Author Topic: Ron Paul Commentary: GOP should ask why U.S. is on the wrong track  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • mymartialartsplus.com
Commentary: GOP should ask why U.S. is on the wrong track

By Ron Paul
Special to CNN

Editor's note: Ron Paul is a Republican congressman from Texas who ran for his party's nomination for president this year. He served in Congress in the late 1970s and early 1980s and was elected again to Congress in 1996, serving continuously since then. Rep. Paul is a member of the House Financial Services Committee.

Ron Paul says the nation is off track and Republicans have to rediscover their core beliefs.

(CNN) -- The questions now being asked are: Where to go from here and who's to blame for the downfall of the Republican Party?

Too bad the concern for the future of the Republican Party had not been seriously addressed in the year 2000 when the Republicans gained control of the House, Senate, and the Presidency.

Now, in light of the election, many are asking: What is the future of the Republican Party?

But that is the wrong question. The proper question should be: Where is our country heading? There's no doubt that a large majority of Americans believe we're on the wrong track. That's why the candidate demanding "change" won the election. It mattered not that the change offered was no change at all, only a change in the engineer of a runaway train.

Once it's figured out what is fundamentally wrong with our political and economic system, solutions can be offered. If the Republican Party can grasp hold of the policy changes needed, then the party can be rebuilt.

In the rise and fall of the recent Republican reign of power these past decades, the goal of the party had grown to be only that of gaining and maintaining power -- with total sacrifice of the original Republican belief in shrinking the size of government.

Most Republicans endorsed this view in order to achieve victories at the polls. Limiting government power and size with less spending and a balanced budget as the goal used to be a "traditional" Republican value. This is what Goldwater and Reagan talked about. That is what the Contract with America stood for.

The opportunity finally came in 2000 to do something about the cancerous growth of government. This clear message led to the Republican success at the polls.

Once the Republicans were in power, though, the promises faded, and all policies were directed at maintaining or increasing power by trying to whittle away at Democratic strength by acting like big-spending Democrats.

The Republican Congress never once stood up against the Bush/Rove machine that demanded support for unconstitutional wars, attacks on civil liberties here at home, and an economic policy based on more spending, more debt, and more inflation -- while constantly preaching the flawed doctrine that deficits don't matter as long as taxes aren't raised.

But what the Republican leadership didn't realize was that ALL spending is a tax on middle-class Americans through price inflation and that eventually the inevitable consequence is paying for the extravagance with a financial crisis.

Party leaders concentrated only on political tricks in order to maintain power and neglected the limited-government principles on which they were elected. The only solution for this is for Republicans to once again reassess their core beliefs and show how the country (not the party) can be put back on the right track. The problem, though, is regaining credibility.

After eight years of perpetual (and unnecessary and unconstitutional) war, persistent and expanded attacks on our privacy, runaway deficits, and now nationalization of the financial system, Republicans are going to have a tough time regaining the confidence of the American people. But that's what must be done.

Otherwise, Republicans can only mimic Democrats and hope for an isolated victory here and there. And that's just more of the same that brought on the disintegration of the party.

Since the new alignment of political power offers no real change, we will remain on the same track without even a pretense of slowing the growth of government. With the new administration we can expect things to go from bad to worse.

Opportunity abounds for anyone who can present the case for common sense in fiscal affairs, for protection of civil liberties here at home, and avoiding the senseless foreign entanglements which have bogged us down for decades and contributed so significantly to our fiscal and budgetary crisis.

During the debates in the Republican Presidential primary, even though I am a 10-term sitting Representative Member of Congress, I was challenged more than once on my Republican credentials. The fact that I was repeatedly asked how I could be a Republican when I was talking a different language than the other candidates answers the question of how the Republican Party can slip so far so fast.

My rhetorical answer at the time was simple: Why should one be excluded from the Republican Party for believing and always voting for:

• Limited government power

• A balanced budget

• Personal liberty

• Strict adherence to the Constitution

• Sound money

• A strong defense while avoiding all undeclared wars

• No nation-building and no policing the world

How can a party that still pretends to be the party of limited government distance itself outright from these views and expect to maintain credibility? Since the credibility of the Republican Party has now been lost, how can it regain credibility without embracing these views, or at least showing respect for them?

I concluded my answer by simply stating the Republican Party had lost its way and must reassess its values. And that is what needs to be done in a hurry.

But it might just take a new crop of leaders to regain the credibility needed to redirect the Party. It certainly won't be done overnight. It took a long time to come out of the wilderness after 40 years of Democratic rule for the Republican Party to take charge. Today though, time moves more quickly. Opportunities will arise. The one thing for certain is that in the next four years we will not see the Republic restored. Instead the need for it will be greater than ever.

The problems are easily understood and the answers are not that difficult. Abusing the rule of law and ignoring the Constitution can be reversed. If the Republican Party can grasp hold of the needed reforms, it can lead the way and regain its credibility. If power is sought for power's sake alone, the Party will never be able to wrench away the power of the opposition.

In the past two years, I found that when the young people heard the message of liberty, they overwhelmingly responded favorably, fully realizing the failure of the status quo and the need to once again endorse a system of self reliance, personal responsibility, sound money, and a non-interventionist foreign policy while rejecting the cradle-to-grave nanny state all based on the rule of law and the Constitution.

To ignore the political struggle and only "hope for the best" is pure folly. The march toward a dictatorial powerful state is now in double time.

All those who care -- and especially those who understand the stakes involved -- have an ominous responsibility to energetically get involved in the battle of survival for a free and prosperous America.

Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline pab1

• Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ron Paul Commentary: GOP should ask why U.S. is on the wrong track
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »
I hope he runs again in 2012!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. "
Thomas Paine

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
If we only had a handful of people like him in the House and Senate, we might have a future as a free Republic. That is not the case, and not likely to happen in the near future.

Ron Paul endorsed the Constitution Party this election, after the media and his fellow Republicans turned on him like a pack of wolves. Chuck Baldwin, the Constitution party candidate was on our ballot here in Oregon, and I voted for him. The sad fact is.......The total independent vote across the country was only about 3%.
and that included the Green and Libertarian party.
Not enough as some think to change the election. McCain got his Azz kicked because the GOP has been a failure for the last eight years, and the country didn't want four more years of the same.

The Republican Party can no longer brag about being the party of small government, and I don't see it returning to that platform.

What a patriot Ron Paul is.......Even with the odds against him, he still keeps fighting the good fight. "God Bless him"
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
I was hoping we wouldn't hear from him anymore.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
Commentary: GOP should ask why U.S. is on the wrong track

By Ron Paul
Special to CNN

Editor's note: Ron Paul is a Republican congressman from Texas who ran for his party's nomination for president this year. He served in Congress in the late 1970s and early 1980s and was elected again to Congress in 1996, serving continuously since then. Rep. Paul is a member of the House Financial Services Committee.

Ron Paul says the nation is off track and Republicans have to rediscover their core beliefs.

(CNN) -- The questions now being asked are: Where to go from here and who's to blame for the downfall of the Republican Party?

Too bad the concern for the future of the Republican Party had not been seriously addressed in the year 2000 when the Republicans gained control of the House, Senate, and the Presidency.

Now, in light of the election, many are asking: What is the future of the Republican Party?

But that is the wrong question. The proper question should be: Where is our country heading? There's no doubt that a large majority of Americans believe we're on the wrong track. That's why the candidate demanding "change" won the election. It mattered not that the change offered was no change at all, only a change in the engineer of a runaway train.

Once it's figured out what is fundamentally wrong with our political and economic system, solutions can be offered. If the Republican Party can grasp hold of the policy changes needed, then the party can be rebuilt.

In the rise and fall of the recent Republican reign of power these past decades, the goal of the party had grown to be only that of gaining and maintaining power -- with total sacrifice of the original Republican belief in shrinking the size of government.

Most Republicans endorsed this view in order to achieve victories at the polls. Limiting government power and size with less spending and a balanced budget as the goal used to be a "traditional" Republican value. This is what Goldwater and Reagan talked about. That is what the Contract with America stood for.

The opportunity finally came in 2000 to do something about the cancerous growth of government. This clear message led to the Republican success at the polls.

Once the Republicans were in power, though, the promises faded, and all policies were directed at maintaining or increasing power by trying to whittle away at Democratic strength by acting like big-spending Democrats.

The Republican Congress never once stood up against the Bush/Rove machine that demanded support for unconstitutional wars, attacks on civil liberties here at home, and an economic policy based on more spending, more debt, and more inflation -- while constantly preaching the flawed doctrine that deficits don't matter as long as taxes aren't raised.

But what the Republican leadership didn't realize was that ALL spending is a tax on middle-class Americans through price inflation and that eventually the inevitable consequence is paying for the extravagance with a financial crisis.

Party leaders concentrated only on political tricks in order to maintain power and neglected the limited-government principles on which they were elected. The only solution for this is for Republicans to once again reassess their core beliefs and show how the country (not the party) can be put back on the right track. The problem, though, is regaining credibility.

After eight years of perpetual (and unnecessary and unconstitutional) war, persistent and expanded attacks on our privacy, runaway deficits, and now nationalization of the financial system, Republicans are going to have a tough time regaining the confidence of the American people. But that's what must be done.

Otherwise, Republicans can only mimic Democrats and hope for an isolated victory here and there. And that's just more of the same that brought on the disintegration of the party.

Since the new alignment of political power offers no real change, we will remain on the same track without even a pretense of slowing the growth of government. With the new administration we can expect things to go from bad to worse.

Opportunity abounds for anyone who can present the case for common sense in fiscal affairs, for protection of civil liberties here at home, and avoiding the senseless foreign entanglements which have bogged us down for decades and contributed so significantly to our fiscal and budgetary crisis.

During the debates in the Republican Presidential primary, even though I am a 10-term sitting Representative Member of Congress, I was challenged more than once on my Republican credentials. The fact that I was repeatedly asked how I could be a Republican when I was talking a different language than the other candidates answers the question of how the Republican Party can slip so far so fast.

My rhetorical answer at the time was simple: Why should one be excluded from the Republican Party for believing and always voting for:

• Limited government power

• A balanced budget

• Personal liberty

• Strict adherence to the Constitution

• Sound money

• A strong defense while avoiding all undeclared wars

• No nation-building and no policing the world

How can a party that still pretends to be the party of limited government distance itself outright from these views and expect to maintain credibility? Since the credibility of the Republican Party has now been lost, how can it regain credibility without embracing these views, or at least showing respect for them?

I concluded my answer by simply stating the Republican Party had lost its way and must reassess its values. And that is what needs to be done in a hurry.

But it might just take a new crop of leaders to regain the credibility needed to redirect the Party. It certainly won't be done overnight. It took a long time to come out of the wilderness after 40 years of Democratic rule for the Republican Party to take charge. Today though, time moves more quickly. Opportunities will arise. The one thing for certain is that in the next four years we will not see the Republic restored. Instead the need for it will be greater than ever.

The problems are easily understood and the answers are not that difficult. Abusing the rule of law and ignoring the Constitution can be reversed. If the Republican Party can grasp hold of the needed reforms, it can lead the way and regain its credibility. If power is sought for power's sake alone, the Party will never be able to wrench away the power of the opposition.

In the past two years, I found that when the young people heard the message of liberty, they overwhelmingly responded favorably, fully realizing the failure of the status quo and the need to once again endorse a system of self reliance, personal responsibility, sound money, and a non-interventionist foreign policy while rejecting the cradle-to-grave nanny state all based on the rule of law and the Constitution.

To ignore the political struggle and only "hope for the best" is pure folly. The march toward a dictatorial powerful state is now in double time.

All those who care -- and especially those who understand the stakes involved -- have an ominous responsibility to energetically get involved in the battle of survival for a free and prosperous America.

Nothing wrong with that & everything is right about that.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:35:06 PM »
The election is over...

Ron who??

Spanky

The sad fact is.......The total independent vote across the country was only about 3%.
and that included the Green and Libertarian party.
Not enough as some think to change the election.

Was the 3rd party vote just to spite McCain then??
Maybe it was just a way of voting for Obama without really voting for him.

Spanky

Offline powderman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:18:51 AM »
A good start for him and others would be to quit being a crybaby when they don't get the nomination and go 3rd for spite and split the party like they did. All they did was help elect osama. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 02:12:59 AM »
What a patriot Ron Paul is.......Even with the odds against him, he still keeps fighting the good fight. "God Bless him"

Sadly the Republican party rejected patriotism this election.  They wanted loyalty to the PARTY, not the COUNTRY.  Ron Paul was pushed to the sidelines because of this, and the fact that he continues to go against the grain marks him as one who has a true and deep love for his country and the constitution, at least in my eyes.

For the life of me I don't know why decent Americans fight RP's  plain talk so much.
Institutionalized stupidity.  The party demands LOYALTY.  Not to the country, but to the PARTY.  When the party is attacked, the demagogues who are the mouthpieces of the party (Hannity, Limbaugh) are instructed to smear, ridicule, and attack.  The result is that the best candidates are pushed by the wayside, while the most watered-down, connected, bought-and-paid-for candidate gets the press. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 02:23:04 AM »
The candidates that can win gets the press.  Why waste time on a candidate that can't win?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:25:06 AM »
Candidates get the press if they spout leftist views, the further left, the better.
Ron Paul doesn't say what a majority of Americans want to hear, truth has nothing to do with popularity.
RP reminds me of a Canadian politician that had very many similarities, he never got elected as PM and lost leadership to his party and RP will never be elected to the WH. IMO
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline magooch

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:51:54 AM »
Ron Paul at best is a curmudgeon--hey nothing wrong with that, but he invalidates himself by blathering about "unconstitutional wars."  If we hadn't engaged the terrorists and their supporters, they would not have just gone away and we wouldn't be talking about "change" and how to get back on track. 

The prime topic would be, why we haven't addressed terrorism.  The Dumbycrats would be wanting to impeach Bush for not effectively protecting the country from enemies who are determined to kill us. 

A couple of side issues would aslo be in the headlines; our senior citizens would want a piece of our current President's hide for not dealing with the high cost of prescription drugs and education advocates would be blaming Bush for doing nothing about our education system.  Of course, he has dealt with these and many other issues and that brings us to where we are now.

It all costs money and no remedy to any problem is perfect.  Hopefully, Bush and the Congress has over-extended our ability to buy our way out of every problem to the point where Osama's and the Dumbycrat Congresses hands are tied.
Swingem

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
I was hoping we wouldn't hear from him anymore.
You sound like someone from the Liberal Press.
You belong to a forum like this one, and don't want to hear from a true patriot that always votes for your constitutional rights, even when the deck is stacked against him.

Who do you want to hear from? Another GW Bush, or a John McCain, that closes gun shows, or never tries to overturn gun laws on the books that target honest gun owners?

It's a waste of time trying to talk any sense to a CNO (Conservative in name only) like you.

You would vote for Jane Fonda, if the GOP told you too.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »

That, my friend, is Swampman in a nutshell.  Anything and everyone with (R) behind it is right, and everything else is wrong.  At least in his world.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
Nobody tells me what to do.  I'm a veteran & a patriot.  I do what's best for my country.  Ron Paul isn't good for America.

Because Ron Paul & his supporters helped put Obama in office, we all must suffer.

Google (ron paul votes not counted) and you can see I'm telling the truth.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »
The REAL question the GOP should ask is why you let the elite take you over and put self interest in front of the needs of the country.  Then use your puppet (Bush) to make you richer while forgetting the common man that got to power in the first place.

The GOP is why Obama won.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »

That, my friend, is Swampman in a nutshell.  Anything and everyone with (R) behind it is right, and everything else is wrong.  At least in his world.

kev, I like you but I have to correct you on swampy....

he really does live in the same world as we do he just does not have the mental capacity to realize or understand it so he pretends he lives in a world where all is well in the country under GW's rule... 
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 03:21:47 PM »
President Bush never ruled, he governed.  He is a good man, a Christian, and a gun owner.  I'd gladly give him 8 more years if it were up to me.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »
I'm a Christian, I can't vote for a democrat.  I won't waste my vote on 3rd party goofs.

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
I'm a Christian, I can't vote for a democrat.  I won't waste my vote on 3rd party goofs.

Ron Paul is a Republican.

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »
Swamp,
I hear ole Bush can walk on water.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »
Ron Paul isn't good for America.

Because Ron Paul & his supporters helped put Obama in office, we all must suffer.

That has got to be one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard you make.

There are several hundred congressmen and senate members who have publicly stated that RP is the Constitution's best friend and as far as I am concerned any friend of the Constitution is a friend of mine and A TRUE PATRIOT.

I'm a veteran & a patriot.

No... sir you are a F.C.ING IDIOT...  now go ahead and hit the report post button if you want and say you are being attack because you sir have just been attacked... I will be on your ass for the rest of your days here at GBO...

You ARE the epitome of the reason ob was elected...
― Albert Einstein

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 03:37:09 PM »
Swamp,
I hear ole Bush can walk on water.

No, but he's not the devil you folks make him out to be.  He's a good man.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »
Yes, the GOP is full of Swamps.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
He's a good man.

I know nothing of the man's personal character, but the way he has governed this country borders on criminal negligence.  Look at our borders, for cripe's sake!  Tell me that the man could not have gotten that situation under control in the 8 YEARS he had. 

Look at Wall Street.  A trillion dollars of taxpayer money going straight to the wealthiest people in the world.  Forget Obama's "spread the wealth around" line; Bush's economic policy has been redistributing wealth all along.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »
So the liberal media would have us believe.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »
With so many that voted Obama or Mc Cain. Is like 95% of Americans wrong?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »
Yes,
voting strait party and voting the lesser of two evils.  That is why I DID NOT VOTE!  I choose NOT TO VOTE for the lesser of two evils.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »

hmm lets see ob won by 7 to 8 percent and according to you only 5% did not vote for ob or jm which I think the real number is more like 3% but anyway THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT RP CAUSED ob TO WIN... Now that we have that out of the way I trust you will never bring it up again...
― Albert Einstein

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »

hmm lets see ob won by 7 to 8 percent and according to you only 5% did not vote for ob or jm which I think the real number is more like 3% but anyway THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT RP CAUSED ob TO WIN... Now that we have that out of the way I trust you will never bring it up again...

Matt I guess you misunderstood my post. For one Mc Cain lost this election with one of the poorest campaigns ever. What I am saying is around 95% did not vote third party whatever their party that may be. Does this mean only a few in this country are smart enough to vote?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »
If you watched and took note of the areas Obama won you will see that there was a shift in the areas that always voted GOP and went dems.  Until the GOP leaders see that it failed and must look on itself for the reason the GOP will fail again.  It is unless Obama f**ks up.  Pardon my French.