Author Topic: New carronade barrel completed  (Read 5950 times)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Re: New carronade barrel completed
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2008, 05:15:11 AM »
I believe a good little red wagon would do the job! :D

Offline and7barton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »
Trying out the look with some iron wheels.
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 12:08:04 PM »
Shiver me timbers; but, that is looking quite nice!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the good work.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2008, 01:31:34 AM »
Interesting look; where did you find the wheels?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2008, 01:35:55 AM »
Interesting look; where did you find the wheels?

Ebay - Plenty of iron wheels on Ebay.
I've now got a fair collection here to play with.

Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »

El Caz,

This WWI photo shows that life is sometimes stranger than fiction. The 37mm ordnance isn't appropriate for the forum, but the pic proves that dogs actually were used as draft animals to haul ordnance.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »
the carriges look pre1899 to me.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
Hey Boom,

That pictures has given me an idea, all I need is an ordance wagon so I can put my lazy staff bulls to work.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »

El Caz,

This WWI photo shows that life is sometimes stranger than fiction. The 37mm ordnance isn't appropriate for the forum, but the pic proves that dogs actually were used as draft animals to haul ordnance.

LOL  ;D  look at the "armor" plating on the carriage .......  HOKIE MOKIE  ".....(@%!+(%*&^= !!!!!)...." how many gunners /sighters /ammo humpers , fit behind that tee tiny little plating !!!! :D

The manual says 8 !!!! ... but the angle has to be just right . And some dignity "could be" sacrificed .  BUT what happens behind the teeny , tiny lil ,...itsy ,bittsy , "safe place" ,  ;) 8) , stays behind the little teeny  tiny ..  ... ....

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »

That pictures has given me an idea, all I need is an ordance wagon so I can put my lazy staff bulls to work.

Those two look more than sturdy enough to pull your upcoming British mortar around with ease. All I've got to use for draft animals would be our two crazy cats.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2009, 02:06:53 AM »
Carriage was bolted together this morning (apart from two of the bolts.......I ran out of nuts) - and I slid the axles through, popped the wheels on and installed the barrel. The trunnion sockets will be steel-lined, with a retaining mechanism on each side which centralises the barrel trunnions. The barrel will be able to be removed by unlocking the two devices, then slid out. As you can see - it will have no trunnion capsquares on the top of the sidecheeks. The breast block and saddle block / elevating system have still to be made and installed - likewise any of the ironwork. The whole caboodle, once all the fittings have been fitted, will weigh around a quarter of a ton !
I've got to have those wheels sandblasted....... That's one of the next jobs.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2009, 05:47:59 AM »
Here's an update on the carriage - Work still progressing.
I'm now considering fitting a firing lock to the barrel. Spring-loaded hammer firing a .22" blank, with a lanyard-pulled retaining pin.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
Update - Today I completed the capsquare keys - Note that unusually they are vertical - and on the side of the sidecheeks !  - The keys lock in the two trunnion retaining plugs. To remove the barrel, the keys are removed, then the retaining plugs are pulled out. The barrel trunnions are then released and are loose inside the openings in the sidecheeks. The barrel can then be grasped and slid sideways slightly rotated, and one of the trunnion-ends is freed - Then the barrel can be lifted right out of the carriage.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2009, 06:25:38 PM »
It's looking good! Keep the pics coming! I already had a couple of simular carriage wheels, I like your idea of mounting, with all thread. I was going to use the original axle, with u shaped braces bolted on, but I like the drilled-thru style. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »
It's looking good! Keep the pics coming! I already had a couple of simular carriage wheels, I like your idea of mounting, with all thread. I was going to use the original axle, with u shaped braces bolted on, but I like the drilled-thru style. BoomLover

Drilling through a total of around four feet of solid oak was a bit of an ordeal !
It took me three days - what with allowing my little electric drill time to cool off.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2009, 03:24:32 AM »
The carriage is now on its wheels, although the wheel retaining method hasn't been decided yet.
Here it is. The carriage alone weighs in excess of 250 pounds I reckon, but I've yet to actually weigh it.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
Here's the current state of the build at the beginning of March 2009.
Just a few things to tidy up and she's done !

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »
Torden looks brutal, (I mean that in a good way) it has a no prisoners taken, utilitarian look to it; very good!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »
I'll bet the smoke and fire will look just as tough!   :D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »
Tuff-lookin', no-nonsense machine! Very beefy, good job, worth the wait! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:27 AM »
I give up!!! I surrender!!! Don't shoot!!!! Mean, bad and very impressive. I am in awe of the brute. Congratulations on such a great looking beast.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »
This is such a different and interesting concept...I can't wait to see the finished product!

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30:30 AM »
This is such a different and interesting concept...I can't wait to see the finished product!

Test firing next week with GB's and spherical lead shot.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2009, 02:28:05 AM »
Is this a good location for the lead plaque ?

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2009, 04:10:25 AM »
Dan, this beastie is so intimidating from the front, that you have picked the best place to put the plaque! Maybe a depiction of a "flaming bomb" would be more appropiate for the front, so "they" could see what is going to be coming at them! Great job all around! BoomLover

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2009, 04:16:57 AM »
Dan, this beastie is so intimidating from the front, that you have picked the best place to put the plaque! Maybe a depiction of a "flaming bomb" would be more appropiate for the front, so "they" could see what is going to be coming at them! Great job all around! BoomLover

There's not a lot of room left on the front !
I had intended to fix the shield on the front, but messed up on my clearances and went and fixed that big steel rope eye on the front......completely ruling out the idea.