Author Topic: What scope would you recommend without pay allot?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Hawk89

• Trade Count: (0)
What scope would you recommend without pay allot?
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:20 AM »
What scope would you recommend without pay allot?

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: What scope would you recommend without pay allot?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:02:03 AM »
simmons 44 mag, 100$, bushnell banner and trophy, i believe 60-120$.  i own both and both are very clear.
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:06:38 AM »
Define alot please. 

I am a big fan nikon buckmaster scopes and you can find them for $200 - $300.

My most recent purchase was a burris 2-7 for about $150.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »
Please tell us what your price range is and the intended purpose.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:27:52 AM »
Any of the Bushnell 3200 series.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:39:22 AM »
I have come to favor the Bushnell 3200 and the Burris Banners aren't to bad if you stay away from the high power ones 6-18 leave a lot to be desired above about 10 power. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
I'm kind of interested in this topic myself.  Once before on GBO this topic or similar came up and now I've used search and cannot find it.  In the previous topic a scope was mentioned having a BLUE mil dot recticle in compact type dimensions.  I looked at the manufacturers website and it seemed to me that this scope was intended for paint ball arms.  However, several posted that they had used it on center fires.  I'd be interested if anyone read that old post and could assist with the name again.  One of the posters was color blind and really liked the blue mil dot recticle.  I'd like to try one out on my .223 Ultra bull barrel. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
What is the scope for and what kind fixed or variable?

I would look for a used Leupold, they are warranty guaranteed and found for half price.

Optics are a good place to spend your money, if you go cheap it will be cheap.

Leupolds VX-II's or Vari-X II's are all I buy anymore.

yooper77

Offline Zachary

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »
Nikon Buckmaster or Bushnell Elite 3200.  I really don't recommend scopes of lesser quality than these models.  If you can't afford these models (which are in the $200 range) then I strongly urge you, if you can, to simply save a little more and get these scopes because they are a very good value and, in my opinion, do not "cost a lot."

Zachary

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:26:24 AM »
Buy more than you can really afford anything from 150 to 250 is good as well try that mueller that tim recommends it seems like a deal

You get nothing for free
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 12:02:07 PM »
Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 for a 145.00 they are great scopes
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »
I have 1 Prostaffs, and IMO they aren't so good.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Catfish

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 02:26:12 AM »
If it cost less than a Leupold it`s not good enough for me and if it cost more than a Leupold it too over priced for me.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 05:22:02 AM »
If it cost less than a Leupold it`s not good enough for me and if it cost more than a Leupold it too over priced for me.
Guess we know where you stand
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 11:57:40 AM »
Nikon, Pentax, Mueller, Bushnell all have moderate priced models that can meet your needs. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »

I used to be a Leupold only man.  When it dawned on me how much better the Bushnell Elite series was, I quickly realized I needed to quit wasting my money.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
I owned a few leupolds, then I bought a nikon and wondered why I ever spent that much on a Leupold.  A nikon buckmaster is about the same as leupold VX-II in my opinion.  I don't care for the leupold microfriction scope adjustments.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
Obviously you've not bought a Leupold lately. The VX-II doesn't have the friction adjustments. They are now only on the Rifleman and VX-I.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:53 AM »
Obviously you've not bought a Leupold lately. The VX-II doesn't have the friction adjustments. They are now only on the Rifleman and VX-I.

That's what I'm getting at.  The nikon's have the click adjustments like the VX-II's and cost as much or less than a VX-I.  I've only bought a couple VX-I's for different rifles and 2-7 for a shotgun.  They're good scopes, but I don't like how you have to really crank down on the scope adjustment to change the power of the scope.  The Nikon's are nice and smooth.  Leupolds are great if a guy wants to get his scope steup and then never adjust anything.

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
I have 3 Simmons which are now monoculars. Wouldn't buy a Simmons on a bet.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »
 "Allot" is relative, for me 400 or more is allot for a scope. For others that could be half that. In this world you get what you pay for, I pay for Leupold. There quality and service is second to none. Try sending a USED, Bushnell, Simmons, Nikon, BSA, Tasco back, ten years down the road. Guess what, as long as its at least a VXI, Leupold will HAPPILY take and repair it FREE OF CHARGE. Some manufactures offer some very good service but none that I know of will extend it to whom ever EVER owns their product, NO QUESTIONS asked. That's in the off chance it ever needs to go back to the factory!! Opinions are vast everyone has there own loyalties and that's great and what makes the world go round. When its important I buy Leupold.
In fact, I bought one today! (More shortly) Will another scope fit your purposes, its very likely that it will.

I for one do not like the Prostaff line from Nikon. Its better than the cheap Tasco, Simmons, Barske, BSA, Nichols and many other "cheapo scopes" but then again @ the $120-80 cost it SHOULD BE!! I haven't had any problems with it, but its no Leupold in my book.

One scope I have tried and do like is the PENTAX fixed power Gameseeker. I have two of them one, 4X and one 6X I like what I see. Matte finish, good optics, excellent xlairity, nice multi POI reticule, finger adjustments and quick focus. All for about 100 bucks.

Yes, I bought a VXI 2x7x33 used today. I paid 149.99. Good deal I thought, esp when you consider, I paid for it and had it in hand. I didn't have to order, pay $120-140 for what I WAS going to buy. Plus add in shipping costs and I would still have a lessor scope for the same or even more money.
 I bumped that ProStaff Nikon I had on my H&R 30-30 barrel. I swapped the Nikon to the wife's Rem Gamemaster 35Rem. She liked the looks of the Nikon and for the amount of time she will use this gun, it will serve her fine. (She likes her 7-30 Waters Contender carbine barrel better.) I had a nice little M8 3X Leupold on that Gamemaster. Its going back to Leupold for a different reticule. ( $40 bucks) The tapered Xhair it has now doesn't fit with what I have planned for this grand old scope. (It is my very first Leupold, bought about 1977 used!)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline White Foxx

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 05:10:56 AM »
Depends on what “allot” is, but I have had 20 to 40 dollar scopes that have never given me any trouble.  They were all low powered fixed scopes, and their optics were not real high quality, but they were better than open sights!   I like most scopes, but a Burris is better than a Tasco, and you sure pay the difference.   

I have had some that I had to send  back cause you could not see through them on the highest power, and at least one that fell apart before I ever tried to mount it. 

You can buy two or three cheap scopes for the price of one really good one, but you can’t fix one that breaks down when you need it most.  So, I will use cheap scopes as long as I am not going on some trip that I may never get to go on again.  If I’m going to shell out big bucks for a hunting trip, I am going to shell out big dollars on a new scope rather than rely on a cheap one.   When I was a kid, guns were very costly when compared to cost of going hunting, now you can buy several gun for less than one single and very short hunting trip.  I would rather buy a leo, burris, or a b&l and such than take any chance on missing a very costly day or days of hunting. 

I have had scopes fail, but none on any hunting trip.  I did have one fail during a match, and everyone was surprised that this “brand” of scope failed, but even the best sometimes go south, for no reason.  You pay your money and take your chances, the more you pay, up to a point, the less likely you are to have problems.  Just my two cents, or sense, if you will...........

White Foxx

Shoot Better at thelonerifleman.com

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
Some right now, don't recall who, has a Leupold Vari-X IIc 2-7 listed on the classifieds for $160 shipped right now. This is the way to go when buying scopes on a budget. Get a quality scope used and when you get a Leupold used it still has the same warranty as if you bought it new. I'd have taken it myself but right now finances are lower than I'd like and I truly don't need it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
That Vari xIIc is sold.  Keep an eye on ebay.  You can usually find a great deal out there.  Don't be fooled by the vari XII's.  They are still good scopes but they are not VXII's.  The old Vari XII is now the VXI.  My point is,  don't think you are getting a $299 scope for $160.  You are getting a $199 scope for $160.