Author Topic: "Hog Wild" duck hunt  (Read 896 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
"Hog Wild" duck hunt
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »
My son and I were duck hunting a local WMA yesterday afternoon.  We were in knee deep water at the edge of a lot of trees and in the distance I heard a lot of splashing and it kept getting louder and louder.

I told my son to get ready to see a bunch of deer running to us and we stood up and looked towards the noise.  At that point we saw about 30 wild pigs running full speed just behind us (about 30 yards) inside the treeline in flooded timber.

They never stopped and just kept running almost in a single file order.  We held off on shooting as the last thing I needed was to hit one bad enough to get all of them mad at me.  I never have hunted pig before so I didn't know if the stories of them being agressive are true.

Even though we didn't shoot any ducks it was a neat day at the lake.

TOO HOT TO DUCK HUNT!!!!  We need cold weather.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
Re: "Hog Wild" duck hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:03:58 AM »
Last spring a buddy and I were turkey hunting James Collins WMA in Eufaula. We had a tom answer us over a hill. We slowly "stealthy" walked up to the top of the hill and out jumped about a 300lb wild boar. Popped his teeth and ran right by us. It all happend so quick it was over before we even knew what it was. Talk about scary!

I too wish it would get a lot colder!
IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »
Glad I didn't shoot at them as my friend called me and said it was against the regs to shoot hogs on a WMA except for deer season.

I thought they were open anytime another hunting season is open but I guess that is just for private land.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »
I do not think your friend is correct. There is no season on wild hogs. I will find it in the regs tomorrow and link it here.

Brian

Offline Gohon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
Hofs01,  Each of the WMA's have different regulations concerning hunting hogs.  Some allow it only during deer gun season, some allow only the use of shotguns with I think #4 shot being the largest shot (go figure), and some do not allow hog hunting at all.  Other than that there is no closed season on private land. 

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:51:53 AM »
That makes since. The WMA's I hunt on allow it year round.