Author Topic: Hubbard 209 primer holder blowback  (Read 984 times)

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Hubbard 209 primer holder blowback
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
  Would it be helpful in taking the drill taper out of the bottom of the 209 primer bore of the Hubbard primer holder and using shims to achieve both bottom end AND rim headspacing ? A slight stress relief chamfer would be needed. A tapered washer could also achieve the flat bottom needed. What diameter bore would minimize blow back and still allow extraction? Right now I have a .006" difference between the bore and the primer.   Ken

Offline jenkst

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hubbard 209 primer holder blowback
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »
Kody; Its my understanding that each company has a slightly different size in lenght and diameter and also rim size. I think it might be worth trying a different brand if it does not effect your group size. You might be really surprized at how much less blow back you get. No two company make the same size primer. I have a Encore that seals good with one brand of primers and not so good with another. Try this: Take a fired 209 primer and lay it on a hard surface and take a small hamer and tap on it to try and increase the dia. a very small amount. Don't get it to big because you want to place it back in your primer carrier. Then take a well oiled tight patch on your ram rod with cleaning jag and run it up and down your barrel and listen for air coming around your primer. You can hear it if you you can get your ear down close to it. All I'am saying is try try different brands of primers and I would almost bet money you"ll find one that seals better than all others and you won't be burning up a lot of powder and lead. I've tried this with my 25acp plug and you can hear the air really coming around the 25acp brass. The brass doesn't expand to the dia. of the breach plug when fired to seal it. So Iam going to look for a way to enlarge the mouth of the 25acp brass to seal better and maybe I might get better results with small rifle primers and BH209, maybe no hang fires. I don't know that Ive helped you but thats my 2 cents worth. Keep trying and kill a big'un.  Jenks

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »
 jenkst; What kind of fit is necessary in order to be able to extract the fired 209?  If there is a difference in performance is it mainly in the fit? I'm concerned that a good fitting 209 [extractable after firing] may not be one that gives the needed ignition . Many posters report varying performance from using different brands and/or types of 209s. Or ,is that BECAUSE of the different fits? With me now ,I,m wondering if the .006" difference in diameters of the Remington 209 and the Hubbard 209 bushing/holder?     Ken

Offline ericcbeckett

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:05 AM »
One idea that I've heard of (but not seen or tried) is to have the primer seat so that it is not flush, but in a shallow channel. When the primer is struck, the portion outside the channel will swell, using the primer casing as a seal. It seems this idea may have some merit.

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:17:21 AM »
The 25acp brass doesn't expand to the dia. of the breach plug when fired to seal it. So Iam going to look for a way to enlarge the mouth of the 25acp brass to seal better and maybe I might get better results with small rifle primers and BH209, maybe no hang fires.  Jenks

Jenks, without me having any first hand experience with the 25acp primer
plug, It seems to me that if we have headspaced the whole setup just
right that when we close the receiver and it locks up we could be
putting the 25acp case under a tight compression that would be sealing
the bottom edge of the case with the breech plug. Do you have a feeler
guage or some way of determining whether your 25acp case is being
compressed into the breechplug when you lock your receiver up ?