back and forth. The headspace should be flush for a perfect fit, if it is sticking out only a couple thousandths, it may be too much. Instead of slamming your rifle shut to fit the brass, you can tap (NO PRIMER IN BRASS) with a brass hammer and recheck fit. or, you can find the perfect fitting piece of brass for lockup while installed in the rifle,,,remove plug,,,reinsert brass,,,measure length of brass and plug together,,,check all your brass w/plug for length using calipers.

I have had a few pieces of brass that needed a little cleaning up, but most fit pretty good from the get-go. Closing up firmly will generally make them fit well. I like them to be about .001" long to make up for the headspace built in to the design.

If the rifle locks up every time without brass in it, I'm 99% sure the brass length is the problem, and it is not locking up tight enough for the latch to adequately engage the shelf.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:14:32 PM »
My Huntsman sometimes would open upon firing when it was new so I altered the wedge (very little) and it never happened again.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
I have used a Sidekick for years with 100 Gr. Goex FFG and 470 grain maxi-hunter conical. Mine has never opened. Been lucky I suppose.

Jack

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »
Well, I went and measured a bunch of the brass (both sized and new).  On the 25 new brass I sized, all measured between .608 and .610 except one that went .601.  The 25 new brass, most were .608 to .611 with 1 going up to .613 and one was .587 (threw that one away!).  One thing I noticed was that some were hard to unlock the barrel after sizing and some weren't.  Length didn't seem to matter.  Some of the .608 were hard, some of the .610 were easy.  Now I'm wondering what the magic number is.  I wasn't expecting to see that much variation.  I would think that with modern CNC machining, MagTech could hold a better tolerance!
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:52:26 AM »
I have used a Sidekick for years with 100 Gr. Goex FFG and 470 grain maxi-hunter conical. Mine has never opened. Been lucky I suppose.

Jack

I shoot the 470 gr. Maxis in my 24 inch Huntsman with two 50 gr. Tripple Seven pellets, 209 primers and it makes one ragged hole at 50 yards, rings the 300 yard gong (with holdover) and bang flops deer.

I've shot 150 gr. Tripple seven also with the same bullet and the rifle never opened.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:08:08 AM »
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but would keeping the latch area clean and dry be as important as it is with the rifles?  I have some alcohol swabs I carry in my shooting bag when I go to the range.  If I have an occasional pop open, I clean the latch and no more problems.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
It's not a bad idea to take a black magic marker & blacken the latch area, then put the gun together and open & close it several times to see where it's locked up & how much. 

Some of my handi's/sidekick haven't shot worth a darn if it only locks on one side - and I bet the guns that open up have very little engagement of the latch making contact.

Try with & without the 25 ACP brass if you want to see if it's the brass causing the issue.