Author Topic: model 70 featherweight  (Read 1605 times)

Offline billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
model 70 featherweight
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:46:06 AM »
I got one in 270 and really like it ,anyone else have one,if so how do you like it? Also do you think it will make a big comeback?
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: model 70 featherweight
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:05:58 AM »
I have nine model 70 featherweights, two of which are 270s.
One is a 1953 model and the other is a 1988 model.
The 1953 one will keep a REM 130 & 150 grain along with a WIN 130 & 150 grain one right after the other in a group of under 1.5" to 2" all day long.
It will cut a five shot ragged hole under a nickle at 100 with the old WIN POWER POINT PLUS 130 grain ammo.( WISH THEY STILL MADE IT)
I have never had a gun that was so forgiving of the ammo you put through it.

The 1988 model will cut a three shot hole under a dime at 100 with the same ammo.
I am sure glad I have a good supply of that ammo.

I also have a 270 handi that will stay under 3/4" with this ammo.

I really don't think it will ever make a comeback.
Even though it is the same gun with the same parts the price and the fact that it is stamped FN just killed it as the Winchester of old.

It's kind of like the remake of the Chevy CAMMARO or the DODGE CHARGER.
While they are sharp looking cars they just ain't the same as the originals!
Know what I mean?

Find a ammo that your gun likes and then go out and buy all that you think you will ever need before they either change it or stop making it.
BUY PLENTY OF EXTRA!!!

I have well over 1000 rounds of the POWER POINT PLUS and grab it when ever I can.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:04:59 PM »
I have one in 257 Bob. It shoots +- moa and has a beautiful stock on it. My 9 yo daughter and I shot it today and she has claimed it. Little does she know, she can't have it. This one is mine, lol. ;D

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 01:10:36 AM »
I should have added mine is a new 2008 model,opinions are welcomed.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »
I have one in .243 that I purchased new in 2003.  I like it a lot.  Very sharp looking rifle.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »
Sorry billy, I can't help you with the new ones.
They should be as good or better than the last run that WINCHESTER did as they are assembled using the same parts.
FN (BROWNING) bought all the remaining parts and model 70 actions that WINCHESTER had on hands.
I don't know about the barrels and wood though.
I more than likely will never own a new one being a diehard WINCHESTER man!

Hope it does you proud!!!

Keep us informed.
I know I would like to know.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline One Eye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
I currently own a Winchester M70 Classic in 300 Win Mag.  It is the first year that they offered the BOSS.  The gun is a tack driver.  It is a little thick in the grip area, but I have very small hands.

I was just in the shop last night having a scope mounted on my muzzleloader.  While waiting, I got to check out one of the new 2008 Win M70 Featherweights in 30/06.  It was very nice looking rifle.  I was very impressed with how light and responsive those Featherweights feel in the hand.  I am a big Winchester fan, so I am curious to hear what kind of accuracy people are getting out of these new models.  I am looking to get a 7mm-08, but I am waiting to hear more feedback on these FNchesters.
Dan
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »
I've got a 243 from the first year of reintroduction, which I recall was in the mid 80's.  Saving it for a grandson who is one year old now.

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 11:09:09 AM »
Well i have had a chance to hunt with my new model 70 and love it ,so far i,ve got a big doe and a nice 8 pt. with it ,really like this rifle.

Offline One Eye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 03:07:25 AM »
Well i have had a chance to hunt with my new model 70 and love it ,so far i,ve got a big doe and a nice 8 pt. with it ,really like this rifle.
Have you had a chance to do much paper punching with it?  If yes, how is the accuracy?
Dan
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 03:12:03 AM »
Read another review of the new M70 in Rifle mag I think but maybe in Handloader one of the two Wolfe pubs anyway. It was quite different than the previous one I had read and this one shot extremely well with several loads coming in under an inch at 100 and even the worse for it being darn near as good as the best in the previous article I had read on them. Dunno if they are doing better now or if one or the other were just not typical of the average.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Rev Buck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 06:18:37 AM »
I have a 1981 model in .30-06, one of the last ones made before they changed hands.  It's pretty much my favorite. It handles any load I choose to feed it, less than an inch which is good for me.  It was "new" in the box when I bought it from a friend's father's estate, never shot until this year.  It handles well, is great looking, and accounted for this year's Christmas Eve deer chili.
Blessings,
Rev

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
Last time i shot at paper ,three shots in one inch sq. at 75 yards, inch high.I think that is okay ,what do you say One Eye.